The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

is Hertforshire a good uni to do 3D Animation?

Hi, I've really been struggling on which university's to consider putting on my ucas application(haven't sent it off yet)

What I am really interested in is studying is Computer Animation that not only limited to the games, but also stretches to animation and film-making etc

Im looking for a course that allows me to make good cinematics like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ

I then found the 3D Modelling/Animation course on the uni's site and thought it looked promising, and I've also heard that their course is quite good.

For anyone who's studying here or knows about this uni really well, I'd like to know how good is student satisfaction? and in general how's your experience at the uni been?
But I am abit weary of Hertfordshire, as I've heard some pretty negative things about it and the student satisfaction seems abit low. Any in-site on experiences would be much appreciated thanks
Reply 1
Hey! I recieved an offer for Animation at Hertfordshire in 2014 and from my experience I thought it was so nice there. The 3D Computer Animation, Modelling and Visual Effects looked amazing quality! It is definitely one of the best Universities for if you want to do this.
Have you been to an open day? I went to two of the open days and both times they were really nice, easy to approach if you had questions, and gave a very thorough lecture about what the course involved. At my interview everyone was really friendly too, they put on a movie in the room while people were waiting to be called up, and you could bring your parents or family/support members to wait for you and see the place.

I can't think of anywhere in the UK that had better quality 3D Animation and Visual Effects, except to have a look at Bournemouth University which is meant to be in the top. I can't tell you as much about this one because I didn't go to see it, but I think Herts and BU are meant to be two of the best in the UK for 3D Animation. Bournemouth Uni has a few different Animation courses just as Hertfordshire does, so have a look if you haven't already. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/search/animation?type=course&vocab31=706
I was quite shocked at some showreels/films from other Universities that weren't even close to being that good, you can tell a lot by looking at the films, designs, showreels, etc.

Hertfordshire have a forum where some students post their work and stuff.
You can make an account there and ask about the course or ask for advice on your portfolio if you want to.
http://www.3dhit.co.uk/
You can also see on this that the top poster there is someone called Moid, who is also on this forum, and he is really friendly if you ever need any advice on your portfolio or want to ask about the course. I am sure you could also call up or email the course directly too.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=337502

The only thing I didn't like that much about the University (and it was nothing to do with the course), but it was the actual location of the Uni. Having said that, everyone has different preferences. I have read some people complaining about the town and the nightlife, but personally I am not someone who is interested in partying/nightlife so I doubt those aspects would have bothered me. It depends what you want out of the Uni and what makes you comfortable/happy I guess. So find out if it would be a good place for you and what it's like for people doing your course, but keep in mind everyone has a unique experience.

I chose another Uni more suited to what I personally wanted in the end, but I still think Hertfordshire looked amazing.

Hope this helped, sorry if I wrote a bit much haha, and hopefully someone actually doing the course at Herts might answer soon :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by beabird
Hey! I recieved an offer for Animation at Hertfordshire in 2014 and from my experience I thought it was so nice there. The 3D Computer Animation, Modelling and Visual Effects looked amazing quality! It is definitely one of the best Universities for if you want to do this.
Have you been to an open day? I went to two of the open days and both times they were really nice, easy to approach if you had questions, and gave a very thorough lecture about what the course involved. At my interview everyone was really friendly too, they put on a movie in the room while people were waiting to be called up, and you could bring your parents or family/support members to wait for you and see the place.

I can't think of anywhere in the UK that had better quality 3D Animation and Visual Effects, except to have a look at Bournemouth University which is meant to be in the top. I can't tell you as much about this one because I didn't go to see it, but I think Herts and BU are meant to be two of the best in the UK for 3D Animation. Bournemouth Uni has a few different Animation courses just as Hertfordshire does, so have a look if you haven't already. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/search/animation?type=course&vocab31=706
I was quite shocked at some showreels/films from other Universities that weren't even close to being that good, you can tell a lot by looking at the films, designs, showreels, etc.

Hertfordshire have a forum where some students post their work and stuff.
You can make an account there and ask about the course or ask for advice on your portfolio if you want to.
http://www.3dhit.co.uk/
You can also see on this that the top poster there is someone called Moid, who is also on this forum, and he is really friendly if you ever need any advice on your portfolio or want to ask about the course. I am sure you could also call up or email the course directly too.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=337502

The only thing I didn't like that much about the University (and it was nothing to do with the course), but it was the actual location of the Uni. Having said that, everyone has different preferences. I have read some people complaining about the town and the nightlife, but personally I am not someone who is interested in partying/nightlife so I doubt those aspects would have bothered me. It depends what you want out of the Uni and what makes you comfortable/happy I guess. So find out if it would be a good place for you and what it's like for people doing your course, but keep in mind everyone has a unique experience.

I chose another Uni more suited to what I personally wanted in the end, but I still think Hertfordshire looked amazing.

Hope this helped, sorry if I wrote a bit much haha, and hopefully someone actually doing the course at Herts might answer soon :smile:

Thanks for the reply, Yea at the moment I am currently looking at Both Hertfordshire and Bournemouth uni's But for some reason I'm having troubles finding a recent 2014 work from BU students as most of them are from 2012, And I found the work from Hertfordshire students work from 2014 really good.

But for Bournemouth uni I cant tell the difference between their computer animation arts course and the Computer visualisation and animation
Original post by TheDboyAi
Thanks for the reply, Yea at the moment I am currently looking at Both Hertfordshire and Bournemouth uni's But for some reason I'm having troubles finding a recent 2014 work from BU students as most of them are from 2012, And I found the work from Hertfordshire students work from 2014 really good.

But for Bournemouth uni I cant tell the difference between their computer animation arts course and the Computer visualisation and animation

The CAA is the most arty one, hardly any programming, where as the CVA is a mix between CAA and the programming course.

If this helps at all, I have applied and been accepted to both unis for next year, my top pick is Hertz because it is so arty. If you want to focus more on how things look and the "art" side of making films, games or animations, I would pick Hertfordshire. If programming is more your thing then Bournemouth is the one for you.

Hertz is an amazing uni to study animation, in 2014 it got placed 3rd in the world and 1st in europe in the CG awards, and last year they won 7 awards at Bournemouths VFX festival. I think those credits speak for themselves! Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Amethyst-Wolf
The CAA is the most arty one, hardly any programming, where as the CVA is a mix between CAA and the programming course.

If this helps at all, I have applied and been accepted to both unis for next year, my top pick is Hertz because it is so arty. If you want to focus more on how things look and the "art" side of making films, games or animations, I would pick Hertfordshire. If programming is more your thing then Bournemouth is the one for you.

Hertz is an amazing uni to study animation, in 2014 it got placed 3rd in the world and 1st in europe in the CG awards, and last year they won 7 awards at Bournemouths VFX festival. I think those credits speak for themselves! Good luck :biggrin:

Thanks for the input, yea i noticed the CVA seems a bit more technical than CAA as it says they require a computing or maths related subject. Considering i got a U for computer in AS i dont think ill be choosing CVA. I keep hearing how bournemouth is the No.1 place for animation, but i haven't really been able to find any recent (like 2014/15) work and the ones ive found i haven't really been to impressed to be honest:/

I dont understand why they go through the hassle of admission test, other animation courses at other unis dont do this
Thanks for the input, yea i noticed the CVA seems a bit more technical than CAA as it says they require a computing or maths related subject. Considering i got a U for computer in AS i dont think ill be choosing CVA. I keep hearing how bournemouth is the No.1 place for animation, but i haven't really been able to find any recent (like 2014/15) work and the ones ive found i haven't really been to impressed to be honest:/

I dont understand why they go through the hassle of admission test, other animation courses at other unis dont do this

The tests are based on old industry interview techniques, however hardly any companies use them anymore... If I'm honest I think you would be better off at hertz from what you've said, the course there is really awesome! Here you can check out some of their more recent stuff if you havent already.. http://uhanimation.co.uk/
I went to an open day in bournemouth where they showed some new stuff and I wasn't too impressed tbh...
Also have a look at this clip, it's kinda close to what your looking for I think :smile: https://vimeo.com/128994764

I'm also looking at Bournemouth and Hertfordshire! In my interviewer at Hertfordshire told me that it was more arty, while Bournemouth was more technical. Bournemouth's supposed to have the best contacts in the industry but I was personally more impressed by some of the work from Hertfordshire :/ also Hatfield's supposed to be a bit ****
Original post by jonosdsutton
I'm also looking at Bournemouth and Hertfordshire! In my interviewer at Hertfordshire told me that it was more arty, while Bournemouth was more technical. Bournemouth's supposed to have the best contacts in the industry but I was personally more impressed by some of the work from Hertfordshire :/ also Hatfield's supposed to be a bit ****

Yup, Bournemouths connects are AMAZING, however in my personal opinion I think that the tutors at hertfordshire are MUCH better, they've worked on Tintin, Harry potter, The hobbit I think.. and A LOT more, where as I can't really find anything to BU's name.
It depends what you want, the town is a bit **** but its literally 10mins from st Albans so its not to bad.. if you do want parties at your doorstep and don't mind doing more techy stuff BU is probably for you, but if you dont mind a bit of travel for a party and prefer a more arty course I would say Hertz is the one to go with.
Reply 10
Original post by jonosdsutton

Yea thats what ive heard from others about Hatfield, When you say Herts 3D course is arty? i took a bit of caution here, i hope their course isnt one of those 100% pure narrative course as i really dont want to do a course just purely 100% art based-_-

And the distance to get to Bournemouth....
Yea thats what ive heard from others about Hatfield, When you say Herts 3D course is arty? i took a bit of caution here, i hope their course isnt one of those 100% pure narrative course as i really dont want to do a course just purely 100% art based-_-

And the distance to get to Bournemouth....

I think (dont just take my word for it though because I'm gonna do 2D) that if you mean drawing by artsy it's not like that, they teach you maya and Zbrush and a looooaaad of other stuff, it's not like, "this must have a deep psychological meaning" kind of thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending