The Student Room Group

Ugandan president said gays are 'disgusting', so where's the petition to ban him?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abruiseonthesky
Well given that the only reason I've heard of this story is because you made a thread on it, I'd wager it's proooobably because no one has a clue it's happened..? Plus what someone else said (I can't remember who because I'm an idiot).

This is just one example of many homophobic statements made by political leaders in other countries which have not led to a 500k petition.
I'm very glad there is no petition. While I disagree in the strongest terms possible with what this guy said, I think it's incredibly dangerous to just ban someone because of their views - because what is considered 'beyond the pale' is extremely subjective and it could lead to a slippery slope - because it's all very well sitting and pontificating about how his views are so unwelcome in this country, but what happens when it gets to the stage where anyone who disagrees with government line is deported, imprisoned or banned? It's much better in view to invite President Museveni to a televised debate on homosexuality the UK where his bigoted views can be challenged and trounced.
Original post by Lady Comstock
If someone from the Deep South of the USA said 'I hate gays', I would find it less shocking than if a human rights worker in Uganda said 'I hate gays'. Location has nothing to do with it and seems to me to be an excuse when the answer is basically one is more trendy than the other.

We're not talking about ordinary citizens here, though, are we? We're talking about the potential (though I hope to god not) leader of the US, which prides itself on being progressive/forward-thinking/holding western values etc. - and so its leader should also embody those values - and the leader of Uganda, a highly religious country where homosexuality is illegal. Even if you just look at the laws of the 2 countries, there's a clear difference in what you can reasonably expect from both leaders. That doesn't make it right, but it makes it more understandable for a leader of a country where homosexuality is illegal to say that (interestingly, that law was left in Uganda by the British empire).
(edited 8 years ago)
Because no one cares what happens in a 3rd world country like Uganda which contributes relatively little towards us.
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
I'm very glad there is no petition. While I disagree in the strongest terms possible with what this guy said, I think it's incredibly dangerous to just ban someone because of their views - because what is considered 'beyond the pale' is extremely subjective and it could lead to a slippery slope - because it's all very well sitting and pontificating about how his views are so unwelcome in this country, but what happens when it gets to the stage where anyone who disagrees with government line is deported, imprisoned or banned? It's much better in view to invite President Museveni to a televised debate on homosexuality the UK where his bigoted views can be challenged and trounced.

I agree. How will you ever get change if you just ban people from speaking? Far better to educate.
This is just one example of many homophobic statements made by political leaders in other countries which have not led to a 500k petition.

See my other post, makes more sense for us to just have one :smile:
We're not talking about ordinary citizens here, though, are we? We're talking about the potential (though I hope to god not) leader of the US, which prides itself on being progressive/forward-thinking/holding western values etc. - and so its leader should also embody those values - and the leader of Uganda, a highly religious country where homosexuality is illegal. Even if you just look at the laws of the 2 countries, there's a clear difference in what you can reasonably expect from both leaders. That doesn't make it right, but it makes it more understandable for a leader of a country where homosexuality is illegal to say that.

So people only sign petitions in large droves based on the person saying the statement rather than the content of the statement? A poor reflection on people who sign petitions like the 500k one, then...
(edited 8 years ago)
But it's not shocking to hear it from Trump, so I struggle to see your point.

Cause he's a known idiot xD
So people only sign petitions in large droves based on the person saying the statement rather than the content of the statement? A poor reflection of people who sign petitions like the 500k one, then...

No, it's about context, too. Plus, the leader of the US is, arguably, the most powerful person in the world. The leader of Uganda... well, I don't even know his name, yet can name almost all of the candidates across both US parties. And, like I said before, if people don't know about it, they won't do owt. Also, what's a petition in the UK/US gonna do about someone in Uganda?
Reply 29
The tumblr crowd or those reknowned satanist 'lefties'?

both
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/24/world/africa/uganda-homosexuality-interview/

Guess it's not trendy enough to warrant a 500k petition...

You do realise the left will only start a petition if their religion is attacked?
Original post by demx9
both

Oh yes because all lefties let everyone but white people get away with anything they want to, that's exactly what we do 100% yep yep

(Have I made my point yet? :rolleyes:)
OP you need to chill, sniping at people for no reason
Original post by Gears265
You do realise the left will only start a oetition if their religion is attacked?

Aren't you of the opinion that the satanist left is the defender of Islam and only Islam?
Reply 34
Oh yes because all lefties let everyone but white people get away with anything they want to, that's exactly what we do 100% yep yep

(Have I made my point yet? :rolleyes:)

I'm talking about white SJW ...
Why ban him? Ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by demx9
I'm talking about white SJW ...

I'm half white and British, I'm kinda there :wink: also I wouldn't call myself an SJW, just the ultimate sinner (left wing)
No, it's about context, too. Plus, the leader of the US is, arguably, the most powerful person in the world. The leader of Uganda... well, I don't even know his name, yet can name almost all of the candidates across both US parties.

Are you suggesting that an African leader saying 'I want to kill all gays immediately and will try to enact this' is somehow less worthy of a 500k petition, because of 'context', than a petition in response to an American leader saying 'I am going to stop serving black people in my personal businesses'? (I think both statements are very wrong) Again, that's a poor reflection on the type of people who sign such petitions if 'context' is all they worry about and not content.
(edited 8 years ago)
Aren't you of the opinion that the satanist left is the defender of Islam and only Islam?

Not only Islam but primarily yes, atleast so out of all the religions that exist in society
Original post by A level sufferer
OP you need to chill, sniping at people for no reason

Which bit of 'sniping' had no reason behind it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending