The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Is it too late to change module?

I started DE100 in September but I really, really hate it!! I want to change it to something else but of course I came to this decision now when there is no one to call in the office! Is it possible to change at this stage do you think or do I have to keep on with psychology....:frown:
Hi,

You should be able to change your course, I am currently doing law at the OU and are changing to Criminology and Law just call up and let them know however you will have to speak to SFE to see if your funding is affected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello,

You can technically cancel or defer a module pretty much right up until a few weeks before the exam. You should be able to cancel your module (or defer it - putting it off until next year, if you think you'd like it better later) by contacting your Student Support Team. You'll be able to find their number on your StudentHome or you can send them a message through it. If you have anything in mind that starts in February 2016, then the registration deadline is currently the 7th of January, so you'd want to have sorted out getting your module changed by then.

I changed from doing MST125 to M140 (Computing & IT and Mathematics -> Computing & IT and Statistics) and it was fairly straightforward. They can give you a lot of advice about your other options as well, and you can speak to an advisor about different modules, degrees, etc.

As the post above says, if you're getting funding, you might need to inform the organisations (SFE, SAAS, etc.) about your degree change.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you both for putting my mind at rest! I shall ring them first thing!

Merry Christmas to you both!! :smile:
Original post by Schtooks
Thank you both for putting my mind at rest! I shall ring them first thing!

Merry Christmas to you both!! :smile:

Like previously mentioned you can back out right up until your exam/EMA date but as depending on how far you are through the course they might not 'refund' the full course amount. The rules have changed since I've done it I'm afraid so can't be more specific. Which could affect any funding if you have in place.
Reply 5
It turned out ok! I cancelled it and they said I don't have anything to pay and that the money will just go toward the next module I choose. I only started this module in October so hadn't done very much.
Reply 6
Original post by Schtooks
It turned out ok! I cancelled it and they said I don't have anything to pay and that the money will just go toward the next module I choose. I only started this module in October so hadn't done very much.

I'm really glad to hear it worked out so well for you. Good luck with whatever module it is you choose to do instead, and happy new year!
Reply 7
Thank you! Happy New Year to you too!
Thanks for this thread, I have been pretty worried about changing my module too (DD102, it's not for me). This has been very reassuring.

Quick Reply

Latest