The Student Room Group

The Official Cambridge 2016 Winter Pool Thread

Apologies if this thread already exists but I couldn't find one anywhere.

I know it's a bit early but I thought there should be a thread for everyone who is pooled in January.

After my horrendous test and interviews I had been expecting to get a flat out rejection in January. But apparently applicants (except for medicine and maths) whose average UMS across their 3 best AS subjects is greater than 93% are automatically pooled. And if that's the case then I will be in need of this thread! Otherwise... I hope it helps some other people out there :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I think they switched the system around recently though, because pool applicants don't have to wait anymore - they're given an offer (if so) by the new college on the same date the other letters come!
Reply 2
Echoing the above, the only way you'll know you've been pooled is

(i) you get an offer from a different college on decisions day with everybody else.

(ii) you get invited to a pool interview/test a few days before, which is a fairly rare occurrence.
Reply 3
Original post by Jayd Shah
I think they switched the system around recently though, because pool applicants don't have to wait anymore - they're given an offer (if so) by the new college on the same date the other letters come!

Original post by Zacken

(i) you get an offer from a different college on decisions day with everybody else.

(ii) you get invited to a pool interview/test a few days before, which is a fairly rare occurrence.

Thanks for the info. That's actually quite a relief: I'd much rather get my rejection over with on decisions day instead of having to wait even longer for what I know is eventually coming.
Original post by Zacken

Hmm, this is confusing. So essentially they no longer notify you to say you've been pooled? Not even in the rejection letter ie. "your application has been assessed by other colleges and they couldn't offer you a place either"?

I find this a bit dubious. In past years, one TSR applicant was missed out by the autopool and was rejected - so he phoned, they corrected the error and he received an offer a few days later. If they don't say either way, surely this new process is less foolproof?
Reply 5
Original post by creamteapunk
Hmm, this is confusing. So essentially they no longer notify you to say you've been pooled? Not even in the rejection letter ie. "your application has been assessed by other colleges and they couldn't offer you a place either"?

I find this a bit dubious. In past years, one TSR applicant was missed out by the autopool and was rejected - so he phoned, they corrected the error and he received an offer a few days later. If they don't say either way, surely this new process is less foolproof?

@jneill might be able to answer better than I can. :smile:
Original post by creamteapunk

Applicants who are unsuccessful in the Pool will receive a letter from their initial college telling them that they were pooled but that no college could offer them a place.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
@jneill might be able to answer better than I can. :smile:

And the CAT better than me :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Jayd Shah

It's not that pooled applicants don't have to wait, it's that everyone else now waits until the pool has (largely) finished. i.e. the general decision date is now a few days later than previously.

NB. Any pool candidates who are being re-interviewed will still hear a bit later than everyone else.
Reply 9
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Applicants who are unsuccessful in the Pool will receive a letter from their initial college telling them that they see pooled but that no college could offer them a place.

Original post by jneill
And the CAT better than me :smile:

Thank you both! :smile:
Does anyone know around what date we find out about the offers/rejections?
Reply 11
Original post by english23
Does anyone know around what date we find out about the offers/rejections?

Doesn't your college tell you?
12th Jan

Posted from TSR Mobile
No they didn't - thanks very much! :smile:
Hi guys I'm currently doing Maths, Further Maths AS, Economics, Geography and French AS, I got 10A*s at GCSE (not sure how relevant that is for Cambridge?)

If I get straight A's this year (year 12) with high UMS would I be likely to receive an interview for Cambridge economics?

Many thanks if you give me your opinion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Hi guys I'm currently doing Maths, Further Maths AS, Economics, Geography and French AS, I got 10A*s at GCSE (not sure how relevant that is for Cambridge?)

If I get straight A's this year (year 12) with high UMS would I be likely to receive an interview for Cambridge economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which subject?
If you get straight As with high UMS (90+) like you think you can, you're more or less guaranteed an interview.

Edit: just saw on another thread it's for Econ.
Original post by C0pper
Which subject?
If you get straight As with high UMS (90+) like you think you can, you're more or less guaranteed an interview.

Edit: just saw on another thread it's for Econ.

I've lost track of how many times he's posted the same question over and over in many threads and forums over many months. :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Don Joiner

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it is extremely likely if you get at least 90% UMS average in your 3 most relevant AS levels. My friend's UMS average is 90.2% with 5 A*s at GCSE and she got an interview for economics at Cambridge.
Original post by vincrows
I've lost track of how many times he's posted the same question over and over in many threads and forums over many months. :wink:

Ah, nothing like a good bit of repetition haha :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by Platopus
Yes, it is extremely likely if you get at least 90% UMS average in your 3 most relevant AS levels. My friend's UMS average is 90.2% with 5 A*s at GCSE and she got an interview for economics at Cambridge.

And yet you're worrying about your UMS? :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by Zacken
And yet you're worrying about your UMS? :wink:

Only because I did **** at interview so the only thing that could have saved me would have been an amazing UMS I think :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending