The Student Room Group

Need help learning anatomy! GAH

I have my exams for first year right after the Christmas holidays and I'm having a hell of a time learning anatomy :frown: my biggest exam is my musculoskeletal so most of it is anatomy. Was wondering if any current/former vet students (or any other health care students that might see this) have any Advice for learning anatomy?
I know the main thing is repetition repetition repitition but I don't want to spend all of my time just doing anatomy and not have time to revise histology/immunology/LCB etc.
Original post by Louiseee_
I have my exams for first year right after the Christmas holidays and I'm having a hell of a time learning anatomy :frown: my biggest exam is my musculoskeletal so most of it is anatomy. Was wondering if any current/former vet students (or any other health care students that might see this) have any Advice for learning anatomy?
I know the main thing is repetition repetition repitition but I don't want to spend all of my time just doing anatomy and not have time to revise histology/immunology/LCB etc.

If your uni has interactive resources so actual anatomy pictures use those, otherwise for anatomy you need to make the most out of your practicals, and any revision sessions you may have. Anatomy books help, Saunders anatomy flash cards and the colouring books help. I drew mine out over and over again in first year, but it depends how you learn. Get a friend to help you by testing you using flash cards? Don't spend hours going over it though, because the majority of exams only ask you a few questions on it. Know origins/insertions/actions and innervations of muscles for forelimb/hindlimb, and that's done by repeating them over and over again, I used to repeat them to my friend and she did the same back to me during first year and it went in eventually!

Good luck with your first vet school exams, don't panic!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Reply 3
Original post by Lizziefickling
If your uni has interactive resources so actual anatomy pictures use those, otherwise for anatomy you need to make the most out of your practicals, and any revision sessions you may have. Anatomy books help, Saunders anatomy flash cards and the colouring books help. I drew mine out over and over again in first year, but it depends how you learn. Get a friend to help you by testing you using flash cards? Don't spend hours going over it though, because the majority of exams only ask you a few questions on it. Know origins/insertions/actions and innervations of muscles for forelimb/hindlimb, and that's done by repeating them over and over again, I used to repeat them to my friend and she did the same back to me during first year and it went in eventually!

Good luck with your first vet school exams, don't panic!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
You have CLIVE on your laptop, it's pretty awesome.

MSK isn't so much to worry about. Be more worried about LCB
Reply 5
Hi I used virtual canine anatomy, also I made a table of origins and insertions etc printed out a picture of a limb stuck it in a plastic envelope and drew them on with a board marker rubbed them off then tested myself again..... Did this every time I left my uni room for 3 or so muscles. Also many of them have patterns eg the most of the distal extensors come from the lateral condyle/epicondyle and all distal forelimb extensors are innervated by the radial nerve so you only have to learn where they insert which you can work out as common digital extensor implies it's common so you can work out its the distal phalanx 2-5 (common so it must do all) . Hope this helps. Just try and spot patterns .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending