The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

The Tannery or Central Village

If anyone is currently staying in the Tannery or Central Village please could you tell me a bit about the pros/cons of each accommodation and whether it's worth the money you pay? I'm less keen on going out all the time so I don't mind not being near all the clubs but I am a social person so I like doing spontaneous things.

I really like the idea of accommodation with a common room so if you think there are better accommodations suited for me then let me know :smile:
Original post by Anikaya
If anyone is currently staying in the Tannery or Central Village please could you tell me a bit about the pros/cons of each accommodation and whether it's worth the money you pay? I'm less keen on going out all the time so I don't mind not being near all the clubs but I am a social person so I like doing spontaneous things.

I really like the idea of accommodation with a common room so if you think there are better accommodations suited for me then let me know :smile:

Sorry for the super late reply. I live in neither. However I live opposite the Tannery in sentinel towers, and have a friend in the Tannery.

Tannery
Pros:
-Huggggeeee kitchens like oh my gosh
-Considerably cheaper than CV
-About 15 minutes walk to the business school and the edge sports centre, about 30 minutes to the Michael Sadler building (languages mainly) though a frequent bus runs from RIGHT outside to the parkinson building for only £1 each way
-Near an Aldi? Not really the best pro
-Next door to the fire station, depending on where you get put in the building can 'look at fit fire men'

Cons:
-Rooms aren't that great, they're decent but nothing fantastic
-It is all uphill to university.
-It's not 'on campus'
-Whilst there is a common room I have never ever seen it used

CV
Pros
-On campus
-Supposedly very nice rooms
-Party central (this would be a con for me but there we go)
-Very close to Morrison's to go shopping :tongue:

Cons:
-Oversubscribed every year. If you make this your choice you have to accept. it's possible you won't actually get to live here and may be placed elsewhere
-Very very expensive.

Guess it depends on what you specifically want :smile: I love Sentinel Towers to be honest, but it's a 'quiet' accommodation (I say this like that because every weekend there are parties)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I live in the Tannery...

Pros:
-Lovely sized rooms/kitchens
- En-suite (always a bonus)
- Fairly cheap compared to your other choice
- 15-30 minute walk to uni dependent on what building you're in
- 20 min walk into the city centre
- Maintenance requests are amazingly quick and office staff are great
- Staff come in to clean your kitchen every 2 weeks
Cons:
- Uphill walk but your legs get super toned
- Common room isn't used that often from what I've seen
- No/limited parking
- Internet is rubbish in certain blocks (although they're looking to fix it)
i lived in sentinel towers also but had friends both at the tannery and central village. Both are super social places with good facilities etc. However, i am in second year now and u will notice once u come to uni you really can't be bothered to do the walk from the Tannery to your lectures. its about a 15 min walk onto campus on average which is brutal in the rain and for a 9am. Central village may be more expensive I'm not sure have a look at prices on the accommodation pages but your literally on campus. its the cheapest on campus place for sure and everyone who i know that has lived there hasn't regretted it. your lecture halls will literally be a less than 5 min walk away. If your a morning person who doesn't mind the walk then go for the tannery the rooms are pretty big but if u know you'll hate getting up defo go for CV. knowing your lectures are 2 mins away will make u feel bad if u don't go haha.
Reply 4
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Sorry for the super late reply. I live in neither. However I live opposite the Tannery in sentinel towers, and have a friend in the Tannery.

Tannery
Pros:
-Huggggeeee kitchens like oh my gosh
-Considerably cheaper than CV
-About 15 minutes walk to the business school and the edge sports centre, about 30 minutes to the Michael Sadler building (languages mainly) though a frequent bus runs from RIGHT outside to the parkinson building for only £1 each way
-Near an Aldi? Not really the best pro
-Next door to the fire station, depending on where you get put in the building can 'look at fit fire men'

Cons:
-Rooms aren't that great, they're decent but nothing fantastic
-It is all uphill to university.
-It's not 'on campus'
-Whilst there is a common room I have never ever seen it used

CV
Pros
-On campus
-Supposedly very nice rooms
-Party central (this would be a con for me but there we go)
-Very close to Morrison's to go shopping :tongue:

Cons:
-Oversubscribed every year. If you make this your choice you have to accept. it's possible you won't actually get to live here and may be placed elsewhere
-Very very expensive.

Guess it depends on what you specifically want :smile: I love Sentinel Towers to be honest, but it's a 'quiet' accommodation (I say this like that because every weekend there are parties)

thank you! :smile: could you suggest anymore quieter accommodations please? I'm not too keen on partying 24/7 and so would like somewhere a tad quieter to stay if there is...
Reply 5
Original post by lorn.
I live in the Tannery...

Pros:
Cons:
- No/limited parking

fab thanks! Got a few more questions for you: are they double or single beds? is the tannery known as a loud or quiet accommodation? Would you say there are other halls which have common rooms which are more frequently used? How did you deal with the internet issue as I feel this may bug me?
Original post by Anikaya
thank you! :smile: could you suggest anymore quieter accommodations please? I'm not too keen on partying 24/7 and so would like somewhere a tad quieter to stay if there is...

Sentinel Towers is on the whole quiet as far as student accommodation goes. Though it all depends on how considerate your flat mates are!

Also the Tannery has 3/4 double beds (4ft double)
Reply 7
Original post by Anikaya
fab thanks! Got a few more questions for you: are they double or single beds? is the tannery known as a loud or quiet accommodation? Would you say there are other halls which have common rooms which are more frequently used? How did you deal with the internet issue as I feel this may bug me?

3/4 doubles
quiet due to it being healthcare students (can be loud on occasions though)
i'm honestly not sure about common rooms since i don't go to other accommodation
i bought an ethernet cable so when the wifi is acting up i plug it in on my desk
Reply 8
Original post by lorn.
3/4 doubles
quiet due to it being healthcare students (can be loud on occasions though)
i'm honestly not sure about common rooms since i don't go to other accommodation
i bought an ethernet cable so when the wifi is acting up i plug it in on my desk

do you have any pictures of your room and the kitchen?
Reply 9
Original post by Anikaya
do you have any pictures of your room and the kitchen?

Will PM you pictures if I can find them
Reply 10
Original post by lorn.
I live in the Tannery...

Pros:
Cons:
- No/limited parking

Would you regard the Tannery as a social accommodation?? and could you also send me the pictures of the kitchen and the room so I can have an idea of what the accommodation is really like? Thanks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest