The Student Room Group

Awesome Genius - Porsche Mega Thread

Scroll to see replies

Nah, too much work.
Original post by Awesome Genius
Id be too worried of spinning off and damaging the car! At least while its new!

So what I'm getting from this is that you've taken out a loan to buy a status symbol you can't afford, and your plan is to not do anything with it until it's old enough to not be a status symbol any more.
Original post by SmashConcept
So what I'm getting from this is that you've taken out a loan to buy a status symbol you can't afford, and your plan is to not do anything with it until it's old enough to not be a status symbol any more.

The first bit is true, except that its from my parents, and I can afford it, just not all at once. Like the initial £35k is coming from me. The rest I will just pay them back from my salary.

The latter is not true. I just don't intend to track it.
Nah, too much work.

More so than medicine?
Reply 44
INTERIOR

@Most Competitive@Bill Gates

Any thoughts about the colour combo/

Not sure girls really like Bordeaux leather. You should make a poll to be sure.
14/32=0.44

lol wrong thread
(edited 8 years ago)
I can afford it

I suppose we have different ideas of what it means to be able to afford things. By buying a new car (particularly with the badge), you're paying for the status rather than any actual engineering. But the status only exists because the car is new, which means that people who actually want to maintain that have to keep turning over their vehicles, like the owners of my company who each get new cars about twice a year. You (presumably) can't afford to actually do that, so in a few years when you still have the car you'll just be another guy with a 2-3 year old Porsche - affordable for most people with their lives on track and a warped set of priorities. I mean I'm pretty sure I could buy a 2012 Porsche now, with cash, and no TSR drama. And I have no status to speak of.

The latter is not true. I just don't intend to track it.

And I suppose we have different ideas of what "use" means too. You plan to drive a supercar around at like 90 mph, until a cop ignores all the other 90mph drivers and gives you the three points just because you look like a douche. Then you'll drive it around at 77. So if it isn't a credible status symbol, and you're driving it as fast as my 2001 Civic, then I don't really understand what you're spending £95k on.
I suppose we have different ideas of what it means to be able to afford things. By buying a new car (particularly with the badge), you're paying for the status rather than any actual engineering. But the status only exists because the car is new, which means that people who actually want to maintain that have to keep turning over their vehicles, like the owners of my company who each get new cars about twice a year. You (presumably) can't afford to actually do that, so in a few years when you still have the car you'll just be another guy with a 2-3 year old Porsche - affordable for most people with their lives on track and a warped set of priorities. I mean I'm pretty sure I could buy a 2012 Porsche now, with cash, and no TSR drama. And I have no status to speak of.

And I suppose we have different ideas of what "use" means too. You plan to drive a supercar around at like 90 mph, until a cop ignores all the other 90mph drivers and gives you the three points just because you look like a douche. Then you'll drive it around at 77. So if it isn't a credible status symbol, and you're driving it as fast as my 2001 Civic, then I don't really understand what you're spending £95k on.

Haters gonna hate

Ballers gonna ball :wink:
Wait... Cruise Control is an OPTION?
Haters gonna hate

Ballers gonna ball :wink:

That's fine. Everything I said is true though.

I suppose the fact that you are spending £95k and the only thing you are really getting out of it is trolling an online forum is a status symbol. Of sorts.
That's fine. Everything I said is true though.

I suppose the fact that you are spending £95k and the only thing you are really getting out of it is trolling an online forum is a status symbol. Of sorts.

No everything you said isn't true. For example the police car thing and the assumption that you need drive very fast to enjoy a car. All of that is wrong. Each person gets enjoyment from different aspects of driving. All of what you said is focusing exclusively on negatives, that's why I called you a hater.

The part about affordability is a little more correct but you're missing a lot of the background story. My parents are rich and they give me a lot of money directly or indirectly. I have a flat worth a lot of money so I do not need to save up for a deposit for a property. I'm never going to be even remotely short of cash. I'm earning over £4k each month after tax at the moment and I have absolutely nothing to do with it. For the last three years I've been spending stupidly just buying random **** and never really saving up, now I've decided I'll save up the £35k and then get the Porsche.

Also a 2012 911 991 from a official Porsche centre is still over 55k easily and over 60k if you want a convertible with nice options. It is still very much a status symbol. Even an 8 year old car is worth like 25k at least lol. Just go on Autotrader. How many 26 year olds are driving around in £60k cars - extremely few. On top of that you have to factor in the impracticality (and therefore coolness) of the car. Those guys buying 25k Audis and BMWs are buying 4 or 5 seater cars. This is a proper sports car. So even when they are both worth 30k (after SEVEN years), my car is still cooler. I've given this some thought.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512019136040

^That car is three years old and look at the price. My car has more options too.

As I said, haters gonna hate but I know what Im doing. Thanks for the advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Wait... Cruise Control is an OPTION?

lol yes Porsche are stingy AF
No everything you said isn't true. For example the police car thing and the assumption that you need drive very fast to enjoy a car. All of that is wrong. Each person gets enjoyment from different aspects of driving. All of what you said is focusing exclusively on negatives, that's why I called you a hater.

The part about affordability is a little more correct but you're missing a lot of the background story. My parents are rich and they give me a lot of money directly or indirectly. I have a flat worth a lot of money so I do not need to save up for a deposit for a property. I'm never going to be even remotely short of cash. I'm earning over £4k each month after tax at the moment and I have absolutely nothing to do with it. For the last three years I've been spending stupidly just buying random **** and never really saving up, now I've decided I'll save up the £35k and then get the Porsche.

I think you're aware that everyone on TSR knows your background story, whether they are interested in it or not. But yeah, you just described why "generational wealth" doesn't usually last more than a couple of generations. Your wealthy family must be very proud.

Also a 2012 911 991 from a official Porsche centre is still over 55k easily and over 60k if you want a convertible with nice options. It is still very much a status symbol. Even an 8 year old car is worth like 25k at least lol. Just go on Autotrader. How many 26 year olds are driving around in £60k cars - extremely few. On top of that you have to factor in the impracticality (and therefore coolness) of the car. Those guys buying 25k Audis and BMWs are buying 4 or 5 seater cars. This is a proper sports car. So even when they are both worth 30k (after SEVEN years), my car is still cooler. I've given this some thought.

As I said, haters gonna hate but I know what Im doing. Thanks for the advice.

I think it's tremendous that as a person who spends most of his free time writing about himself on TSR you have an opinion on what is and isn't cool, I really do.

I don't think I shared any advice with you. If you want to call me a hater that's fine.
I think you're aware that everyone on TSR knows your background story, whether they are interested in it or not. But yeah, you just described why "generational wealth" doesn't usually last more than a couple of generations. Your wealthy family must be very proud.

I think it's tremendous that as a person who spends most of his free time writing about himself on TSR you have an opinion on what is and isn't cool, I really do.

I don't think I shared any advice with you. If you want to call me a hater that's fine.

Lol a first class medical degree from the best university in the country, a well paying job and two properties in London that keep going up in value - current and future earning power - I'm so ****ed!

Your second paragraph is even sadder. I guess when numerical facts get in the way of an argument, just go the ad hom route.

I suppose when someone does better at something you've tried to do you can always deny that you were ever trying at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol a first class medical degree from the best university in the country, a well paying job and two properties in London that keep going up in value - current and future earning power - I'm so ****ed!
Eh, I'm not saying you're ****ed, just people with a lot more than that have gone broke by making dumb financial decisions. You're saying that you've been warming up with small dumb decisions for a few years now, so you're ready to make a much bigger one. That doesn't automatically mean you're going to be destitute, just that it's a more likely scenario than if you didn't do these things.

Your second paragraph is even sadder. I guess when numerical facts get in the way of an argument, just go the ad hom route.

Coolness spectrum = numerical facts??

I suppose when someone does better at something you've tried to do you can always deny that you were ever trying at all.

You got me. I've been trying really hard all this time to have richer parents but nothing I do seems to be working.
i like sports cars but i'm more luxury you know bentley, maybachs and rolls royces
Reply 56
Id be too worried of spinning off and damaging the car! At least while its new!

That's the point of going to an airfield. There is nowhere to spin off. Just empty tarmac.
The car's primary purpose is for me to drive around looking cool on the congested roads of suburban London and some spirited driving on country roads and motorways. PDK works for both. Manual only works for the latter.

I see, fair play, but why not the new Cayman?! That looks amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For 100k, why not go for a Ferrari or Lambo?

My Nissan Micra will kick your Porsche's ass all day long bud!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending