The Student Room Group

Would sending my UCAS appliction in January 4th be too late?

For Primary Education with QTS course.

Would it affect my chance of being given an interview?

Or would this course only start filtering out applicants to give space to after checking the main requirements (e.g. Points, Personal Statement) and interview stage?
Original post by sunshine97

Or would this course only start filtering out applicants to give space to after checking the main requirements (e.g. Points, Personal Statement) and interview stage?

You should be given equal consideration provided the application, with the reference and predicted grades, is submitted to UCAS by 6pm on 15th January.

Sending the application to school/college on 4th January for the reference and predictions to be added might mean that they struggle to do this before Jan 15th.

The main reason to make an early application to a course that requires an interview is so that you can get these out of the way before Christmas, instead of having to attend interviews in the Spring term.

The main reasons for not getting an interview/offer are a lack of work experience, poor personal statement, or not meeting the entry requirements (including GCSE grades in Maths and English)
Reply 2
Original post by Holmstock
You should be given equal consideration provided the application, with the reference and predicted grades, is submitted to UCAS by 6pm on 15th January.

Sending the application to school/college on 4th January for the reference and predictions to be added might mean that they struggle to do this before Jan 15th.

The main reason to make an early application to a course that requires an interview is so that you can get these out of the way before Christmas, instead of having to attend interviews in the Spring term.

The main reasons for not getting an interview/offer are a lack of work experience, poor personal statement, or not meeting the entry requirements (including GCSE grades in Maths and English)

I've finished the rest of my application, and my referee has already written my reference, all she needs to do is send it off to UCAS.

I've already met the entry requirements (GCSEs and UCAS points). The personal statement I have used from last year was still accepted, but I just have more work experience.

So overall am I still safe? :colondollar:
I've finished the rest of my application, and my referee has already written my reference, all she needs to do is send it off to UCAS.

I've already met the entry requirements (GCSEs and UCAS points). The personal statement I have used from last year was still accepted, but I just have more work experience.

So overall am I still safe? :colondollar:

All sounds good - provided your application is received by 6pm on 15th January, you will have done all you can.

Returnmigrant explains it well in this post:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3783359&page=2&highlight=&p=61385091#post61385091

"We are talking OFFERS not places. Unis gradually read applications and assess on that basis, ranking applicants as they go and making offers gradually as more applications come in. They do not make their final offers until well after 15 January and therefore a good application will still get an offer.

No course will be 'full' this stage or have 'run out of offers'. If its a sensible application that meets all requirements you have exactly the same chance of an offer as anyone who applied in October"

Good luck with the application!

It's not "too late".
Depends on the institution as to whether it is favourable.
Some, like e.g. St Andrews, only starts making offers after the deadline to give all applicants equal consideration.
Others, it can be favourable, as there might not be enough applicant spaces later / less anyway, and it gives a better impression for you to get it done early, I would presume.
Reply 5
Original post by XcitingStuart
It's not "too late".
Depends on the institution as to whether it is favourable.
Some, like e.g. St Andrews, only starts making offers after the deadline to give all applicants equal consideration.
Others, it can be favourable, as there might not be enough applicant spaces later / less anyway, and it gives a better impression for you to get it done early, I would presume.

Well the institutions for the course course that I'm applying to have given people offers from November-February last year.

Last year I have given my application at the end of Winter term, but during the winter holidays I haven't received any offers. Whereas my friends who have applied in October received their offers during the term.

However after Spring term started, I started receiving the offers. This time I'm planning to send it on the day spring term begins.

Does it still look like it could affect my chances of receiving an interview?
Well the institutions for the course course that I'm applying to have given people offers from November-February last year.

Last year I have given my application at the end of Winter term, but during the winter holidays I haven't received any offers. Whereas my friends who have applied in October received their offers during the term.

However after Spring term started, I started receiving the offers. This time I'm planning to send it on the day spring term begins.

Does it still look like it could affect my chances of receiving an interview?

I honestly don't know. It may, it may not.
Which universities are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by XcitingStuart
I honestly don't know. It may, it may not.
Which universities are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying to Kingston, St. Mary's, Middlesex & Hertfordshire.

Quick Reply

Latest