The Student Room Group

Reggie Yates - 'dying for a six pack' BBC three

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=SmashConcept;61457419]True but how many of those people would list weed legalization as one of their top 5 issues when deciding who to vote for? Probably more like 5%? That's what I mean by there being no appetite for it, because most of those people who poll in favour will still vote for a prohibition party when push comes to shove.

I can't comment on actual nature of the documentary because I haven't seen it. If it really tried to suggest that going to the gym has to be an unhealthy obsession then obviously I agree that's bad.

Oh ok... My mistake.
It would be hypocritical for me to disagree. I vote Tory (although I'm to the left and especially liberal extremities) and am in favour of legalisation.

Yeah, basically it said gym going ie more than working off Christmas fat etc, more than occasional bursts or doing light training on machines (didn't state that explicitly but you follow) was 'obsessive' and all those interviewed (bar some models who were more normal) had problems. Centering around body dysmorphia and a strive for perfection. With a very mediocre body being described as very good and the guy who had it had been training for 3 years (said in a way to suggest that was soooo long) was a nutter and wrapped cling film around himself to try and get a six pack by getting rid of water weight. The guy was on steroids too.
His body was very poor considering, seriously average.
Like if you watched it you'd get it I think
Reckon Reggie started using that blokes clen and allowed the gym? :holmes:
Original post by jam277
Loooooooool 7kg dumbells. **** that's bad.

Yeah, had clingfilm wrapped around him, in a sauna, curling 7kg Dumbbells trying to work off the water weight so he can get better ab definition. He is also not clean.
Guy can't have weighed more than 75kg (being nice to him with that weight if I guess he was 6'0)
Original post by Unistudent77
What's wrong with that in moderation though? We are all self-conscience to an extent, we all want to improve and see progression. The 21st century world is vain af so everyone needs to compete unfortunately, you can't improve your genetics, especially when talking about our faces etc but we can have great bodies which will improve your appearance significantly.

Nobody is forcing anyone to lift.

My problem is I'm old fashioned. Fitness isn't measured by the presence of a six pack or the appearance of your biceps. If you take exercise seriously, the gym is somewhere you go to build strength and endurance for whatever your sport is. I'm closer to Yates' age than many of the lads I see in the gym. As he said, the obsession with going to the gym purely to bulk up and look good is a relatively new thing.

I find it both perplexing and depressing that half the lads in the gym at essentially there to preen themselves. It's also a pain in the arse having to move around to avoid appearing in the background of someone's sodding selfie.
[QUOTE=Quantex;61459651]My problem is I'm old fashioned. Fitness isn't measured by the presence of a six pack or the appearance of your biceps. If you take exercise seriously, the gym is somewhere you go to build strength and endurance for whatever your sport is. I'm closer to Yates' age than many of the lads I see in the gym. As he said, the obsession with going to the gym purely to bulk up and look good is a relatively new thing.

I find it both perplexing and depressing that half the lads in the gym at essentially there to preen themselves. It's also a pain in the arse having to move around to avoid appearing in the background of someone's sodding selfie.

Fair post. I get what you are saying.

I agree, fitness is not measured by those factors.
However we are so narcisstic now (well society is) and ultimately if you have a great body you will be in the minority, you will get attention and respect for it.

I requires dedication that many people don't have. I do have that so I want to maximise it.

I think the selfie thing is vain af. I don't need to take a photo to know I'm making progress etc, it's just horrendous. I don't want to see gym selfies on FB.

For me, although initially I was jumping on the bandwagon re vanity, I now think I train because I genuinely want to. I feel good after I train, I like seeing progress (goes for everything in life) and it makes you healthy and fit.
Lastly, then there is the obvious appearance benefits.

The gym and recent surge of young men lifting and/or growth of associated culture does have people there who are lifting for the 'wrong' reasons but I think a majority are about self-improvement and well-being. Nobody takes a selfie (that I've seen) at my gym... Some do pose in mirrors but it's not too bad tbh
Fair post. I get what you are saying.

I agree, fitness is not measured by those factors.
However we are so narcisstic now (well society is) and ultimately if you have a great body you will be in the minority, you will get attention and respect for it.

I requires dedication that many people don't have. I do have that so I want to maximise it.

I think the selfie thing is vain af. I don't need to take a photo to know I'm making progress etc, it's just horrendous. I don't want to see gym selfies on FB.

For me, although initially I was jumping on the bandwagon re vanity, I now think I train because I genuinely want to. I feel good after I train, I like seeing progress (goes for everything in life) and it makes you healthy and fit.
Lastly, then there is the obvious appearance benefits.

The gym and recent surge of young men lifting and/or growth of associated culture does have people there who are lifting for the 'wrong' reasons but I think a majority are about self-improvement and well-being. Nobody takes a selfie (that I've seen) at my gym... Some do pose in mirrors but it's not too bad tbh

Totally agree with everything you've said! Sadly at my gym, vanity is prevalent and I'm talking guys taking shirts off to admire their abs, I legit can't fathom why they feel it's necessary to do it in the gym - buy a full length mirror for home!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Sacred Ground;61460709]Totally agree with everything you've said! Sadly at my gym, vanity is prevalent and I'm talking guys taking shirts off to admire their abs, I legit can't fathom why they feel it's necessary to do it in the gym - buy a full length mirror for home!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's horrible. Bleugh!
It's far better to be modest and play it down than to be a vain knob.
I get comments from people who haven't seen me in 6 months noticing that in 'bigger' etc but for me I play it all down.
1) I'm tiny, I'm miles away from my goal (but crucially I'm content, like if I had to take my top off I would. I may never reach 'perfection' in my minds eye but I think I'll reach 'very happy' with how I look.

2) It's so vain to draw attention to yourself. As the quote goes (from who I can't remember) 'seek respect, not attention. It lasts longer'

I could go on....

I agree many people these days go too far due to the growth of social media but I didn't like the insinuation from the programme that to train religiously is somehow obsession and fuelled by insecurity/mental issues.
Sure, you must be careful but frankly occasional, sporadic gym going is just lazy. If you don't want to be anything better than mediocre, fine but don't put down those who do work hard and attain very good physiques or whatever else. Just my view...
Original post by Quantex
My problem is I'm old fashioned. Fitness isn't measured by the presence of a six pack or the appearance of your biceps. If you take exercise seriously, the gym is somewhere you go to build strength and endurance for whatever your sport is. I'm closer to Yates' age than many of the lads I see in the gym. As he said, the obsession with going to the gym purely to bulk up and look good is a relatively new thing.

This is true, but then the vast majority of people that go to the gym, go to get in shape. Be it young lads looking to build some muscle, middle aged women looking to burn some fat - all sorts. It's been that way for decades, though admittedly it only became "cool" to be muscular in the late 70s what with the release of the Pumping Iron movie.
Reply 28
That's horrible. Bleugh!
It's far better to be modest and play it down than to be a vain knob.
I get comments from people who haven't seen me in 6 months noticing that in 'bigger' etc but for me I play it all down.
1) I'm tiny, I'm miles away from my goal (but crucially I'm content, like if I had to take my top off I would. I may never reach 'perfection' in my minds eye but I think I'll reach 'very happy' with how I look.

2) It's so vain to draw attention to yourself. As the quote goes (from who I can't remember) 'seek respect, not attention. It lasts longer'

I could go on....

I agree many people these days go too far due to the growth of social media but I didn't like the insinuation from the programme that to train religiously is somehow obsession and fuelled by insecurity/mental issues.
Sure, you must be careful but frankly occasional, sporadic gym going is just lazy. If you don't want to be anything better than mediocre, fine but don't put down those who do work hard and attain very good physiques or whatever else. Just my view...

Sadly so many gyms I have been to and I have been going for over 10 years have had the guys who think they are gods gift to the world because they have muscle, even the women were not that friendly giving me and some friends dirty looks and had quite a few "what are you doing here, you are fat" or "you're not fooling anyone" comments, some direct some muttered under their breath and at the time I was only 2 stone overweight due to a family death and there to lose it.

When I used to go age 18 when I was slim but built a lot like a rugby player I went for 2 hours a day but mostly treadmill, bike, and the machines where you work your leg and arm muscles I wanted to stop being slow and stay skinny rather than be big built

But so many of the guys I know through work/uni all seem to link their muscles directly to how attractive they are and how they are basically tough and everyone who isnt like that is lazy.

I have low self esteem so me going a few hours a week in my circimstances shows more dedication than the guys who spent huge amount of time on their weights its not about how much you put in its more about the individual.
Reply 29
I actually quite enjoyed the programme. I agree with you that the programme was more focusing on the social pressures of men needing to look a certain way. Rather like how women have a pressure to look a certain way which leads them to do extreme things to their bodies, men are having increasingly the same problem. It seemed more fixated on the pressures of looking "good" rather than focusing on "fitness" per se. Reminded me a bit of one of Louis Theroux's documentary and people obsessed with plastic surgery. Personally I would have liked him to interview someone who looks good and has taken steroids just to balance the arguement but don't know about the moral issues the BBC may have with that.

Anways the people he interviewed were (no other way to put it) douchebags yes. But I did find interesting some of the points they brought up. Like that Welsh guy talking about his obsession with gym and wanting respect from his peers. I think many of us can relate to an obsession of hitting their gym goals or wanting to impress others in the gym. I definitely have had some of those issues until I realised whats more important to me is balancing strength, fitness and a good diet. Once I started watching a few Youtube videos of Elliot Hulse (earlier stuff), Candito training etc, you open your eyes as to what a "strong healthy body" is and what we perceive as a "perfect" body. Not the same thing. I think if that Welsh guy actually had a decent training routine he would of looked much better. I would have liked the show to have a message like "focus on strength and building your body before starting to shape it".

In terms of steroids I think it is hard to advocate steroids. Reggie was a bit preachy in that section which annoyed me slightly. The guys selling the steroids made a good point. From their side they were making sure the stuff is safe. Its up to the person to use it responsibly. You think someone who makes alcohol or tabacco thinks "oh its my fault for people suffering from alcoholism or chain smoking"? I personally don't see anything wrong with it with the right amount of education. Something Dave Crosland breifly touched upon. Not pro use or against use, pro education. Ultimately the main reason why steroids is so demonised in the fitness industry is the fact it represents "cheating" and ofcourse money. If any "fitness" guru or Youtube "gymer" admitted to using steroids they would instantly lose a lot of sponsors plus most importantly respect. I think if we were more open to talk about steroids as a society then I think it would actually be less harmful cause at least hopefully kids would be more inclined to learn more about them. I know this will never happen but if more people were open to using steroids this would help ease the pressure young men feel about their bodies. On the other hand they would most likely lose a **** load of money on bull**** body building supplements.

Sorry bro a lot of stuff I have written there but the programme did make me think a lot more about fitness and stuff in general.
[QUOTE=Ryouga;61465177]Sadly so many gyms I have been to and I have been going for over 10 years have had the guys who think they are gods gift to the world because they have muscle, even the women were not that friendly giving me and some friends dirty looks and had quite a few "what are you doing here, you are fat" or "you're not fooling anyone" comments, some direct some muttered under their breath and at the time I was only 2 stone overweight due to a family death and there to lose it.

When I used to go age 18 when I was slim but built a lot like a rugby player I went for 2 hours a day but mostly treadmill, bike, and the machines where you work your leg and arm muscles I wanted to stop being slow and stay skinny rather than be big built

But so many of the guys I know through work/uni all seem to link their muscles directly to how attractive they are and how they are basically tough and everyone who isnt like that is lazy.

I have low self esteem so me going a few hours a week in my circimstances shows more dedication than the guys who spent huge amount of time on their weights its not about how much you put in its more about the individual.

That's not nice. It's a shame you went through that, I would never think that about someone IN a gym. I'd be more likely to view them more positively as they are clearly trying to improve themselves...
Whereas, if I saw them doing nothing, stuffing their face while blaming a 'poor metabolism' I'd be annoyed.

I think everyone feels self-conscience to some degree. Nothing is wrong with hitting the gym occasionally, I just want to achieve my potential (or close to) and I don't want slated for doing so. Personally, I'd never take steroids but I don't mind if some people do. It's personal choice
[QUOTE=k02himur;61466511]I actually quite enjoyed the programme. I agree with you that the programme was more focusing on the social pressures of men needing to look a certain way. Rather like how women have a pressure to look a certain way which leads them to do extreme things to their bodies, men are having increasingly the same problem. It seemed more fixated on the pressures of looking "good" rather than focusing on "fitness" per se. Reminded me a bit of one of Louis Theroux's documentary and people obsessed with plastic surgery. Personally I would have liked him to interview someone who looks good and has taken steroids just to balance the arguement but don't know about the moral issues the BBC may have with that.

Anways the people he interviewed were (no other way to put it) douchebags yes. But I did find interesting some of the points they brought up. Like that Welsh guy talking about his obsession with gym and wanting respect from his peers. I think many of us can relate to an obsession of hitting their gym goals or wanting to impress others in the gym. I definitely have had some of those issues until I realised whats more important to me is balancing strength, fitness and a good diet. Once I started watching a few Youtube videos of Elliot Hulse (earlier stuff), Candito training etc, you open your eyes as to what a "strong healthy body" is and what we perceive as a "perfect" body. Not the same thing. I think if that Welsh guy actually had a decent training routine he would of looked much better. I would have liked the show to have a message like "focus on strength and building your body before starting to shape it".

In terms of steroids I think it is hard to advocate steroids. Reggie was a bit preachy in that section which annoyed me slightly. The guys selling the steroids made a good point. From their side they were making sure the stuff is safe. Its up to the person to use it responsibly. You think someone who makes alcohol or tabacco thinks "oh its my fault for people suffering from alcoholism or chain smoking"? I personally don't see anything wrong with it with the right amount of education. Something Dave Crosland breifly touched upon. Not pro use or against use, pro education. Ultimately the main reason why steroids is so demonised in the fitness industry is the fact it represents "cheating" and ofcourse money. If any "fitness" guru or Youtube "gymer" admitted to using steroids they would instantly lose a lot of sponsors plus most importantly respect. I think if we were more open to talk about steroids as a society then I think it would actually be less harmful cause at least hopefully kids would be more inclined to learn more about them. I know this will never happen but if more people were open to using steroids this would help ease the pressure young men feel about their bodies. On the other hand they would most likely lose a **** load of money on bull**** body building supplements.

Sorry bro a lot of stuff I have written there but the programme did make me think a lot more about fitness and stuff in general.

I do agree with much of this. I just hoped for more tbh.

I agree men have big insecurities now, as a result appearance has become very important. Personally, I think we (as men) on average look quite a bit worse than women (face wise), especially when they can use make up etc.
So to combat this men are improving their bodies. I don't see anything wrong with this tbh but I felt the programme viewed it as 'obsessive'. I mean it is an obsession to an extent but I don't view it as unhealthy as long as you aren't completely fixated by progress (or lack of)... The programme portrayed all those who worked out regularly as obsessed/mental issues.

Fair point. The Welsh guy annoyed me though, didn't count calories, hits gym everyday (well fine but you don't have to do that, it is one training style), training was shocking (7kg DBs!!!), wraps cling film around himself, runs risk of severe dehydration, takes steroids.

What does average Joe think? Any guy with a body like his (which was very mediocre) requires:
Ridiculous lengths to achieve it. Untrue.
Steroids. Untrue.
Obsession. Well kinda but not an unhealthy one.
You have that body due to being single. Untrue.

That's personal preference buddy! Personally I do want to be big (don't like the really stocky look) and ripped but I'd feel healthy with less. I feel decent now and I'm tiny and not very defined. I'm not insecure now but I want much better.

Totally agree with your paragraph on steroids at the end.
Reply 32
Thanks for your reply mate. Tbh I wanted to go on and on about this subject because it interests me greatly. Don’t really want to write one massive essay so was waiting for a response.

Don’t get me wrong I think its important to be motivated to achieve your goals whatever they may be. I get where you coming from. I love the gym and I only see it as a benefit with the right information and mind-set. Fair point, I think it would have been nice for Reggie to interview at least one person who has worked out and gym has benefitted their life just to give it a bit of balance.

I was more under the impression that the documentary tried to link the rise in exposure of the “perfect male physique” within media, with the increase in young males being more self-conscious over their bodies. In that sense I totally agree. Obviously the gym is just a by-product of them wanting the perfect body. I think if Reggie would have shown his progress after his 6 week gym for example, it would have at least given off more of an impression that exercise and fitness is positive. The programme predictably did most of its focus on extremes (makes good tele I guess).

Yeah the Welsh guy was a tool. I think he was just very misguided. I would have liked to ask him where he got his information from. Cause everyone knows that to get a “great physique” (I hate that word btw!) diet is just as if not more important than working out. His training was terrible yes but eating beef jerky as a post work out meal. Lol I just lolled when I saw that. I was more trying to understand the psyche of this guy and many things he said I could empathise with. But his execution was just awful and his idea of a “great physique” was just plain misguided.

Mate that’s a good attitude to have. That’s why I never preach to people what the best training method is cause people have different goals. But I do strongly believe that whatever the goal may be, it’s a good start to first focus on core/strength/full range of motion. Which is why it saddens me to see loads of young guys in my gym who obviously have watched a few Mike Chang videos doing insolation exercises when they haven't developed their body strength as a whole. I was definitely one of them when I was young and foolish!
[QUOTE=k02himur;61468451]Thanks for your reply mate. Tbh I wanted to go on and on about this subject because it interests me greatly. Don’t really want to write one massive essay so was waiting for a response.

Don’t get me wrong I think its important to be motivated to achieve your goals whatever they may be. I get where you coming from. I love the gym and I only see it as a benefit with the right information and mind-set. Fair point, I think it would have been nice for Reggie to interview at least one person who has worked out and gym has benefitted their life just to give it a bit of balance.

I was more under the impression that the documentary tried to link the rise in exposure of the “perfect male physique” within media, with the increase in young males being more self-conscious over their bodies. In that sense I totally agree. Obviously the gym is just a by-product of them wanting the perfect body. I think if Reggie would have shown his progress after his 6 week gym for example, it would have at least given off more of an impression that exercise and fitness is positive. The programme predictably did most of its focus on extremes (makes good tele I guess).

Yeah the Welsh guy was a tool. I think he was just very misguided. I would have liked to ask him where he got his information from. Cause everyone knows that to get a “great physique” (I hate that word btw!) diet is just as if not more important than working out. His training was terrible yes but eating beef jerky as a post work out meal. Lol I just lolled when I saw that. I was more trying to understand the psyche of this guy and many things he said I could empathise with. But his execution was just awful and his idea of a “great physique” was just plain misguided.

Mate that’s a good attitude to have. That’s why I never preach to people what the best training method is cause people have different goals. But I do strongly believe that whatever the goal may be, it’s a good start to first focus on core/strength/full range of motion. Which is why it saddens me to see loads of young guys in my gym who obviously have watched a few Mike Chang videos doing insolation exercises when they haven't developed their body strength as a whole. I was definitely one of them when I was young and foolish!

Feel free.... I usually ramble on and I'm very much a person who writes huge paragraphs so don't worry :smile:

No, I agree. The best part of the documentary was the idea that males are now suffering how females did ie with females it was the size zero craze then it became 'fat acceptance' and now it's somewhere about right but it's a huge thing for women. It's growing rapidly I think for young men. Nobody worked out in my year at secondary school but the year below me had a small group who did. Clever guys too (all at uni) and one admitted he can't get an erection now due to the gear he took, doubt that's perms many but still...

I did wonder as he did get pretty big but hardly 'that' good. Should never have taken them so soon into training and clearly he didn't know how to PCT properly. I mean I don't think I'd ever take them but I at least know the basics and could rattle of few names and what they would do, even quantities to take. I feel it's important to have some knowledge.

So the 'you'll lose sexual function' (which was said on the programme) is a bit of an exaggeration as if you PCT properly and even during the cycle take stuff to combat this problem then it heavily mitigates against that issue.

So it is a huge problem/factor for men 16-25 (and beyond really).

Yeah, good suggestion. Reggie should have showed his improvement (although 6 weeks? I mean the difference might not be that stark. That's what I don't like, people buy into these fad six/eight week diets or training regimes. Isn't going to achieve much, it should be a lifestyle choice. Even hitting the gym once or twice a week, just on the machines plus cardio would do wonders for a skinny fat person. They would improve and look healthy as opposed to blasts of training)

Why do you hate the phrase 'great physique'? Because it's so subjective?

I know, he didn't count calories which was mental. Like how can you expect progress if you eat the same stuff everyday?
To loosely quote Einstein "insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results".

Where was the progressive overloading his training? 7kg Dumbbells? That's just cardio... He knew that though, he was trying to work off 'water weight' which is so stupid.

Yeah, I agree. You live and learn, my training has improved significantly. I keep a log of my progress in terms of weight being lifted (don't care about numbers just want to make sure I'm making progress, it's nice to look at as you forget how weak and small you once were...
And my gains have accelerated from month 3 to basically now of training compared to the start as I know know what I'm doing (always learning but you follow). So we all make mistakes but some people are stupid in their diet and training. Point 2 would be they want the world today, muscle is slow to grow (once grown then it's easier to maintain, even with the odd break -illness, injury or holiday- it remains/very quickly comes back once I train again) so they get frustrated and turn to steroids. So stupid.
On that note... I'm away to the gym haha
(edited 8 years ago)
The big juicy meathead hit the nail on the head. Men are under extreme pressure from social media particularly to achieve perfection. Bombarded with peoples photoshopped and most flattering images
i understand that you want to give your opinion but I'm studying this at A-Level and I find it very interesting. This documentary wasn't about 'interviewing a bunch of idiots' it was giving different audience a chance to learn more about the lifestyle of those who suffer with bigorexia, family members might want to gave a clearer insight on what a relative is going through rather than just listening to doctors. Even doctors might want to watch this so they can have a better understanding so they can sympathise with any victims.
Don't say bad things about the people in this documentary because its people like you who have a negative opinion that causes people to be insecure and want the 'perfect' body xoxo
Original post by positivityrulesx
i understand that you want to give your opinion but I'm studying this at A-Level and I find it very interesting. This documentary wasn't about 'interviewing a bunch of idiots' it was giving different audience a chance to learn more about the lifestyle of those who suffer with bigorexia, family members might want to gave a clearer insight on what a relative is going through rather than just listening to doctors. Even doctors might want to watch this so they can have a better understanding so they can sympathise with any victims.
Don't say bad things about the people in this documentary because its people like you who have a negative opinion that causes people to be insecure and want the 'perfect' body xoxo

Firstly, strong bump. Thread is over a year old.

Secondly, since you're studying this at 'A-level' then maybe you can answer some questions:

So taking steroids irresponsibly isn't stupid? Using drugs as a substitute for hard work and decent diet, in the case of the builder who worked as a stripper, is a good thing?

They were a bunch of idiots. Why? Because the BBC wanted to make sure everyone saw some mentally ill people taking drugs just to look half decent and they also interviewed a monster of a man who was bleeding from his head due to Blood pressure, just to GUARANTEE everyone knew 'steroids = death', 'steroids = the enemy'. Anyone who takes steroids is a meathead/mentally ill freak. That is the message they wanted out loud and clear.

My IQ has definitely fallen having read your post. I'm to blame for the dangerous way people strive for the 'perfect physique'?....Right ok.

Too much tsr for today.

The clue is even in the title of the programme, 'dying for a six pack'. Highlighting these people are willing to die for it, steroids = death. Same message over and over. It's nonsense but it's what the media portray.

Perhaps you need to do some more research about what you're actually talking about mate. Your last point is one of the least supported points i've possibly ever read on here
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest