The Student Room Group

Nursing Student - Home or Halls?

In September 2016 I will be going to University to study Adult Nursing. I have had 3/3 offers, one including the University that is a 10 minute walk away from my house. This University is in fact my dream Uni, as I feel so comfortable there compared to the other two, and I just love the feel of it and I like that it is quite small.

However, I am now stuck as to whether I should stay in halls there or stay at home. A lot of you may think it's an easy answer, as its cheaper to stay at home and I only live a mile or two away...but the thing that is making me so unsure is the whole "University Experience" factor, as I feel I won't get that full package without experiencing living away from home. I am also concerned that living at home will affect me socially, and not give me the independence I want.

So could I have your opinions? If you were in my position, would you choose to move into halls when your house is so close??

Danielle
Reply 1
Original post by danielleevanss
In September 2016 I will be going to University to study Adult Nursing. I have had 3/3 offers, one including the University that is a 10 minute walk away from my house. This University is in fact my dream Uni, as I feel so comfortable there compared to the other two, and I just love the feel of it and I like that it is quite small.

However, I am now stuck as to whether I should stay in halls there or stay at home. A lot of you may think it's an easy answer, as its cheaper to stay at home and I only live a mile or two away...but the thing that is making me so unsure is the whole "University Experience" factor, as I feel I won't get that full package without experiencing living away from home. I am also concerned that living at home will affect me socially, and not give me the independence I want.

So could I have your opinions? If you were in my position, would you choose to move into halls when your house is so close??

Danielle

go into halls for the first year, then decide :smile: (my teacher lived in the halls for the first year then spent the other 2 years at home)
Original post by z33
go into halls for the first year, then decide :smile: (my teacher lived in the halls for the first year then spent the other 2 years at home)

Thank you for replying! Luckily the Uni doesn't look at distance or whatever for halls, so its just first come, first served. Do you think I'd look silly if I moved even though I am so close to home??
Reply 3
Thank you for replying! Luckily the Uni doesn't look at distance or whatever for halls, so its just first come, first served. Do you think I'd look silly if I moved even though I am so close to home??

oh right
no not at all! you don't have to tell everyone where your parents live and it's even better because if you wanna go home for christmas/ if you're having money troubles with the rent/ if you just need some time off doing chores you can just walk the mile home :3

and the uni don't care tbh there's too many students for them to even remember who lives close etc - they prob won't even remember your name!
Original post by z33
oh right
no not at all! you don't have to tell everyone where your parents live and it's even better because if you wanna go home for christmas/ if you're having money troubles with the rent/ if you just need some time off doing chores you can just walk the mile home :3

and the uni don't care tbh there's too many students for them to even remember who lives close etc - they prob won't even remember your name!

Yeah that's very true! Thanks for the advice. Just got to persuade my parents now, haha. They are concerned about the financial side of it, so can't really understand why I want to spend so much money on living so close...
Reply 5
Yeah that's very true! Thanks for the advice. Just got to persuade my parents now, haha. They are concerned about the financial side of it, so can't really understand why I want to spend so much money on living so close...

np! yeah just tell them it's to get the full experience and you get loans anyway so finance is fine XD
Home or live with other nursing students :smile:
Sounds to me like you really want to have the whole uni experience which is natural. If you can afford it then go for it and live in halls. You will meet so many new people, enjoy the whole social thing and become independent big time. Then if you don't like it , move back home year 2. Good luck:smile:
Original post by Simonthegreat
Sounds to me like you really want to have the whole uni experience which is natural. If you can afford it then go for it and live in halls. You will meet so many new people, enjoy the whole social thing and become independent big time. Then if you don't like it , move back home year 2. Good luck:smile:

Thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending