The Student Room Group

Risk Management at an IB

Hi guys,
I've been doing research on risk management positions and just have a few questions. Now, I know that FO roles are mainly filled by the 6 target universities. Is this the same for MO/BO roles such as risk? In terms of pay, how does a risk role compare to FO? Would a first class degree from an average uni and a masters at one of the 6 target universities put me in a good position for risk graduate schemes?

Thanks!
Original post by BH83
Hi guys,
I've been doing research on risk management positions and just have a few questions. Now, I know that FO roles are mainly filled by the 6 target universities. Is this the same for MO/BO roles such as risk? In terms of pay, how does a risk role compare to FO? Would a first class degree from an average uni and a masters at one of the 6 target universities put me in a good position for risk graduate schemes?

Thanks!

Risk is less competitive than FO on the whole, and the focus there isn't as tunneled into the 6 targets/the semi targets.

Pay is quite a bit less, bonuses are fractions of what you see in FO. But in comparison to other more general grad schemes, risk pays more.

Yeah, I'd say it's worth a shot, even without the Masters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Risk is less competitive than FO on the whole, and the focus their isn't as tunneled into the 6 targets/the semi targets.

Pay is quite a bit less, bonuses are fractions of what you see in FO. But in comparison to other more general grad schemes, risk pays more.

Yeah, I'd say it's worth a shot, even without the Masters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm currently in the process of applying for risk-focused internships too, so hopefully I can land one and make my application stronger.
What would risk management positions typically pay in London banks? I only seem to find data for NYC.
Original post by hoping4Astars
What would risk management positions typically pay in London banks? I only seem to find data for NYC.

35k~
Original post by gr8wizard10
35k~

Is that for a first year analyst or third year analyst/ 1st year associate? Does it include the bonus? Sorry I know I'm kinda asking a lot of questions here :smile:
Original post by gr8wizard10
35k~

Is that for a first year analyst or third year analyst/ 1st year associate? Does it include the bonus? Sorry I know I'm kinda asking a lot of questions here :smile:

It's not that low.. Back office tech get paid more than that in most instances.

Quick glance at glassdoor shows grad risk analysts are on £43-50k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1st year, no, unsure as to bonus figures in RM, although I imagine quite small relative to FO

Posted from TSR Mobile

I stand corrected, as above ^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that is pretty good pay considering it's not FO. Does anyone know what the work hours are like? Is it like m&a or more like s&t?
Wow that is pretty good pay considering it's not FO. Does anyone know what the work hours are like? Is it like m&a or more like s&t?

Should be similar to markets, maybe slightly lower. I'd peg it at 50-60 hours a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should be similar to markets, maybe slightly lower. I'd peg it at 50-60 hours a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's pretty good. How do you know so much lol
That's pretty good. How do you know so much lol

Been networking, researching and planning since I was 15.
Been networking, researching and planning since I was 15.

Since you were 15? How did you network at that age? I'm looking to do a few of the sixth form insight days at banks and the big four. (Haven't decided between IB and audit yet)
Since you were 15? How did you network at that age? I'm looking to do a few of the sixth form insight days at banks and the big four. (Haven't decided between IB and audit yet)

Got on linkedin, got into a startup accelerator programmes at MIT (i.e. spoke to the mentors there, some where PE Partners, MBB Partners, VCs etc), cold called random bankers, PMed on TSR, PMed on WallStreetOasis, did some insight days, spoke to current uni friends doing internships etc.

Definitely do the insight days.
Reply 14
Original post by BH83
Hi guys,

Thanks!

Morgan Stanley paid me 36.4k as an intern in credit risk a few years ago, prob like 45k now. There were 6 of us across risk. Credit was LSE, Oxford, Boconni, and a guy from an Irish one, but he had been working there in operations risk for a year and then interned in credit. Market risk both were from imperial masters of financial engineering. Hours were easy like 9-8 at the most, the market guys worked more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending