The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

[Official] Sheffield Hallam University [SHU] - Q&A discuss thread

Please find the new thread to ask questions here >>

Hello!

This is your chance to ask us any questions you have about living as a student in Sheffield, whether it's about studying one of our courses, concerns about moving away from home or finding a decent pint in the city.

Whatever your question is, we'd like to give you the chance to start a discussion and we can chime in with suggestions and answers.

We look forward to hearing from you :h:

Laura & Hannah
(Official Sheffield Hallam reps)
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How hard is it to get in?
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by Somadiner
How hard is it to get in?

Hi Somadiner,

It depends which course you would like to study with us. We have over 700 courses and each of them have different entry requirements which you will need to meet to apply. Further information can be found on our online prospectus.

If you have any further questions, do let me know :smile: Alternatively you can talk to somebody on 0114 225 5555.

Thanks,
Laura (official SHU rep)
Hello, I have applied to study Occupational Therapy. Really eager to know if I have an interview but still
Not heard anything back. I sent my application off on the 7th December. Constantly checking UCAS and emails.
Anyone else applied for OT??
I've applied for OT as well and am waiting for reply from derby.
My friend is also waiting on Derby for OT. She has already had an interview for Sheffield Hallam and York St John

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,
I've applied for Education studies and have received an unconditional offer.
Due to me living in Staffordshire I'd want to live in student accommodation. I was wondering when you would start moving into your halls in September - I'm on holiday and I won't be back home until the 8th of September!? x
Original post by Kirsty Redfern
Hello,
I've applied for Education studies and have received an unconditional offer.
Due to me living in Staffordshire I'd want to live in student accommodation. I was wondering when you would start moving into your halls in September - I'm on holiday and I won't be back home until the 8th of September!? x

Hi Kirsty,

Usually people move into student accommodation in the week/weekend before Freshers Week (19th September this year), so you will still have time to move once you're back from your holidays. Are you off somewhere sunny? :biggrin:

It might be worth giving the friendly guys in Accommodation services a call and they should be able to provide further details. You can call them on 0114 225 5555.

Thanks,
Laura
Original post by Michelle Green
My friend is also waiting on Derby for OT. She has already had an interview for Sheffield Hallam and York St John

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just got back from derby, didn't get in but they gave me a chance to do some other courses.:angry:

Got an interview for Coventry, anyone got any tips?:s-smilie:
Original post by Student1408
Just got back from derby, didn't get in but they gave me a chance to do some other courses.:angry:

Got an interview for Coventry, anyone got any tips?:s-smilie:

Aww sorry to hear this.. When did u have your interview? I had an interview at Derby on the 5th.
Best of luck in your Coventry interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hey,

I've applied to do OT at Sheffield Hallam, Teeside, Derby, Cumbria and Newcastle. I am hoping I get an interview for Sheffield Hallam as it would be my first choice. Unfortunately Teeside rejected me and gave me an offer for 'Early Childhood studies' instead. I have an interview for Derby on the 23rd of March next month and an interview for Cumrbia on the 2nd of March. What sort of experiences do you have? I've been finding it so hard to find people who are applying for the same course at the same places!
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi Kirsty,

Usually people move into student accommodation in the week/weekend before Freshers Week (19th September this year), so you will still have time to move once you're back from your holidays. Are you off somewhere sunny? :biggrin:

It might be worth giving the friendly guys in Accommodation services a call and they should be able to provide further details. You can call them on 0114 225 5555.

Thanks,
Laura

Hello Laura,
Thankyou for the reply!
Atleast thats one thing i havent got to worry about now.
i'm off the ayia napa so ill have a tan when i move into my accomindation!:smile:
Hello!

This is your chance to ask us any questions you have about living as a student in Sheffield, whether it's about studying one of our courses, concerns about moving away from home or finding a decent pint in the city.

Whatever your question is, we'd like to give you the chance to start a discussion and we can chime in with suggestions and answers.

Laura & Hannah

Good Morning,

I was just wondering when the latest date for hearing back from admissions for Physiotherapy?
I have had my replies from all other Uni's but just not Hallam, and I was wondering if it is just a slip up or whether the process is that long that I won't hear back until May time for example?

Cheers,
Doug
Original post by dougiedoug69
Good Morning,

I was just wondering when the latest date for hearing back from admissions for Physiotherapy?
I have had my replies from all other Uni's but just not Hallam, and I was wondering if it is just a slip up or whether the process is that long that I won't hear back until May time for example?

Cheers,
Doug

Hi Doug,

It can take varied amounts of time to hear back from us depending on the academic department and number of applicants. Physiotherapy is a very popular course, so it's likely we've simply not reached your application yet. If you're really concerned about your application, you can give our admissions team a call on 0114 225 5555.

Thanks

Hannah & Laura
(Official TSR Reps)
Hello!
I've been offered a few conditional offers for Diagnostic Radiography but I've decided on Sheffield Hallam :biggrin:.
I'm about to hit 30 this year (slightly depressing...)

I'm looking at moving into halls for the first year, I've been advised to put on my application to be grouped up with other mature students so I believe I might end up in a random accommodation but with mature students. I'm not bothered about the distance to the campus as most accommodation is within 30mins.

Few questions
Any ideas which are the quieter Halls? As I can't handle drinking and partying any more...
Is there a mature student groups/society?
Do you see many older students in halls?

Got a student tour booked in a couple of weeks to have a better look around can't wait!

Thanks
James
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I've got a conditional offer for Game Design and am waiting for some other offers but really want to go to Sheffield Hallam. Super excited because it looks really good.

My only concern is that I've heard the SU isn't great and was wondering if there are any changes being made to try and improve it for September 2016?
Original post by ILikePasta
Hi, I've got a conditional offer for Game Design and am waiting for some other offers but really want to go to Sheffield Hallam. Super excited because it looks really good.

My only concern is that I've heard the SU isn't great and was wondering if there are any changes being made to try and improve it for September 2016?

Hello,

There have been massive changes happening to the SU over the last few months.

Our café (formerly known as POD4) is now a cool new coffee shop called Coffee Union, serving Starbucks coffee cheaper than a high street alongside a great range of delicious cakes and pastries.

There's also a pop up shop in the entrance selling Hallam hoodies, goodies and event tickets. You won't recognise the place!

Thanks,
Laura
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello!

Laura & Hannah

Hello, I have received a conditional offer for diagnostic radiography and wanted to apply for the accommodations but it hasn't been letting me for a month now, what do I do? And what is the place halls that are close to my lecture rooms?
Thank you
Original post by elenrockx44
Hello, I have received a conditional offer for diagnostic radiography and wanted to apply for the accommodations but it hasn't been letting me for a month now, what do I do? And what is the place halls that are close to my lecture rooms?
Thank you

Hi Elenrockx44,

Congratulations on your offer :h:

Have you made your firm and insurance choices yet? You'll need to make sure you've done this before you are able to apply for our accommodation.

You'll be studying at Collegiate Campus, so there are some great accommodation choices for you within a short walk. The Forge and Charlotte Court are both about a 15-20 minute walk away. They're great for meeting new people, are really good quality and as well as being close to Collegiate, it's still really easy to get into the city centre. Here's our accommodation map so you can see for yourself. :smile:

Hope that's helpful

Hannah & Laura
(Official TSR reps)
How do I apply for the NHS bursary?

Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending