The Student Room Group

Asian Parents

Scroll to see replies

go pray
Original post by Miss.Unknow
They want a good future for you!
So what matters most to you? the past or the future? They are trying to help you secure a future for yourself. What's the point of gaming and partying and wasting your time now, but regretting it in the future when the time comes.

ok u say that
but ok when i get married and my kids ask me wat i did when i was young, what am i gonna say?
i just revised and revised
They want a good future for you!
So what matters most to you? the past or the future? They are trying to help you secure a future for yourself. What's the point of gaming and partying and wasting your time now, but regretting it in the future when the time comes.

exactly. crying about not having video games lol he will grow up one day.
Original post by Indeterminate
Normal? Far from it. In the context of Asian parents, however, some people may think otherwise :tongue:

You could either try talking to them or be patient until you leave for uni. If you can somehow muster the courage to do so, then I guess you could get some support to find alternative accommodation :smile:

It's still abnormal, lmao.

My own parents, my cousins' parents and all my Punjabi friends' parents were kind of strict until we were about 12/13, then backed off. They started telling me 'we trust you to try your best at school'.

None of this no console/no party BS.

They want a good future for you!So what matters most to you? the past or the future? They are trying to help you secure a future for yourself. What's the point of gaming and partying and wasting your time now, but regretting it in the future when the time comes.
He's being melodramatic but enjoying yourself isn't 'wasting time', it's living your life. You can enjoy yourself without it being a detriment to your future. Besides, living just for your future is a flawed philosophy in and of itself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mr.Malice
exactly. crying about not having video games lol he will grow up one day.

i'm not crying bout video games
its just my parents wont let me have fun and let me study at the same time
all they want is me to study and study
Original post by Helpmepickone
ok u say that
but ok when i get married and my kids ask me wat i did when i was young, what am i gonna say?

starting to wonder if you have mental issues...
go play video games then and not revise.
then become a loser. tell ur kids about that.
Original post by dairychocolate
It's still abnormal, lmao.

My own parents, my cousins' parents and all my Punjabi friends' parents were kind of strict until we were about 12/13, then backed off. They started telling me 'we trust you to try your best at school'.

None of this no console/no party BS.

my parents aren't like that
they get mad at me if i dont get the highest in my year
they want me to be the cleverest int he whole year

South Indian?
South Indian?

sri lankan
ok u say that

If i was your kid, i would look up to you and would want to be as successful as you when i grow up!
OP some people are desperate for education in other countries, they don't have anything, no playstation, no internet, not even proper houses or food, yet pray for a proper education and caring parents that would help them reach their dreams. Heck! Some of them don't even have parents. Be Thankful and stop complaining and being a drama queen.
sri lankan

So close.

what exactly is the issue with that.
do you want to be the dumbest kid?
do you want to get the lowest grades?

:rolleyes:
If i was your kid, i would look up to you and would want to be as successful as you when i grow up!
OP some people are desperate for education in other countries, they don't have anything, no playstation, no internet, not even proper houses or food, yet pray for a proper education and caring parents that would help them reach their dreams. Heck! Some of them don't even have parents. Be Thankful and stop complaining and being a drama queen.

its not about that the education i'm complaining bout
i care bout my educations
its the way my parents treat me compared to my mates

He's being melodramatic but enjoying yourself isn't 'wasting time', it's living your life. You can enjoy yourself without it being a detriment to your future. Besides, living just for your future is a flawed philosophy in and of itself.

the only flawed philosophy here is trying enjoying yourself when you don't achieve things in life. OP just wants to bum around clearly. he won't be enjoying himself if he is a failure. :hmmm:
Original post by Mr.Malice
the only flawed philosophy here is trying enjoying yourself when you don't achieve things in life. OP just wants to bum around clearly. he won't be enjoying himself if he is a failure. :hmmm:

OP is complaining because his parents expect him to just work all the time. That sort of parenting can easily lead to burnout and people going wild as soon as they get some freedom (eg. at uni).

OP is a goon but his parents seem way too strict as well. Working hard all year isn't even the optimal way for everyone to achieve sick grades, I know it wasn't for me.
its not about that the education i'm complaining bout
i care bout my educations
its the way my parents treat me compared to my mates

You missed the whole point.
What i'm saying is, people are desperate for education to build their future. Your parents are assisting you in building your future by being strict on you. Complaining that you don't own a 'playstation' or 'can't go to your friends house' shows how much of an ungrateful person you are. It's very hard to find a job now and maybe even harder in the future, getting a good degree by hard revision will guarantee you a better chance of securing a good future for yourself.
trust me , no its not
what am i gonna do when i look back at my childhood with my kids and then i have to tell them i dont have anything
everyone else is enjoying their life and studying, but me, no i'm stuck in hell

Trust it will be worth, when you go off to a good uni studying medicine or dentistry you'll be having the time of your life partying and clubbing, whilst your old school friends are stuck in the same old place.
OP is complaining because his parents expect him to just work all the time. That sort of parenting can easily lead to burnout and people going wild as soon as they get some freedom (eg. at uni).

OP is a goon but his parents seem way too strict as well. Working hard all year isn't even the optimal way for everyone to achieve sick grades, I know it wasn't for me.

it seems OP doesn't even work hard lol
You missed the whole point.
What i'm saying is, people are desperate for education to build their future. Your parents are assisting you in building your future by being strict on you. Complaining that you don't own a 'playstation' or 'can't go to your friends house' shows how much of an ungrateful person you are. It's very hard to find a job now and maybe even harder in the future, getting a good degree by hard revision will guarantee you a better chance of securing a good future for yourself.

trust me i care about my education and i do study hard
they dont let me be happy tho
Original post by helpmepickone
trust me i care about my education and i do study hard
they dont let me be happy tho

lol m8 r u 10.
Plz read 3 ****ing posts from before.
im so done with you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending