The Student Room Group

Lancaster Vs. Edinburgh - Please help.

Hello everyone!

Okay, so I recently received all of my offers (All unconditional yay!) and narrowed my choices down to 2. However, I'm having a really hard time deciding between Lancaster and Edinburgh.

The courses are:
MA Psychology and Business - Edinburgh
BA Organisation studies and Psychology - Lancaster

I should mention that:
1. I feel like the atmosphere and general treatment of students is better at Lancaster (tell me if I'm wrong)
2. I'm worried about the teaching standards at Edinburgh (Because of the low satisfaction scores)
3. I classify for the EU Fees at Edinburgh - 1,820 (but at Lancaster I'll be paying the standard 9,000 fees)
4. I prefer the city at Edinburgh but I also love the fact that Lancaster has the college system
5. The most important factors to me are: the teaching quality, clubs and societies, how friendly/open people generally are at the uni, as well as the facilities. I rarely engage in the going out and drinking culture, don't mind the accommodation and don't care about the size of the uni or the number of international students etc.
6. I feel like Edinburgh has the better international reputation (though is it really that important?) but Lancaster is higher in the UK league tables and has the better business school (so I've heard).
7. However, though i will be studying business - What I really want is to become a psychologists in the future. Therefore, another important factor for me is which course would be better suited to achieve that aim?

What do you guys think? Any tips would be useful! Is there anyone who had studied one of these courses and can tell me more about them? What is/was your experience of studying at one of these universities? Anything else to consider that I may not have taken into consideration already? Which would you choose knowing all of this?

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
No-one can actually decide this for you. You are the one who will be doing the course every day for 3 or 4 years, and therefore its about your interests and needs, not someone else's. Lots of advice on making Firm and Insurance choices here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices

In terms of professional accreditation, check that the courses are on the BPS list - without this, you cannot use your degree in a professional capacity : http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac The Edinburgh course seems to depend on you taking specific modules so choose carefully.

The money/fees issue is however worth thinking seriously about - as is the fact that the E'burgh course will be a year longer. But again, only you can weigh up the importance of these factor within your decision making.

Just remember that you have MONTHS to make this decision - the offers will not disappear or change, and so there really is no need to rush into a decision either way. Sit on it for a while - make the decision only when you actually have to.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending