The Student Room Group

Living away for university ...

I haven't decided if i want to go to university, but if I do, then i would probably live away from home. But how is it like living with people who you don't know. Is it awkward sharing a bath/toilet/kitchen with strangers? Did it take you a long time to get used to your flat mates.

If you can tell me your experience with living away tell me😏
Reply 1
Most of my friends who have gone to uni tell me that their flatmates are awesome, that they are like a second family... I did have a friend who told me she did not get along with them however and she was having trouble settling into uni. It's potluck basically but you're more likely to get awesome flatmates.
Original post by loveleest
I haven't decided if i want to go to university, but if I do, then i would probably live away from home. But how is it like living with people who you don't know. Is it awkward sharing a bath/toilet/kitchen with strangers? Did it take you a long time to get used to your flat mates.

If you can tell me your experience with living away tell me😏

As the person above said it's a pot luck. Most people settle into their flat pretty quickly. If problems occur it likely occur later on down the line as opposed to at the start, so I wouldn't worry about that at all yet.

Sharing facilities isn't weird, though if you end up with someone with the personal hygiene of a dung beetle it can be really infuriating.

I had a lot of fun living away in my first year while in accommodation, though in the end I wasn't getting along with my flatmates very well. 2nd year was great, though we had one trouble flat mate. In 3rd year now, all good.

Quick Reply

Latest