The Student Room Group

Transferring from bath to southampton

Right guys, here's my situation. I'm studying mech eng at bath uni, and in my first year. Now originally I was on a different course which i decided i didn't want to do anymore during my gap year, so i chose bath on the merits of this course rather than the mech eng course. Whilst i am doing fine in my studies, and finding the course alright I am not liking the atmosphere at the uni. Most people exist behind closed doors, there's alot of bickering/bitching which doesn't half remind me of secondry school, and the idea of doing anything other than getting absolutely wasted for a social event is unheard of! Not that i don't get wasted more than often enough, but there's other things to do right? Basically i'd just like to move to a more chilled atmosphere. Oh, and there's far to many men at this uni...

Now, i've been accepted to transfer into second year at soton. But still can't decide, it's not that i'm having a **** time here, it really does take alot to get me down, but on the other hand it's the least fun i've had since about year 7 at school... Southampton seemed like such a chilled out and down to earth department and i really, really liked it. Had I originally applied to uni to do mech eng i expect i would have ended up there.

Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation themselves or is studying mech eng at southamton at the moment and could give me a shout on how your finding the course and social life? If anyone else want's to thrown in their 2p please feel free! I'm unsure as whether to go ahead with the transfer cos it's such a gamble as i can get along at bath i suppose, though i can't help thinking i'd have a much better time at soton?

Cheers Dude's / Dudesses!
Reply 1
Crash Master
Right guys, here's my situation. I'm studying mech eng at bath uni, and in my first year. Now originally I was on a different course which i decided i didn't want to do anymore during my gap year, so i chose bath on the merits of this course rather than the mech eng course. Whilst i am doing fine in my studies, and finding the course alright I am not liking the atmosphere at the uni. Most people exist behind closed doors, there's alot of bickering/bitching which doesn't half remind me of secondry school, and the idea of doing anything other than getting absolutely wasted for a social event is unheard of! Not that i don't get wasted more than often enough, but there's other things to do right? Basically i'd just like to move to a more chilled atmosphere. Oh, and there's far to many men at this uni...

Now, i've been accepted to transfer into second year at soton. But still can't decide, it's not that i'm having a **** time here, it really does take alot to get me down, but on the other hand it's the least fun i've had since about year 7 at school... Southampton seemed like such a chilled out and down to earth department and i really, really liked it. Had I originally applied to uni to do mech eng i expect i would have ended up there.

Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation themselves or is studying mech eng at southamton at the moment and could give me a shout on how your finding the course and social life? If anyone else want's to thrown in their 2p please feel free! I'm unsure as whether to go ahead with the transfer cos it's such a gamble as i can get along at bath i suppose, though i can't help thinking i'd have a much better time at soton?

Cheers Dude's / Dudesses!

Hey, first I'll just say that I can totally empathise with how you are feeling about Bath (the points you make, I'm not actually there).

I hate the whole culture of going out and getting battered every night. Why can't we do something else? Engineering is too much hard work to do that all the time and get up feeling rough and needing to go to bed at 2pm when you get in from lectures. I just don't like it.

The male thing, I can PAINFULLY relate to you here. Bath is not good for girls, because it offers a lot of engineering and not a lot of the social sciences and arts. Southampton on the other hand offers a lot of engineering (extremely good engineering, I might add) but also all the other stuff, so I'll guess that there are far far far more girls. To be frank though, if you are doing Engineering, you just have to get used to meeting very few girls.

My concern for you is that, like most places, the whole 'the only activity of an evening is getting trashed' thing will probably still exist in Soton. It may well be more laid back generally, though.

We need to wait for someone from Soton to compare it to Bath, but other than that I think you really just need to ask yourself if you are truly happy at Bath - if you aren't, then I suppose a move probably won't hurt. It certainly shouldn't hurt your education or employment, Soton is fine for that.

Can I just ask what degree were you originally doing before transferring to mech eng? And did they accept you into Soton on the basis of your A level grades or did they stipulate a certain level of acheivement in your first year at Bath?
Reply 2
yeah dude, I was doing architecture, basically because graphics, physics and maths are my favorite subjects. And supposedly the architecture course at bath is alot more heavily based in maths than anywhere else. However, I soon realised there's bugger all maths or physics in it really so the move to engineering seemed like the sensible decision and am well chufffed i made that move!

And, yeah, soton asked me to get a 60% average for the year, basically because their first years have to get 55% to progress onto the masters program and obviously i'll have a bit of catch up to play anyway. But I got 72% in my first term so i think the 60 should be perfectly acheivable!
Reply 3
Crash Master
yeah dude, I was doing architecture, basically because graphics, physics and maths are my favorite subjects. And supposedly the architecture course at bath is alot more heavily based in maths than anywhere else. However, I soon realised there's bugger all maths or physics in it really so the move to engineering seemed like the sensible decision and am well chufffed i made that move!

And, yeah, soton asked me to get a 60% average for the year, basically because their first years have to get 55% to progress onto the masters program and obviously i'll have a bit of catch up to play anyway. But I got 72% in my first term so i think the 60 should be perfectly acheivable!

Ah okay thanks for that info. Can I be a bit rude and ask what grades you got at A level? I'm considering attempting a move similar to yours, and I think I've missed out on a requirement for some courses by a grade, and want to know if they might let me off if I show strong performance in my first year of degree.

You have literally the same grade as me for first semester too, and you've made a very good move coming over to engineering!
Most places ask you to get 40% or more if you don't want to get kicked out, and 55% or more to stay on (or progress onto, if you are a masters student, which I realise doesn't apply to Bath as they don't offer BEng) the Masters.
Reply 4
Well, i got three A's, but Southampton seemed didn't seem to fussed about it as long as your maths is in order. If your considering moving i'd definatly give southampton a shot, I also checked out leeds who said if i want to change they won't do anything until they get a reference from my tutor and a ucas application. Soton on the other hand invited me down to see the department and for an informal two way interview, no mention of going through UCAS at all!
Reply 5
Crash Master
Well, i got three A's, but Southampton seemed didn't seem to fussed about it as long as your maths is in order. If your considering moving i'd definatly give southampton a shot, I also checked out leeds who said if i want to change they won't do anything until they get a reference from my tutor and a ucas application. Soton on the other hand invited me down to see the department and for an informal two way interview, no mention of going through UCAS at all!

Oh that sounds good, most places I've had contact with have said they want me to go through UCAS. Cheers mate.
Reply 6
Do a lot of people lock themselves in their room and just work at Soton?
Reply 7
Samtooth
Do a lot of people lock themselves in their room and just work at Soton?

To be quite honest, doing engineering will require you to do that a hell of a lot more than most any other degree -wherever you go.
Reply 8
Scuttle
To be quite honest, doing engineering will require you to do that a hell of a lot more than most any other degree -wherever you go.

How many hours would you say you put into private work a week?
Reply 9
around 15 hrs i'd guess
Reply 10
Did you manage to move to Southampton ?
how did you find it?

Latest

Trending

Trending