The Student Room Group

My Brother is 25, never had a job, never had girlfriend , still lives with Mum , virg

Hi

I'm rather concerned about my brother, he is 25 years old and

A. Is still a virgin
B. Still lives at home with our Mum and has never had his own place
C. Always seems to be with our Mum wherever he goes, he never goes out with friends and I don't think he really has any he seems to go almost everywhere with our Mum

D. Never had a job apart from 2 year work experience whilst in high school.
E. Basically says he never wants a girlfriend and wants to be single forever

He has a slight learning disability, Dyspraxia and also suffers from anxiety but he hasn't gone to doctorstob have that diagnosed
He has his own car and goes out some places on his own, he usually goes the gym 5 days per week on his own hough he admits he always feels anxious

F. Went to college for 2 years and admitted the course was useless as they didn't learn much on it, basically it was a course that was made to try getting people back into work

Do you have any advice ?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Some people just don't want the conventional life that society expects, and so long as he is not hurting anyone and he is happy then it shouldn't matter at all to you or anyone else that he's still a virgin living at home, or that he spends time with his mum.

If he is unhappy however, the absolutely first thing he needs to do is get mental health help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
Some people just don't want the conventional life that society expects, and so long as he is not hurting anyone and he is happy then it shouldn't matter at all to you or anyone else that he's still a virgin living at home, or that he spends time with his mum.

If he is unhappy however, the absolutely first thing he needs to do is get mental health help.

Thank you

Very useful and interesting input
Original post by I love life
Hi

A. Is still a virgin
C. Always seems to be with our Mum wherever he goes, he never goes out with friends and I don't think he really has any he seems to go almost everywhere with our Mum

He has a slight learning disability, Dyspraxia and also suffers from anxiety but he hasn't gone to doctorstob have that diagnosed
He has his own car and goes out some places on his own, he usually goes the gym 5 days per week on his own hough he admits he always feels anxious

F. Went to college for 2 years and admitted the course was useless as they didn't learn much on it, basically it was a course that was made to try getting people back into work

Do you have any advice ?

You're talking about yourself aren't you, OP?
Reply 4
Original post by plasmaman
You're talking about yourself aren't you, OP?

Did you read my original text, ? It appears not

Anyway, no I am asking for advice regarding my brother

Please input some helpful advice if you have any

Besides I'm 24, not 25
Reply 5
He needs to deal with his anxiety. He can only do this if he really puts himself out there, maybe gently (very gently) raise his anxiety with him and how it makes him feel, he is probably dying to tell someone but is too afraid to, then talk about what sort of jobs he wants and how he can get there prehaps going back to school whilst working part time? He also HAS to make friends or he will make himself more ill.

He needs to do all this at the same time as dealing with his anxiety, many people with anxiety make the mistake i did of saying"first ill get rid of my anxiety then do evertthing else", doesn't work like that. Need to do both at same time.

As for his dyspraxia maybe a gp can help? If his dyspraxia is making him anxious then that is way he cab book anappointment then bring it up with the gp "oh by the I have developed anxiety partly because of this".

Him being a virgin. Not a big deal. He will lose it willy nilly. Needs to get out there!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Or he can speak to his mum about his anxiety, she might be like my mum and be like "its all in your head", but he has to try to make her understand, getting advice from someone you know can make things much better and see things much clearer because anxiety makes us paranoid and makes things seem much worse thab they are.
Reply 7

Hi, your studying biomedical science right, what year are you in and how is it going? I'm studying biochem which is basicially the same course at my uni.
Hi

A. Is still a virgin

Do you have any advice ?

From your description it seems your brother isn't up to anything. Can't your parents try and get him married to someone? Is your brother on JSA? I'm pretty sure Job Centre can get him into training of some sort?
Original post by Nununu
Hi, your studying biomedical science right, what year are you in and how is it going? I'm studying biochem which is basicially the same course at my uni.

Hey, yeah I do. :smile:

I'm in my 2nd year of biomed now, and yeah we share a lot of classes with biochem. 2nd year is definitely a step up from 1st, and you have to be very concious of your grades this year and keep on top form for all your assessments if possible.
Reply 10
Hi

A. Is still a virgin

Do you have any advice ?

A. Not a big deal. Sex is not a major driver in many people's lives.

B. Not a big deal. He may just like living at home.

C. Some people find it very hard to make friends. He may just be very emotionally close to your mum.

D. He ought to try and find a job.

E. That's called aromanticism. The lack of desire for a romantic relationship. Not a big deal if he feels that way.

Dyspraxia is a specific learning difficulty, not a learning disability. The two are very different things. Please use the correct terminology.

That's good. He has his own life and is not entirely dependant on your mum.

F. That's a pity. College courses should always be useful and educational.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Katty3
A. Not a big deal. Sex is not a major driver in many people's lives.

B. Not a big deal. He may just like living at home.

C. Some people find it very hard to make friends. He may just be very emotionally close to your mum.

D. He ought to try and find a job.

E. That's called aromanticism. The lack of desire for a romantic relationship. Not a big deal if he feels that way.

Dyspraxia is a specific learning difficulty, not a learning disability. The two are very different things. Please use the correct terminology.

That's good. He has his own life and is not entirely dependant on your mum.

F. That's a pity. College courses should always be useful and educational.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it doesn't sound like he has his own life, that is a big deal.
Reply 12
Hey, yeah I do. :smile:

I'm in my 2nd year of biomed now, and yeah we share a lot of classes with biochem. 2nd year is definitely a step up from 1st, and you have to be very concious of your grades this year and keep on top form for all your assessments if possible.
do u worry about getting a job in science in the future? These type of jobs are few and far between!

this.
Wow first thing you said is that he is 25 and a virgin as if there is something bad about that
Reply 15
Original post by Nununu
But it doesn't sound like he has his own life, that is a big deal.

But he does. If he enjoys his life and it harms no one, what does it matter? It's not conventional, but so what? Why be tied down by conventionality?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of young people still living at home, I think it's pretty socially acceptable these days what with the current climate. Either you move in and share with someone or you stay at home, unless you don't mind paying full whack on rent for one person. I live at home and will do until I find a girl that I think "Yeah, she's lacking the annoying qualities that'd put me off of moving in with someone, let's go for it!" :lol:
Original post by Nununu
do u worry about getting a job in science in the future? These type of jobs are few and far between!

Honestly not sure, since working in a lab for uni I'm not sure lab work is for me any more. I'm still deciding what to do post uni now. At the moment tossing up between doing an academic research masters possibly (hopefully will give me some fire into what I used to lose) or doing a PgDip in radiography as I do also want to work in healthcare and treatment. Only problem is I don't have any experience for the PgDip and I simply can't afford to do unpaid work :/
Hi

A. Is still a virgin

Do you have any advice ?

Is your brother @Awesome Genius?
Original post by JackedMath4
Is your brother @Awesome Genius?

No, why ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending