The Student Room Group

Throwing away chance at top uni...

I am currently at a University in central London, I am loving the course, the people I have met are lovely, but I don't feel like I am having the 'university experience'.
I'd much rather be on a campus, living in halls (i'm commuting), be able to join sports and societies without worrying about missing the last train.

I don't know what to do. I would want to move to a campus university like Sussex, Exeter or UEA, but I really am stuck on what to do.

I have been feeling this way since the beginning of the semester. Has anyone else been in the same situation?

Scroll to see replies

I know many people who refused to study in the London universities despite the prestige either because they didn't like the feel of the city or because it is too expensive. So, it is understandable. There are great campus universities which are prestigious as well eg. Durham, Exeter, Oxford, York.
Life is too short to choose to be unhappy. I also wanted a campus experience and, coincidentally, applied to all three of those at one time or another. You should make the decision that you think is right for you.
Original post by 0123456543210
I know many people who refused to study in the London universities despite the prestige either because they didn't like the feel of the city or because it is too expensive. So, it is understandable. There are great campus universities which are prestigious as well eg. Durham, Exeter, Oxford, York.

Oxford isn't a campus university.
Transfer second year. You'll be able to continue with your degree at a different university without having to start over. You'll also be able to move into halls with first years and have the 'freshers experience', if you want.
Have felt that way all through university, although I'm halfway through third year so I'm in to deep.

Think carefully.
Original post by ByronicHero

Oh, got confused between collegiate and campus uni. But the point is: there are many top campus universities and OP will not need to throw away a chance at top uni.
Reply 7
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Have felt that way all through university, although I'm halfway through third year so I'm in to deep.

Think carefully.

Do you wish you changed uni?
Reply 8
Original post by jambojim97
Transfer second year. You'll be able to continue with your degree at a different university without having to start over. You'll also be able to move into halls with first years and have the 'freshers experience', if you want.

I think that would be quite difficult tbh, friendship groups and that would have already been made, and it's not the 'freshers experience' that I want
Reply 9

I love the city, but attending university there is just not for me! I love the look of sussex, exeter cornwall campus too!
Original post by lizmoo0721
I think that would be quite difficult tbh, friendship groups and that would have already been made, and it's not the 'freshers experience' that I want

If you moved into a hall with first years, you would be able to make friends with flatmates and others in your block. Friendship groups are not necessarily set in stone. Just get talking to coursemates in lectures and you'll soon find your feet.
Reply 11
I am currently at a University in central London, I am loving the course, the people I have met are lovely, but I don't feel like I am having the 'university experience'.
I'd much rather be on a campus, living in halls (i'm commuting), be able to join sports and societies without worrying about missing the last train.

I don't know what to do. I would want to move to a campus university like Sussex, Exeter or UEA, but I really am stuck on what to do.

I have been feeling this way since the beginning of the semester. Has anyone else been in the same situation?

I love that no one's asked which uni you're at?

Can give you advice without knowing all the facts first.
Oh, got confused between collegiate and campus uni. But the point is: there are many top campus universities and OP will not need to throw away a chance at top uni.

Absolutely. Warwick is another good example.
Do you wish you changed uni?

Maybe. I've never been anywhere else so can't really judge. Where do you study?
Reply 14
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Maybe. I've never been anywhere else so can't really judge. Where do you study?

But did your uni have enough left falanges tho.

So basically you don't like the feel of a city university I'd say move there are some very good campus universitys like Reading ,Southampton or Durham among others you need to be happy where you are but yes commuting students do and always will miss out a bit
(edited 8 years ago)

Durham isn't either
Original post by rhiannon277
Durham isn't either

Yea but nobody cares about Durham :nope:
Yea but nobody cares about Durham :nope:

Too true

Have you made inquiries about transferring?

Quick Reply

Latest