The Student Room Group

Corbynistas: If Labour won the next election with a working majority what next?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JezWeCan!
Look I'll have no more of this "rubbing it in my face" stuff, it just makes me jealous...

My pets aren't in Germany :tongue:
Tories will kick up a loud protest about the dangers of giving up the nuclear deterrent and pulling out of NATO and threaten to emigrate to Switzerland.
Original post by mmm778899
Errrr so I own a business and suddenly I have to give some of it away, for no money? And thats not idiotic?

So Russia fly planes (capable of carrying nuclear weapons) towards the Scottish North-East coast (which have to be intercepted by the RAF)..... because?

A cooperative is a highly effective and ethical business model.

Trident ain't a deterrent because if some nutjob sets off nuclear we're all dead anyway...
How would social justice be created? A wealth tax? A tax on property? Increases to income tax rates at the top combined with big rises in the personal allowance?

So punish those who work hard and throw money at those who havent? Thats social justice?

Would the Public Schools be abolished?

Would it be illegal to give private tuition?

Oxbridge forced to accept more BME and State School Applicants with lower grades?

You want kids with lower grades to go to the top universities?

The banks nationalised? Public spending increased to end austerity, if so on what?

Dont need to, just need more competition.

How many Syrian Refugees should we take?

None

How much more should be spent on Foreign Aid?

Minus current_Foreign_Aid_Bill

What would be the aim vis a vis greater immigration?

lol!

The monarchy would be abolished, right, but the House of Lords too?

Must...... rid...... Britain...... of..... everything...... British.... done!

No more Trident, obviously, but do we actually need an Army, Navy and Air Force at all in the modern world?

Are you ****ting me?

What about legislation to stop Islamophobia? Make all criticism of Islam and Muslims a hate crime punishable by jail?

Where there's smoke, there is fire.
Reply 24
Original post by abruiseonthesky
My pets aren't in Germany :tongue:

I wasn't thinking about your pets... :biggrin:

Stop it, anyway, just totally stop it. This was a serious political thread and you have totally distracted me.

Time to log off just like the sainted Jeremy would want me to.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Tories will kick up a loud protest about the dangers of giving up the nuclear deterrent and pulling out of NATO and threaten to emigrate to Switzerland.

There's no way that'd happen, they use methane from their cows as a gas source - far too green that is :wink:
A cooperative is a highly effective and ethical business model.

Who is going to set up a business just to have most of it given away? How many voluntary cooperatives do we have as a proportion of all businesses? Oh yeah, not many!

Trident ain't a deterrent because if some nutjob sets off nuclear we're all dead anyway...

Therefore don't bother defending against the sane? Thats your argument?
I wasn't thinking about your pets... :biggrin:

Stop it, anyway, just totally stop it. This was a serious political thread and you have totally distracted me.

Time to log off just like the sainted Jeremy would want me to.

Germany's great without the pet-less-ness, I've done so much travel :wink:

I did start political, you started the derailing :wink:
Reply 28

Spoiler

You do realise that OP isn't supporting these ideas and is probably right leaning himself. So you don't need to debunk these almost satire policies.
Who is going to set up a business just to have most of it given away? How many voluntary cooperatives do we have as a proportion of all businesses? Oh yeah, not many!

Therefore don't bother defending against the sane? Thats your argument?

Due to human greed and the capitalist ideal of 'more/money is best' (disclaimer: I don't actually disagree with capitalism full stop, just our and America's widely out of control version of it).

My point is there's no use in wasting money on a system that is, essentially, useless. Spend it on other, more important things. The Tories are dismantling our NHS because there's 'no money' (i.e. their private business friends are after the business), uni fees are at £9000, pensioners are being fined if they need help getting up after falling, and we're spending billions on something that will never be used and that is completely useless?
Original post by york_wbu
You do realise that OP isn't supporting these ideas and is probably right leaning himself. So you don't need to debunk these almost satire policies.

I did but then some of the things they said actually sounded like genuine support.
Due to human greed and the capitalist ideal of 'more/money is best' (disclaimer: I don't actually disagree with capitalism full stop, just our and America's widely out of control version of it).

How is it greedy for the person who invests the most money in a business to reap the most reward?

My point is there's no use in wasting money on a system that is, essentially, useless.

and as I keep telling you, its not useless. How many world wars have there been since Hiroshima? None.

Tell me, with no Trident what stops countries like NK, Syria, Russia and Iran firing missiles at us?

Spend it on other, more important things. The Tories are dismantling our NHS because there's 'no money' (i.e. their private business friends are after the business)

So Labour didn't leave office with a rather large debt?

uni fees are at £9000

Which wouldnt be the case if only the brightest attended university.....

pensioners are being fined if they need help getting up after falling

??

and we're spending billions on something that will never be used and that is completely useless?

But its not useless..... its a deterrent...... police have CS spray and metal batons, but because they don't use them often, does this mean they are useless?
How is it greedy for the person who invests the most money in a business to reap the most reward?

and as I keep telling you, its not useless. How many world wars have there been since Hiroshima? None.

Tell me, with no Trident what stops countries like NK, Syria, Russia and Iran firing missiles at us?

So Labour didn't leave office with a rather large debt?

Which wouldnt be the case if only the brightest attended university.....

??

But its not useless..... its a deterrent...... police have CS spray and metal batons, but because they don't use them often, does this mean they are useless?

My point is if it were cooperative everyone would get slightly less money but they'd invest the same amount too... all we care about is money, money, money.

And that's not because we've decided the human cost of atomic is too much? Course not...

Hm, maybe the fact that they'd all die too..?

Oh yes, silly me, I forgot Gordon Brown caused the global banking crisis :rolleyes:

We're gonna have to agree to disagree re: fees. Imo fees wouldn't be at £9000 if the Tories weren't so obsessive about everything following a capitalist business model. Universities should not be run as business. I'm studying in Berlin on a year abroad, and I'm paying £1350 for the year. As a non-German EU student. Natives pay nothing. Bloody disgraceful that we charge for something that imo should be free as education is a right, not a privilege.

News broke recently.

You're comparing local law enforcement with global WMD's, which are backed with a policy of MAD? Really..?
Original post by viddy9
* The overarching economic strategy would be that prescribed by the majority of economists, and elementary macroeconomics: an invest-to-grow strategy as opposed to an economically damaging austerity agenda.

* I imagine that corporation tax will be increased by something like 0.5%, and the top rate of income tax would be increased to 50%. Personally, I would urge Corbyn to introduce a Land Value Tax and leave corporation tax as it is.

* On tax avoidance and evasion, we'll see numerous corporations being taken on, and I suspect that Corbyn's government would participate in the EU-wide coalition to tackle tax avoidance. Similarly, a Corbyn government would agree to, as most other EU countries have done, implement an EU-wide Financial Transactions Tax, which would be much more effective when implemented across the EU rather than in a single country.

* We'd see the railways, and perhaps the energy companies, taken back into public ownership in accordance with the views of the large majority of the British public, meaning that taxpayers' money is no longer used to subsidise rail and energy corporations.

* We'd see the extension of democracy into the workplace, with workers' rights extended meaning that people have more say in how their workplaces are run. We'd see more rights for the self-employed and more support for small and medium-sized businesses and enterprises.

* Trident should be scrapped: it's a colossal waste of money that serves no purpose. The money would be used to invest in the economy, increase funding for public services, and invest in defence diversification and other military initiatives that many in the Army are calling for.

In an ideal world this ^.

However realisticly new labour has proven to just be tories with red ties. I genuinely cant see Corbyn turning this around.
My point is if it were cooperative everyone would get slightly less money but they'd invest the same amount too... all we care about is money, money, money.

And that's not because we've decided the human cost of atomic is too much? Course not...

Hm, maybe the fact that they'd all die too..?

Oh yes, silly me, I forgot Gordon Brown caused the global banking crisis :rolleyes:

We're gonna have to agree to disagree re: fees. Imo fees wouldn't be at £9000 if the Tories weren't so obsessive about everything following a capitalist business model. Universities should not be run as business. I'm studying in Berlin on a year abroad, and I'm paying £1350 for the year. As a non-German EU student. Natives pay nothing. Bloody disgraceful that we charge for something that imo should be free as education is a right, not a privilege.

News broke recently.

You're comparing local law enforcement with global WMD's, which are backed with a policy of MAD? Really..?

Brown/Blair kept spending when they could have been paying down the before the crisis hit. Instead they kept spending. The policy of spending your way out of a recession does make sense but only if you've got the money to do so.

I'll happily get rid of Trident the day everyone else gets rid of their nukes. Or the day we develop a space based laser that hits incoming ICBMs/cruise missiles in flight and have a 100% secure way to stop nukes getting through the border from shipping etc.... But implementing both of those are probably more expensive than a submarine based nuclear deterrent (and I don't think even defensive weapons are allowed in space under UN treaty regulations).
Original post by Tempest II
Brown/Blair kept spending when they could have been paying down the before the crisis hit. Instead they kept spending. The policy of spending your way out of a recession does make sense but only if you've got the money to do so.

I'll happily get rid of Trident the day everyone else gets rid of their nukes. Or the day we develop a space based laser that hits incoming ICBMs/cruise missiles in flight and have a 100% secure way to stop nukes getting through the border from shipping etc.... But implementing both of those are probably more expensive than a submarine based nuclear deterrent (and I don't think even defensive weapons are allowed in space under UN treaty regulations).

And it was the Tories that were after less regulation of the banks. Also (although I may be wrong) my understanding is that the 2008-9 crash wasn't predicted. Are you blaming Blair for spending in the years proceeding the crash with no prior knowledge of it? I mean, I'm not Blair's biggest fan, but really?

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on Trident I think.
And it was the Tories that were after less regulation of the banks. Also (although I may be wrong) my understanding is that the 2008-9 crash wasn't predicted. Are you blaming Blair for spending in the years proceeding the crash with no prior knowledge of it? I mean, I'm not Blair's biggest fan, but really?We're gonna have to agree to disagree on Trident I think.

I agree that hindsight is a wonderful thing but there have been economic rises & falls for hundreds of years. It'd be hopelessly naive at best to think a recession couldn't/wouldn't happen. The deficit could have been a lot lower if Blair/Brown had chosen to spend less. They had ten years.

I can't say for certain if it'd been any different under a Tory Govt. Lessons have to be learnt now though & the Govt should have a fund it can dip into in the future should the worst happen. I'm sure I've read somewhere that this Govt wants to do that but what any Govt says and what it does are two very different things.
Original post by viddy9

Except, it doesn't deter anything. Contrary to the delusional fantasies of some, there isn't going to be a joint Russian-ISIS-Argentinian invasion of Britain - Putin isn't going to be riding across the sea on a bear into Britain.

There certainly isn't going to ever be any such invasion precisely because we have nuclear weapons. It would be moronic to suggest though that Putin would behave the same way with the West if NATO didn't have a nuclear umbrella.

Original post by viddy9

Here's a useful thought-experiment: if we didn't have nuclear weapons today, would our politicians be making their acquisition a top priority? Of course they wouldn't, because they're not needed. The notion that we need Trident stems from people falling prey to the status quo bias. Numerous other countries, from Switzerland to Sweden, cope perfectly well without them.

As Simon Jenkins (hardly a Corbynite) describes, support for Trident is hardly widespread amongst military thinkers: those who support Trident do so due to global posturing or, at best, due to misguided and naive fears about "national security" when, as shown above, it's simply not needed.

Sweden and Switzerland are protected by NATO's nuclear umbrella. Provided partly by us. That's like arguing that a wife who doesn't work but does alright for herself because the husband buys her everything is evidence that the husband doesn't need a job anymore and should emulate the freeloading wife.
Even if they don't have nuclear weapons themselves they still benefit from them. Relying on others for security and defence is not a policy I'm particularly comfortable with.
(edited 8 years ago)

My point is there's no use in wasting money on a system that is, essentially, useless. Spend it on other, more important things. The Tories are dismantling our NHS because there's 'no money' (i.e. their private business friends are after the business), uni fees are at £9000, pensioners are being fined if they need help getting up after falling, and we're spending billions on something that will never be used and that is completely useless?

-That NHS rhetoric is tired now. The left have been proclaiming that for decades and yet the NHS is still here. The Tories keep continuing to ring fence it from cuts. Also, what's the excuse for the shambles that is the Welsh NHS, run by Labour?!
-Tuition fees are essentially a graduate tax. Uni remains free at the point of entry.
-One barmy local district council, are you really going to try and spin that into a major scandal?
-The whole point of a deterrent is that it never gets used. If we used it then it wouldn't be a very good one.
Original post by Tempest II
I agree that hindsight is a wonderful thing but there have been economic rises & falls for hundreds of years. It'd be hopelessly naive at best to think a recession couldn't/wouldn't happen. The deficit could have been a lot lower if Blair/Brown had chosen to spend less. They had ten years.

I can't say for certain if it'd been any different under a Tory Govt. Lessons have to be learnt now though & the Govt should have a fund it can dip into in the future should the worst happen. I'm sure I've read somewhere that this Govt wants to do that but what any Govt says and what it does are two very different things.

I don't think anyone predicted how bad that one would be though. But yeah I'm not sure it would be much different under a different party. Given that the Tories wanted less regulation of the banks, it might well have led to the same/similar situation.

Yeah, I don't really trust what the government says... especially given the current and coalition government's habit of ignoring scientific evidence to do what's best for them. Why would they use a common sense policy like having an emergency fund? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending