The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
n u c l e a r b d h
I beg your pardon? Would you like to point me in the direction of my post stating that 'all drinkers are scum'? As I've already mentioned, I'm talking about certain groups of people here (bored teenagers, generally) and I'm entitled to an opinion, am I not? I have no sympathy for those getting into trouble through peer pressure. I must point out that we're in D&D and comments like 'you idiot' are not going to help. This isn't Chat.

And that's fair enough. As it's getting personal, you may want to know that I don't go to the doctors for any reason and I hope to be left to die if I'm seriously ill, whether it's my fault or not. I'm not one for medical intervention in general. Cue the 'O GOOD LOL U IDIOT' reply.

So if bored teenagers turn to drink, that makes them scum does it? No, it doesn't. It means the government needs to make greater leisure provision.

I will call you an idiot when you make idiotic unfounded statements about myriad groups of people based on your false perceptions.
Reply 41
tehjonny
So if bored teenagers turn to drink, that makes them scum does it? No, it doesn't. It means the government needs to make greater leisure provision.

I will call you an idiot when you make idiotic unfounded statements about myriad groups of people based on your false perceptions.

I think that it makes them idiots, and why not? Boredom doesn't mean that you have to turn to excessive drinking in the way that stress doesn't mean that you have to turn to smoking. I have a feeling I'll be studying these groups affected by peer pressure in my next year at university so we'll then be able to see whether my perceptions were as false as you make out.
Reply 42
n u c l e a r b d h
I think that it makes them idiots, and why not? Boredom doesn't mean that you have to turn to excessive drinking in the way that stress doesn't mean that you have to turn to smoking. I have a feeling I'll be studying these groups affected by peer pressure in my next year at university so we'll then be able to see whether my perceptions were as false as you make out.

No, it doesn't mean that. If you do, it doesn't mean you are scum by the same token.

I didn't neg rep you by the way, I make a point of signing my reps :smile:.
Reply 43
tehjonny
No, it doesn't mean that. If you do, it doesn't mean you are scum by the same token.

I didn't neg rep you by the way, I make a point of signing my reps :smile:.

Ah, the anonymous nature and the fact that you resorted to name-calling led me to believe that it was you. :p: I'll fix that in a second. I'll know in a few days anyway.

Yeah... it's obvious that people aren't going to agree and I don't expect them to. I honestly can't see why these children are getting away with it, though. Firstly, they're drinking underage. Are the police punishing them? No, they're sending them to hospital to have their stomachs pumped and then sending people round to 'work with them'. I very much doubt that the majority of these teenagers will care one bit if somebody comes to talk to them about the dangers of alcohol. They're too busy trying to impress their equally stupid friends. I am trying to understand why people think that this is ok but I honestly can't.

I do realise that there are thousands of teenagers drinking underage and this isn't what concerns me. Age says very little. Many are having a drink or two at a party and acting responsibly. It's the filth on the streets that get to me.

Obviously, we've moved this on a bit and I shouldn't be talking about a specific group of people but those are the ones I'm irritated about.
Shandy ftw :smile: Bit of beer. Bit of lemonade. Ah, splendid... I'm 16 and I'm not too fond of alcohol. It's the 'cool thing' to do, and many of my friends have bowed down to peer pressure to have a few and act laddish. I don't see anything wrong with the casual drink at a party. It makes you relaxed. But when people start getting outrageously drunk and immature, then I get frustrated :frown: .

Shandy is the way forward. You know you're a man when you dilute your beer with lemonade :biggrin: .

I doubt many teenagers would attend any youth clubs or leisure centres which you propose. They're not 'cool'.

Bored teenagers who turn to drink are not scum because they turn to drink. Rather they were scum beforehand. Chavs, I think we call them :wink: .
Reply 46
Consie
Im sure he considered the aspect of social deviants purposefully harming themselves. its one of the first things you would consider.

Saying 'oh, he probably never thought of this', is like saying the first amendament of the american consitution can be interpreted however you like becasue 'i bet the founding fathers never thought of, say, terrorist activity when they were drafting it'.

The point is, we're all part of the same society. The NHS isnt just A&E either, its rehabilitation too. Are you saying alcoholics should pay for treatment to get them off alcoholism?

Just because Bevan would oppose it doesn't mean we shouldn't countenance it. Bevan also thought the NHS would be relatively cheap to run after clearing the initial backlog of sicknesses, so we can't rely on him too much.
an Siarach
Nobody said anything about the NHS not helping anyone with lung cancer.

Actually very little help is out there for lung cancer sufferers - both from NHS an priavte. Its not sexy enough.

You know over 15% of all lung cancer is in patients with no history of smoking, coal mining, asbestos, passive occupational expsoure to cig smoke etc. no reason at all why they should get it.

And yet for every case of lung cancer less than £100 is spent on research into the area
For every case of breast cancer more than £10,000 is spent on research.

Latest

Trending

Trending