The Student Room Group

What field of Psychology is best for me? (what area have you all decided to study?)

I'm currently in year 12 and thinking about what course to do as a masters degree and then pursue for a career.

But I am so conflicted about what field to get into! I'm actually doing Psychology as an a-level and i'm going through all topics such as Social psych, cognitive, developmental, psychodynamic, biological etc. and I am planning to see what has interested me the most which has actually been Social psychology. Yet on deeper research (via Student Room) its actually a heavily subscribed degree and wouldn't offer me much options in the future even though I am planning to become a professor/lecturer in my chosen area.

i am extremely interested in behaviour specifically, so cognitive wouldn't really be my main preference and behaviour within society seems like a fantastic area, but psychodynamic fields also seem incredibly interesting and so psychotherapy would then seem like the best area for me.

I love conducting research and practical activity in psychology as well.

If anyone has any experience in any of these fields or has any other fields that they think would suit my preferences (or that they have studied and enjoyed) please feel free to say.
In all honesty you are worrying about this far ahead of when you need to. BPS accredited psychology degrees share the majority of content due to the requirements and therefore your choice of BSc isn't going to matter much. Even a social psychology degree will be similar to a straight psychology one.

I'm not intimately familiar with the academia route but you'll shape your path more as you move into masters and PhD research and is something that will certainly change over time.

On the whole, worry about getting the best grades you can and look to get as much experience as you can. The rest will fall into place on time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If social psychology is what matters to you then there is nothing wrong with doing a degree in it even if the subject is oversubscribed. If you want to do research/teaching in a subject then it is vital that you are passionate about it.

Other options could include doing a combined sociology and psychology degree.

Bps accreditation is valuable for some fields but less so for others. I am wanting to teach psychology A level and possibly do a phd that includes an element of psychology so the postgraduate course I hope to do in sept16 (fee/money depending) is not bps accredited and I'm ok with that. All depends on what your end goal is :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest