The Student Room Group

Choosing university + course based on predicted grades?

Hey guys, so I've just sent off my UCAS application.
I'm applying for Geography (BSc).
For my A Levels I'm doing maths, physics and geography, for which I am predicted CCA, respectively.
I've always wanted to do an engineering course at a good university (within top 20 on league table), however looking at my appalling AS results, and my not-so-good predicted grades, I doubt that I would be able to do an engineering course at a good uni, which is why I applied for my second course path ~ Geography.

That being said, would it be possible that if I did really well on my AS retakes and my A2 exams, and get for example, AAB/ABB; would it be possible to entirely change courses, and do an engineering course instead of geography at a different university?

I've been told that it's possible, but I need some more information.
Much appreciated - thanks! :smile:
Original post by Ahleazy
Hey guys, so I've just sent off my UCAS application.
I'm applying for Geography (BSc).
For my A Levels I'm doing maths, physics and geography, for which I am predicted CCA, respectively.
I've always wanted to do an engineering course at a good university (within top 20 on league table), however looking at my appalling AS results, and my not-so-good predicted grades, I doubt that I would be able to do an engineering course at a good uni, which is why I applied for my second course path ~ Geography.

That being said, would it be possible that if I did really well on my AS retakes and my A2 exams, and get for example, AAB/ABB; would it be possible to entirely change courses, and do an engineering course instead of geography at a different university?

I've been told that it's possible, but I need some more information.
Much appreciated - thanks! :smile:

On results day, if you decide that you have the grades and would prefer to do engineering, you have two options:

- scramble to find a place through clearing for Engineering starting in September 2016 (you would need to be able to supply a replacement personal statement to explain the reasons why you want to study engineering - the universities would only be able to see your Geography personal statement through UCAS) - see advice here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4574-clearing-adjustment regarding clearing ; or

- make a fresh application in autumn 2016 for Engineering courses starting in September 2017 - this would give you a better choice of courses and accommodation, plus a gap year to get work experience/save for maintenance costs (the loan usually only just covers accommodation)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest