The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fusarium
Who else thought 2011 S1 was hard. I got 5.2😬

Don't worry. Go through the mistakes and see where you went wrong. I found 2011 okay but this happened to me for 2010. Sometimes it just happens.
Reply 981
last minute tips????/
I think the biggest factor in section one is whether you're good at spotting conclusions, assumptions, weaknesses and strengths in articles. They make up the bulk of most my marks and the paper.
Original post by studentsixth
Don't worry. Go through the mistakes and see where you went wrong. I found 2011 okay but this happened to me for 2010. Sometimes it just happens.

Thanks bro. What did you get if i may ask.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I think the biggest factor in section one is whether you're good at spotting conclusions, assumptions, weaknesses and strengths in articles. They make up the bulk of most my marks and the paper.

To be honest I'm glad! 2009-2012 are just too problem solving heavy for me. Recent papers seem very argument heavy which is just down to practice.
Yes. It's usually the other way round for a lot of people.

Thanks!
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Not for Imperial College. They use your lowest score to put you in a band. If you get 5.0 and 8.0, you'd be put in Band 3. Someone got 7 something and 4.7 last year and was put in band 4.

Thank you! Do you know how it is for UCL?
Original post by Mo_elheramy
Thank you! Do you know how it is for UCL?

4.8 / 4.9 / 3A was the average last year. As long as your above this you're gold.
Hey, could anyone please take a look at this essay for me? It's from last years paper.
“Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.” (Pablo Picasso). Explain what is meant by this statement. Argue to the contrary. What are the real limits of technology?

The statement by Picasso is a view shared by few people in this modern, technology-obsessed world. It suggests that because computers cannot ask questions or think creatively and engage in intelligent conversation like humans, they have no real use. It seems to suggest that simply being able to provide answers is not enough.

However, many a person would disagree with this statement as computer technology has brought with it a plethora of modern advancements. Besides the internet, which in itself has changed our world in a multitude of positive ways, computers have allowed for medical advancement. The sequencing of the entire human genome has now been revolutionised with the creation of bioinformatics (put simply, the use of computers to help sequence DNA codes). With the ability to further understand genetic disorders and the codes which make up the DNA in our every cell, humans can put the new technology to use in researching once unknown diseases. The invention of computers has not only brought human advancement, it has made finding information hugely convenient. The need for spending hours searching through libraries for 'answers' has been eradicated with the invention of computers and the internet. Sometimes the 'answers' are all we seek.

On the other hand, the question which technology has yet to answer, is 'what is the limit?’ The problem is that no one knows. Although technology has brought huge advancement and solved an infinite amount of time, it brings with it the fear of the unknown. Artificial intelligence is a fascinating and pressing current issue which could call into question the humans’ place at the top of the food chain. What would happen if computers were to develop intelligence? What if they developed intelligence beyond our current capabilities? It is questions such as these which spread fear among those who question the real limits of technology.
4.8 / 4.9 / 3A was the average last year. As long as your above this you're gold.

Thank you!
Guys do we need to know about moments and also the names of different vessels like the hepatic portal vein etc?
Reply 991
Original post by Medicine1303
Attachment not found

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1477507348.958208.jpg

Does anyone know how to work these out? Thank you ( its from 2010 section 2 )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope this helps :smile:IMG_1033.jpg
Reply 992
Original post by gliitter
Guys do we need to know about moments and also the names of different vessels like the hepatic portal vein etc?

Yes! I think you have to know, (superior and inferior) vena cava, aorta, pulmonary artery and vein, renal artery and vein, hepatic portal vein, hepatic artery and vein, capillaries and their functions as well.
Original post by Earth1
Yes! I think you have to know, (superior and inferior) vena cava, aorta, pulmonary artery and vein, renal artery and vein, hepatic portal vein, hepatic artery and vein, capillaries and their functions as well.

I'm pretty sure the spec doesn't mention the hepatic portal veins

I second that

I don't even know what a hepatic portal vein is :/
Does anyone have any tips or advice for section 2 timing? Im really struggling with it atm. I feel if i had enough time I could get the right answer but im really time conscious which means i tend to rush and get it wrong.
ok, not learning about those then lol
circuits are actually horrible, I hate them with a burning passion
Hey guys, just wondering whether you could help explain how to do this question to me please? :smile:

There are two types of tree in a forest pine trees and birch trees. When a pine tree is cut down, the resulting timber can be used to make 26 tonnes of paper. When a birch tree is cut down the resulting timber can be used to make 13Kg of paper more than the pine tree. Every day a log cutter cuts down the same number of trees, but only cuts down one type of tree per day.

The log cutter continues to cut either birch or pine trees for 30 days. He is informed by the paper factory that the same amount of paper has been produced from the birch tree as from the pine tree. Assuming that there was no timber wastage in the paper factory, on how many days did the log cutter cut down pine trees.

A)12
B) 16
C) 17
D) 18
E) 19

The answer is D, if that helps! Thank you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending