The Student Room Group

50 years of hurt this summer 1966-2016

In the summer of 1966 England won the World Cup.
A few days before the final the best mathematicians in the country had to face this test
Any thoughts particularly on the "red" questions?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
A few days before the final the best mathematicians in the country had to face this test

LOL. I say no more. I might try them though, first one looks interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm

Scary.

I get tan(αβ)=±u2v24uvu+v\displaystyle \tan(\alpha - \beta) = \frac{\pm \sqrt{u^2v^2-4uv}}{u+v} which looks odd.
Reply 3
Original post by atsruser
Scary.

I get tan(αβ)=±u2v24uvu+v\displaystyle \tan(\alpha - \beta) = \frac{\pm \sqrt{u^2v^2-4uv}}{u+v} which looks odd.

I have no answers
and I am too drunk to try/think at present
4. ii. because those red squares look intimidating :smile: WP_20151219_02_25_38_Pro.jpg
And for 2. ii. sin(θ2)=12sin(θ)+116sin3(θ)+7256sin5(θ)\displaystyle \sin ( \frac{\theta}{2} ) = \frac{1}{2} \sin(\theta) + \frac{1}{16} \sin^3(\theta) + \frac{7}{256} \sin^5(\theta)

it took a page and a half of scrawling, using a dodgy method I've picked up from STEP. Eg Step III 5 1995, in fact (4. ii.) is in 4 on that paper.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EricPiphany
And for 2. ii. sin(θ2)=12sin(θ)+116sin3(θ)+7256sin5(θ)\displaystyle \sin ( \frac{\theta}{2} ) = \frac{1}{2} \sin(\theta) + \frac{1}{16} \sin^3(\theta) + \frac{7}{256} \sin^5(\theta)

it took a page and a half of scrawling, using a dodgy method I've picked up from STEP. Eg Step III 5 1995, in fact (4. ii.) is in 4 on that paper.

On an average day, how many hours do you practice maths?
Original post by AlmostNotable
On an average day, how many hours do you practice maths?

I don't know myself :smile: Usually I'm really lazy, on an average average day I'm in college doing 4 A2s at college and hardly do any challenging maths. I have off for Christmas now, and yesterday I must've done about three to four hours. Three STEP problems, these problems, and some dabbling with spherical coordinates.
I don't know myself :smile: Usually I'm really lazy, on an average average day I'm in college doing 4 A2s at college and hardly do any challenging maths. I have off for Christmas now, and yesterday I must've done about three to four hours. Three STEP problems, these problems, and some dabbling with spherical coordinates.

I need to step my game up. Couldn't do any of those questions.
(edited 8 years ago)
4. ii. because those red squares look intimidating :smile: WP_20151219_02_25_38_Pro.jpg

That is a step question from step I. It has come up twice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
That is a step question from step I. It has come up twice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I've come across it. It can be done without complex numbers, but in the step paper I mentioned it asks for the sin and cos results, making the complex method more efficient, because the cos part is just the real part of the same result.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, I've come across it. It can be done without complex numbers, but in the step paper I mentioned it asks for the sin and cos results, making the complex method more efficient.

Yes in the early papers. Very nice questions indeed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm

ah yes the 11+ was much tougher then

:yep:
I remember a thread on this forum containing some of the old Cambridge Colleges Examinations but I can no longer find it. Nonetheless I did at the time download a few to have a look at at some point (a point which has still not come as I had forgotten until today!) but I cannot work out how to upload them as they are too large to be attached.
Reply 14
Original post by 16Characters....
I remember a thread on this forum containing some of the old Cambridge Colleges Examinations but I can no longer find it. Nonetheless I did at the time download a few to have a look at at some point (a point which has still not come as I had forgotten until today!) but I cannot work out how to upload them as they are too large to be attached.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=58552459&postcount=21

Here you go. :-)

Aha! Thanks, your searching skills are much better than mine.
Original post by TeeEm
the best mathematicians in the country had to face this test

That's a bit dramatic, it's only an S level paper for A level - so the equivalent of an AEA.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Compost
That's a bit dramatic, it's only an S level paper for A level - so the equivalent on an AEA.

Yh but it looks much harder then AEA and STEP. From what I have done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They don't look too scary. :biggrin:
2nd part of 5. 4R?
WP_20151219_16_25_59_Pro.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply