The Student Room Group

When did you first realise you were LGBT?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airmed
I'm not LGBT per se, but I'm asexual. It's one of those where I believe I don't have to come out (I too thought I was bi for a few months a few years ago because I always knew deep down I wasn't heterosexual) so I'm happy with it.

However, coming out as asexual would confuse everyone: I'm in a very happy relationship with a wonderful fella. I can't remember the exact term but I'm the kind of asexual who can be in happy, committed relationships. And my relationship is absolutely brilliant. He's the only person I have been sexually attracted to, and I'm very happy.

Would you date a woman? whether sexually or non sexually?
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
Would you date a woman? whether sexually or non sexually?

I don't think so. I've always gotten on better with men, friendship wise itself.
I think that's completely normal. I'm not attracted to anyone unless the romantic attachment is there first.. I'm not asexual though
What gender were you born as? Pardon my ignorance, but when you say you didn't realise you were trans, did you feel like you were in the right body/gender before the realisation or not. If no did you realise there was something not tallying up and you did not put your finger on it til then?

I was assigned female at birth. It was more of a slow realisation, some people know from a young age that they're trans, for me it kind of slowly dawned on me that it wasn't normal for a girl to feel such a connection with gay male characters, and to secretly collect pictures of men I wished I looked like :colondollar: I cut my hair short when I was a teenager and immediately felt far more comfortable in myself, i would always be really pleased when I was cast as a guy in plays. I'd basically use every excuse that involved fancy dress/cosplay to go as a guy character. And then I read more about the concept of being trans and it just kind of fell into place. I don't actually see myself as a man, I'm nonbinary, somewhere in the middle, but I like presenting as masculine

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Airmed
When that happened at school, I would always get so bored - or, when I was younger, like 12/13, I would get frustrated at myself for not fancying people, not being "normal".

I felt the same. I think it's one of the reasons I buried myself in my books. It would be nice if asexuality was mentioned as an option during sex ed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airmed
I don't think so. I've always gotten on better with men, friendship wise itself.

Did you actually come out as bi? If so how did you back track?
THANK GOD I never came out as bi, I would feel bad for breeding bi-invisibility and perpetuating the myth that bi men don't exist which I'm sure they do
Reply 26
Original post by Katty3
I felt the same. I think it's one of the reasons I buried myself in my books. It would be nice if asexuality was mentioned as an option during sex ed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went to a Catholic grammar, of course asexuality was never going to be mentioned. :rolleyes: But, yup, I buried myself in books too.
Reply 27
Did you actually come out as bi? If so how did you back track?
THANK GOD I never came out as bi, I would feel bad for breeding bi-invisibility and perpetuating the myth that bi men don't exist which I'm sure they do

Only to some friends. But it was easy to backtrack with them as they are very open with such stuff. I did, in a way, come out to my daddy, but he told me not to worry and just be true to myself. I reckon he has always known I'm asexual.
Reply 28
Original post by Airmed
I went to a Catholic grammar, of course asexuality was never going to be mentioned. :rolleyes: But, yup, I buried myself in books too.

I went to a non religious grammar school. They really should have mentioned it. They didn't even discuss homosexuality in regards to how to prevent STDs, never mind in regards to same sex romantic relationships.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Katty3
I went to a non religious grammar school. They really should have mentioned it. They didn't even discuss homosexuality in regards to how to prevent STDs, never mind in regards to same sex romantic relationships.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sex ed is ridiculously outdated.
Reply 30
Original post by Airmed
Sex ed is ridiculously outdated.

I know. I wasn't even taught about basic hormonal contraception. It could very easily be turned into an interesting and informative subject, if there was the time put into developing an effective curriculum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think there would be a massive ****storm if it was taught in schools.
I obviously don't agree, but my father thinks homosexuality and any sexuality apart from heterosexuality should not be taught in schools because biology doesn't agree with it, and he is of the opinion that people are influenced by their friends/media/surroundings (I think environment influences it to an extent, but I don't think someone can turn you lol), so if teachers teach about other sexualities it might influence already straight people to be that way which my dad thinks is harmful.
So maybe that's why?
He also believes LGBT characters on TV shows aimed at children and teens should be banned for the reasons above, and adverts like 'Some people are gay, get over it' romanticizes homosexuality. No it doesn't?!
Reply 32
Do you think there would be a massive ****storm if it was taught in schools.
I obviously don't agree, but my father thinks homosexuality and any sexuality apart from heterosexuality should not be taught in schools because biology doesn't agree with it, and he is of the opinion that people are influenced by their friends/media/surroundings (I think environment influences it to an extent, but I don't think someone can turn you lol), so if teachers teach about other sexualities it might influence already straight people to be that way which my dad thinks is harmful.
So maybe that's why?
He also believes LGBT characters on TV shows aimed at children and teens should be banned for the reasons above, and adverts like 'Some people are gay, get over it' romanticizes homosexuality. No it doesn't?!

There would be a massive backlash from some of the less progressive members of the media, but it is logical from a public health perspective as much as anything.

No offence, but your dad is talking boll*cks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
There would be a massive backlash from some of the less progressive members of the media, but it is logical from a public health perspective as much as anything.

No offence, but your dad is talking boll*cks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess so.
None taken, I completely agree with you. I love my dad, but I hate how he acts like he knows what he's talking about and uses big words to make it sound so.
I made out with one of my best friends at a party... and then promptly fell for her.
When I was about 6 or 7 and I had an urge to kiss my girl friend. We kissed and I didn't have much of a sexual urge at that age but I did feel something and we kissed and what not until we were about 12 and then I realised I liked guys too and from then on I've been mostly attracted to guys and only ever had sex, relationships and sexual encounters with guys but I do think that if I were single, I would still be up for doing stuff with girls and maybe even have a serious relationship with one but for the past six years I've been in a relationship with a guy and I couldn't be happier and never want it to end :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending