The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

JUst a figure of speech. Dont offend me. But if someone says it too much it really annoys me.
my mum tells me off when she can be bothered, as does my nana, but i think, there are a lot worse things to say and its a typical teenage girl expression of "like omg no way" practically harmless unless you say it in a church where you are liable to be tutted at.
I'm religious to a certain extent but I admit I say it too. I don't really even think about it.
It is technically sinning though to take the Lord's name in vain, but I just can't help it, it slips out.
It doesn't offend me at all when other people do it.

Mind you, I'm not the most religious person out there - I'm religious to a certain extent but I'm not devout. I don't go to church every week and I had pre-marital sex and the like, so I can't speak for very religious people.
Well, I'm a Christian, but it doesn't offend me personally. It's not something i look at and think "that's goin to make my life a tiny bit worse.." lol. I mean i don't say it out of personal preference, because it's blasphemy. But other people saying it has nothing to do with me what-so-ever.
~*JESS*~
Hiya - I was wondering, does it offend anyone if people say 'Oh my God' around them? Like if they're religious? Because my dad told me today that I say it quite a lot, and I hadn't even realised how much. I'm not religious so I don't know how other people react to it, but could I be offending my friends say, if I keep saying it around them?

Offends some people, doesn't offend others. I normally err on the side of caution before I get to know a person properly with phrases like this anyway. I probably swear less too...
Reply 6
I guess it annoys me that its become an expression simply because alot of society don't believe that there is a God..so for them it means nothing to just use it as a word. God is a person I have a relationship with, so its kind of dismissive of him. So I don't like it. I think 'offend' is too strong a word. God is offended. I might be offended if people started using 'Oh my Richenda' as an offhand expression; often to something bad..:confused: So its down to perspective really :biggrin:
Your Dad has a point; but it depends on context and who you are with!
Friends is to blame. It can get really really annoying.
Reply 8
No. It just annoys me.
Out of interest does anybody actually say Gordon Bennett instead? I sometimes say this - and then I find myself wondering who Gordon Bennett actually was lol.

Remind me to google him sometime when I can be arsed!
XenaGlamRocker
Out of interest does anybody actually say Gordon Bennett instead? I sometimes say this - and then I find myself wondering who Gordon Bennett actually was lol.

Remind me to google him sometime when I can be arsed!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Bennett_%28expression%29

:biggrin:
It annoys me, it's a filler like 'like', 'soooo', 'um' or 'eeer'. I consciously try to cut out those things when I talk, so I seem quite bland and to the point. :s-smilie:
TomX
So if you're around any proper Christians I wouldn't recommend you say it (since you don't want to be stoned to death, I mean, this is in the Bible), but around claimers, it should be fine.

That passage was out of the Old Testament out of the Old Law which does not dictate what Christians live by.. so I wouldn't quote that on an internet forum incase you give people totally the wrong idea about the Christian belief!
I've been saying oh my god since i was like 5.

I remember saying it in like year 2 or something.. and then my dad telling me off lol..

I guess older christians would find it offensive....

But eh.. i doubt anyone our age would. Even if they were really religious

thanks.

James Gordon Bennett eh? Wonder why the expression isn't "James Bennett" then :s-smilie:
Craghyrax
That passage was out of the Old Testament out of the Old Law which does not dictate what Christians live by.. so I wouldn't quote that on an internet forum incase you give people totally the wrong idea about the Christian belief!

true - Jesus actually stopped people from stoning a woman - he was very much a peaceful sort of chap :wink:
kiss-the-rain
But eh.. i doubt anyone our age would. Even if they were really religious

I dunno..if you look at contemporary Britain..people overreact at far less minor things than that!!! :banghead:
Reply 17
Oh no...i just had a picture of janice from friends shouting "OHHHH MYYYYYYY GOD!"..... :laugh:

how come something so funny as chandlers face when he hears that be offensive?
Only when said by female Americans in that annoying tone.
You shouldn't say the Lord's name in vain...

lol - I don't get offended, my mum gets a bit iffy though (she's a hard core catholic!)

-x-

Latest

Trending

Trending