The Student Room Group

My predicted gcse grades help :(

Does anyone know how to improve on any of these subjects as my targets are...

Drama: D
English: C
English literature: C
Film Studies: D :frown:
Maths: C
Media: D :frown:
Science additional: C,C,C

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fez_Shabbir

Don't trust predicted grades AT ALL. If you think you're only capable of achieveing these you WILL only get these, trust me. Just ignore them and try your best :biggrin: This happened to me at AS :frown:
Do you know how i can get my grades up

P.S Thanks for the advice:banana2::banana2::banana2:

Revising helps. :wink:
To get your grades up, well the solution is quite simply really; revise. I know that the thought of it is horrible, and by revising you dont just have to sit and stare into dull books, make it fun! My English literature notes were quite colourful, and my coursework helped too. There are plenty of websites which could help you with revision material on the subjects that you are predicted to fail, but as emiloujess said don't trust the predicted grades. My predications were lower than what I actually got.
Original post by Hydeman
Revising helps. :wink:

When did you start :/ :smile:
Original post by disputant
To get your grades up, well the solution is quite simply really; revise. I know that the thought of it is horrible, and by revising you dont just have to sit and stare into dull books, make it fun! My English literature notes were quite colourful, and my coursework helped too. There are plenty of websites which could help you with revision material on the subjects that you are predicted to fail, but as emiloujess said don't trust the predicted grades. My predications were lower than what I actually got.

What exam board did you study?

GCSE predicted grades are worthless and meaningless.

Because of my postcode, I was predicted Cs at GCSEs even though I was in top sets for maths, science and English.

I finished with 12 GCSEs at A*-B including maths and further maths (A*A*), language and lit (AA), and biology, chemistry and physics (BAB)

I left it last minute but I had a good grasp of the material and decent mock grades so I wasn't too worried. It's only at A Level that I started revising properly. :smile:

You may want to ask your teachers for extra help in bringing your grades up, I think. They'll be able to direct you to any relevant resources and answer any questions that you have about the subject matter.

You should never get yourself bogged down in predicted grades, despite their name I found them really inaccurate plus they're given at the beginning of GCSEs and trust me if you work hard for the following two years you can get far better than what they predicted. Likewise if they predict you higher, don't be lazy because it doesn't mean you'll have those grades ( I remember I was predicted 8A*s and 2As and I got 2A*s and 8As lol). So yeah as long as your willing to work hard and rehearse yourself in what's required in your exams you can do far far better than what any teacher predicts you at the beginning of your GCSEs!!!
What exam board did you study?

I mostly did CCEA (Maths, French, RE, ICT and Technology) also did few AQA (Double Award Science & Polish) and EDEXCEL (English Language & English Lit)
Reply 11

obviously revise but what i do is try lots of past paper questions and the things i get wrong i write the question on flash cards (or even if im reading through notes and i realize i dont remember something) and test myself on them every other day until i know i have them correct, trust me it really helps! As well as that try to link what you learn into everyday, for example i do biology and my mum was talking about nutrients in food or something, so i took the oportunity to discuss the absorption of dissolved food at the villi in the large intestine and went through the details of it, which helps you revise, as youre actually having to think about it! For English, READ! Honestly it does help, try and notice things in movies that are done specially, for example when im watching a movie i always try to think of why the director has structured the movie in that specific way, the themes that are trying to be portrayed, look deeper, and youll find you might even enjoy the movie more. For maths get a head start on everything, look at bbc bitesize and see what youre doing next in class, look over it, try a couple questions, you might not be great at it, but when it comes to actuallu learning it in class youll have vaguley looked over it already and so it makes a lot more sense, trust me it honestly works. And finally, predicted grades arent everything, you still can make a change, dont be disheartened by them :smile: hope this helps :smile:

Study hard!

P.S Thanks for the advice:banana2::banana2::banana2:

Revise... loads. For the Maths/Science subjects, make sure you understand the material and do loads of past papers - as many as you can. For English-type subjects essay structure is very important, so as well as understanding the material make sure you can interpret what a question is asking you and make sure you have essay structure nailed. Most importantly find a revision method that suits YOU. Whether it's cue cards, mind-maps, copying out stuff repeatedly, colour-coding... try out different methods and find out which one helps you best :smile:

But listening to predictions isn't going to do you any good. I don't want to scare you but I listened to my AS predictions of CDEE and becuase I thought I couldn't achieve more than that I ended up with EEUU.
Original post by o.0
obviously revise but what i do is try lots of past paper questions and the things i get wrong i write the question on flash cards (or even if im reading through notes and i realize i dont remember something) and test myself on them every other day until i know i have them correct, trust me it really helps! As well as that try to link what you learn into everyday, for example i do biology and my mum was talking about nutrients in food or something, so i took the oportunity to discuss the absorption of dissolved food at the villi in the large intestine and went through the details of it, which helps you revise, as youre actually having to think about it! For English, READ! Honestly it does help, try and notice things in movies that are done specially, for example when im watching a movie i always try to think of why the director has structured the movie in that specific way, the themes that are trying to be portrayed, look deeper, and youll find you might even enjoy the movie more. For maths get a head start on everything, look at bbc bitesize and see what youre doing next in class, look over it, try a couple questions, you might not be great at it, but when it comes to actuallu learning it in class youll have vaguley looked over it already and so it makes a lot more sense, trust me it honestly works. And finally, predicted grades arent everything, you still can make a change, dont be disheartened by them :smile: hope this helps :smile:

Thanks ill try this how long do you revise daily?
did anyone here take edexcel biology? And what topics did you learn for the mocks? :smile:

I suggest you start now or soon after Xmas Day. Even if you do a little bit each day.

Here are my tips:

- Make sure your notes are all up to date, if anything is missing fill in the gaps or do it as soon as term resumes.

-I found it worked best to make notes of my notes, highlighting key words or using different coloured inks.

-Then try to condense these notes further onto flashcards or what I used, reporters notebooks. I call these quick revision notes i.e. because you can revise a topic/subject rather quickly. Carry this with you wherever you go.

-Record the quick revision notes onto your ipod/ipad (google for software called 'Free HiQ Player). Listen to these notes over and over again perhaps after reading them. Also play them in your sleep, you can take in a lot of info in your sleep. Might want to get some comfy earphones or headphones for this.

- Best study guides for GCSE for me were CGP, clear and to the point without cutting corners.

- Could use mindmaps but I didn't use these until I got to university.

-Maybe do post its or posters with key points on topics etc Put them all over your room or house or somewhere you will see them regularly.

- Study hard. There really is no substitute. There's no minimum or maximum amount of time to spend on any subject. You spend as long or as little as you need until the material sinks in. If you need explaining on something then google it or ask the teacher and/or if your parents can afford it, hire a private tutor.

You have a lot of work to do but it's not an impossible situation if it's what you want. May take up a lot of hours and sacrifices need to be made, of course you're entitled to a break every now and then, work those into your schedule as goals or treats. But it's all worth it if you can turn those grades into As and Bs or heck even A*s?
Oh and past papers.

MUST do past papers!

Those grades are absolutely shocking; just commit!

I was in your position last september and i'm telling you now, those targets don't mean a thing. During my first half term i was passing my sciences with B's and A's while i was predicted a C, same with film studies and i got a B i think. It's not about what they say you'll get it's about the revision you put in and effort, and if you do end up achieving just the target grade, that's still good!!! i'm sure you'll get better that them though, but if you don't depending on the year your in now, you'll get more chances so chill!!! :P

Quick Reply

Latest