The Student Room Group

Throwing away chance at top uni...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
I never said KCL was prestigious but it is certainly more highly regarded than Exeter but only you don't seem to believe that. Each to their own.

No, Ra, Osiris and Captain America's dad also don't believe that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by callum_law
No, Ra, Osiris and Captain America's dad also believe that.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/10/20/education/20iht-SReducEmploy20-graphic.html?ref=education

Another ranking where KCL is higher regarded than Exeter which shock horror doesn't even feature in the table.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/carousels/global-employability-university-ranking-2015-results

Birmingham is more sought after by employers than Bristol, Warwick, Bath, CUHK and the Citadel (the place where the maesters are trained in Westeros). OK, NYT, good point well put.

It's almost as if you accept these reports blindly without asking yourself what they actually mean. I am incredibly bored by this. It was only my own wit which kept me here, to be quite honest. Alas, I shall be going now, my sweet summer child.
They are two universities in two different countries. To compare the rate of graduates going into professional and semi-professional work from those universities in those countries is like comparing apples and oranges. No one would seriously pick up a Manc undergrad over an HKU undergrad. No one would even put them in the same category.

You live in some weird universe, it seems. One dominated by the lore of THE World Rankings, in Middle Earth. If the employability isn't in the top 50, the evil Lord of Light will smite you where you stand.

KCL is not "prestigious"; it's an average second-tier university, for everything but Law. I think I've said this about 20 times, but somehow the conversation takes a strange turn to something completely irrelevant.

I agree with almost everything that you've said, but I think KCL deserves a bit more respect than to be called 'an average second-tier university'. It's clearly a strong institution, and despite flaws in rankings, it places highly enough in the majority to establish a consensus that it is very good.
Birmingham is more sought after by employers than Bristol, Warwick, Bath, CUHK and the Citadel (the place where the maesters are trained in Westeros). OK, NYT, good point well put.

It's almost as if you accept these reports blindly without asking yourself what they actually mean. I am incredibly bored by this. It was only my own wit which kept me here, to be quite honest. Alas, I shall be going now, my sweet summer child.

You're a fool if you honestly believe that Exeter is more highly regarded or even on par with King's. Most people will tell you that. But by all means believe what you want to believe. If you think Exeter is one of the country's most prestigious, academic powerhouses (lol) then go ahead and think that.
Original post by Exceptional
I agree with almost everything that you've said, but I think KCL deserves a bit more respect than to be called 'an average second-tier university'. It's clearly a strong institution, and despite flaws in rankings, it places highly enough in the majority to establish a consensus that it is very good.

I was not discounting that it's a strong or very good institution. I was being quite literal in my phraseology.

It is in the tier after the first tier Oxbridge, ICL, LSE, UCL (and perhaps Durham). In that second tier—alongside Bristol, Warwick and Nottingham, and a few others—KCL does not stand out (except for Law). By definition it's average in that category.

Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
You're a fool if you honestly believe that Exeter is more highly regarded or even on par with King's. Most people will tell you that. But by all means believe what you want to believe. If you think Exeter is one of the country's most prestigious, academic powerhouses (lol) then go ahead and think that.

I have already intimated that I no longer wish to talk to you about the fanfics you've written, friend. No more talk about sub rosa meetings in the forest at midnight with Lord Vader; and no more butterbeer in the Leaky Cauldron. The age has ended and its heroes have gone onto another world. Finito. Dead.

You're like a puppy who sees its owner walking away so it gives its cutest puppy eyes to draw them back. I am not coming back; Master Callum is no longer your master and now you'll have to find your own way in the world. Bye.
Original post by lizmoo0721
I am currently at a University in central London, I am loving the course, the people I have met are lovely, but I don't feel like I am having the 'university experience'.
I'd much rather be on a campus, living in halls (i'm commuting), be able to join sports and societies without worrying about missing the last train.

I don't know what to do. I would want to move to a campus university like Sussex, Exeter or UEA, but I really am stuck on what to do.

I have been feeling this way since the beginning of the semester. Has anyone else been in the same situation?

I am feeling exactly the same and I am in my first semester at UCL. what did you end up doing?

Quick Reply

Latest