The Student Room Group

Self Taught degree

Hey all,

I have been learning about self taught degrees and degrees by examination. The only one I have seen and looks to be reasonable in the UK is that offered by the University of London. I am just asking whether anybody here has done this or something similar and could tell me a bit more from a student's perspective. Is the degree recognised and deemed respectable by employers? Is it worth the time and money (bearing in mind time and money is less). Can it be done whilst studying a degree at another university?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
The Open University is generally thought to be the best for distance learning degrees. You wouldn't be able to do it whilst studying elsewhere as you wouldn't have enough time or money.
A University of London degree will be recognised worldwide and will definitely be respected by employers. The Open University is the big player; it offers more support and better learning resources. It is recognised and respected by most employers in the UK, but its international reputation is nowhere near as good as UoL's.There are other options too, depending on what you want to study - what subject are you interested in?
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin
A University of London degree will be recognised worldwide and will definitely be respected by employers. The Open University is the big player; it offers more support and better learning resources. It is recognised and respected by most employers in the UK, but its international reputation is nowhere near as good as UoL's.There are other options too, depending on what you want to study - what subject are you interested in?

Thanks for the reply. The Bsc Banking and Finance looks good to me, given that Chemical Engineering opens up a lot of employment opportunities there, but it's still competitive so I would want to have some sort of edge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vuvuzela
Thanks for the reply. The Bsc Banking and Finance looks good to me, given that Chemical Engineering opens up a lot of employment opportunities there, but it's still competitive so I would want to have some sort of edge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure what you mean. Business/Finance and Chemical Engineering are very different degrees, which one do you want to do?
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin
Not sure what you mean. Business/Finance and Chemical Engineering are very different degrees, which one do you want to do?

I am studying Chemical Engineering the old fashioned way fingers crossed starting next year. Banking and finance is the degree that interested me from the UoL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vuvuzela
I am studying Chemical Engineering the old fashioned way fingers crossed starting next year. Banking and finance is the degree that interested me from the UoL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't be able to do two degrees simultaneously. It is perfectly possible to get banking/finance job with a Chemical Engineering degree; a finance degree won't help you.
Reply 7
Original post by Snufkin
You won't be able to do two degrees simultaneously. It is perfectly possible to get banking/finance job with a Chemical Engineering degree; a finance degree won't help you.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending