The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Any advice on accommodtion for those based on the Collegiate Campus?
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Hi, I have a conditional offer to study Real Estate in 2016. I was wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations for en suite accommodation nearish to city campus or any other accommodation advice! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Prodigy Living
Sorry to Jump in Laura/Hannah.

But if anyone has any questions about Fenton House, I'm more than happy to help as well :smile:

Great! Please do chip in about Fenton House as you see fit :biggrin:
Happy Monday all!

Hallam has a huge range of accommodation across the city centre to suit those studying at City Campus and Collegiate Campus. The Forge, Victoria Halls, Devonshire Courtyard and Fenton House are in a great location for students in both campuses as you're a 10 minute walk from Collegiate and City, as well as being placed in two of the biggest student areas in the city. For the last three I mentioned, you'll be right next to Division Street and West Street which are filled with cafes, bars, restaurants and lots of vintage and independent shops. There's a park right outside your door as well as a Tescos and Sainsburys two minutes away. In Freshers week, many students go out to the bars and clubs around West Street too.

In second year, many people choose to stay in halls of residence, but lots of students choose to move into a shared house with a group of friends and lots of these houses are located along Ecclesall Road (where Collegiate Campus is) so if you chose to do this, you could be at uni within minutes. I moved into a house at the top of Ecclesall Road even though I was based at City Campus but it was a quick bus ride or a 20 minute walk into the city centre which was really easy.

Anyway... wherever you choose will be in a good walking distance from the city centre and collegiate so you won't be too far away from anything.

Laura
(Official Hallam rep)
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Great! Please do chip in about Fenton House as you see fit :biggrin:

Thank you! :biggrin: As no one has had any questions just yet, I'll do a quick overview for everyone as Fenton House is about to undergo a complete transformation for 2016/2017!

When our September residents arrive, they'll be welcomed to brand new communal spaces which include; a fully fitted private residents gym, communal lounges with new seating, cinema area, games rooms with next-generation games consoles, and private study areas.

Also, around 80% of the bedrooms will be completely refurbished with brand new beds, mattresses, flooring, and bathrooms. En Suite flats will share a fully modernised kitchen too.

Unfortunately, we don't have any photos just yet. But we do have some photos of our other residences where the transformation has been completed: Lambert & Fairfield House, Aspley House, and Arkwright House.
Reply 25
Some of the accommodation has WI-FI listed however it does not specify what the speed is, is there a way to find out what these speeds are?
Thank you! :biggrin: As no one has had any questions just yet, I'll do a quick overview for everyone as Fenton House is about to undergo a complete transformation for 2016/2017!

When our September residents arrive, they'll be welcomed to brand new communal spaces which include; a fully fitted private residents gym, communal lounges with new seating, cinema area, games rooms with next-generation games consoles, and private study areas.

Also, around 80% of the bedrooms will be completely refurbished with brand new beds, mattresses, flooring, and bathrooms. En Suite flats will share a fully modernised kitchen too.

Unfortunately, we don't have any photos just yet. But we do have some photos of our other residences where the transformation has been completed: Lambert & Fairfield House, Aspley House, and Arkwright House.

I've put Fenton House as my first choice for accommodation and have a few questions.

How many people will share a kitchen? And how many people will be on a floor? Because on the SHU website it says the flats have 4/5 people, which seems a bit small? It's not a problem, just curious really.

Also, do the bedrooms have an ethernet connection in them? If not, how can I connect my games console to the internet?

The pictures from the other residences look great though and hopefully I get a room! Thanks :smile:

EDIT: Also, on the Sheffield Hallam accommodation page it says that the price per week is £109 for 44 weeks, but on your website there isn't an option for that... How much does it actually cost and how do we choose which kind of room we get?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Hi,

I've got an unconditional and accepted last week.

I have narrowed down the accommodation to Victoria Halls and Liberty Court.

I was just wondering if anyone had been to any of these before and could let me know what they thought.

Victoria looked nice but 10 mins away from the station and the uni itself, although i'm not sure whether it'd be better to be closer to the uni or the city itself.

Also with Liberty I have read that some people thought it wasn't very social, is this the case? & Also is walking around to Liberty Works to do your washing a pain? & Do people from that accommodation use the common room at Liberty Works often or not?

Original post by JoeT97
Hi,

I've got an unconditional and accepted last week.

I have narrowed down the accommodation to Victoria Halls and Liberty Court.

I was just wondering if anyone had been to any of these before and could let me know what they thought.

Victoria looked nice but 10 mins away from the station and the uni itself, although i'm not sure whether it'd be better to be closer to the uni or the city itself.

Also with Liberty I have read that some people thought it wasn't very social, is this the case? & Also is walking around to Liberty Works to do your washing a pain? & Do people from that accommodation use the common room at Liberty Works often or not?

Hey Joe,

If you head over to our accommodation page, another TSR member has provided a great list of accommodation that she has visited/experienced during her time at Hallam. You may find it helpful in choosing a place to live.

Thanks,
Laura
(Official Hallam rep)
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hello,

We know that choosing your student accommodation is a BIG DEAL when coming to university and it can be difficult to know which residence you will enjoy the most.

We thought we'd create this thread so you can chat about the accommodation you're applying to and ask any questions you may have.

Hannah and I both stayed in halls at Sheffield Hallam University and are happy to answer any questions about our experiences :smile:

Laura
(Official Sheffield Hallam rep)

Hi i am deferring my uni entry until september 2017 to take a gap year and i was wondering if i needed to apply for accommodation this year or next year???
Original post by williams16
Hi i am deferring my uni entry until september 2017 to take a gap year and i was wondering if i needed to apply for accommodation this year or next year???

Hello! Exciting, how are you spending your gap year?

Accommodation is currently only open for students applying to start in March 2016 and September 2016. If you have deferred your place, we'd recommend checking the website from December this year and we will contact you nearer the time as a reminder.

I hope that's helpful.

Thanks,
Laura
(Official Hallam rep)
Original post by pizzanomics
I've put Fenton House as my first choice for accommodation and have a few questions.

How many people will share a kitchen? And how many people will be on a floor? Because on the SHU website it says the flats have 4/5 people, which seems a bit small? It's not a problem, just curious really.

Also, do the bedrooms have an ethernet connection in them? If not, how can I connect my games console to the internet?

The pictures from the other residences look great though and hopefully I get a room! Thanks :smile:

EDIT: Also, on the Sheffield Hallam accommodation page it says that the price per week is £109 for 44 weeks, but on your website there isn't an option for that... How much does it actually cost and how do we choose which kind of room we get?

Hey Pizza!

Sheffield Hallam allocate a number of 1st year students to live with us each year. So you can choose to book directly through the university, or through the Prodigy Living website.

Unfortunately, when you apply through the university, it's beyond our control who will be living with us as it depends on the number of students who apply to live at Fenton House. If we're your first choice, then hopefully we should be seeing you in September! :smile:

The £109 listed on Sheffield Hallam's accommodation page are for early bookers that apply through the university, and they're for rooms that we aren't able to refurb this year (literally only because the amount of work we're doing means we won't get around to those rooms just yet). You'll still have the same access to everything that the other residents do.

Around 90% of the flats are made up of 4 en suite bedrooms (rest being 5 and 3 bedroom flats), and we have 3 flats to a floor.

Yep, we have ethernet connections in all rooms. But if you're a gamer, you'll love our new games room that's we've got lined up! Floor plan

Let us know when you find out!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hollymcleman
Hi, I have a conditional offer to study Real Estate in 2016. I was wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations for en suite accommodation nearish to city campus or any other accommodation advice! Thanks :smile:

I would recommend The Foundry, its super super close to the campuses and its all brand new and luxury! Rents start from £95per week. You can get 4-8Flats or just a studio for you!!

Hope this helps you!
Hey Pizza!

Sheffield Hallam allocate a number of 1st year students to live with us each year. So you can choose to book directly through the university, or through the Prodigy Living website.

Unfortunately, when you apply through the university, it's beyond our control who will be living with us as it depends on the number of students who apply to live at Fenton House. If we're your first choice, then hopefully we should be seeing you in September! :smile:

The £109 listed on Sheffield Hallam's accommodation page are for early bookers that apply through the university, and they're for rooms that we aren't able to refurb this year (literally only because the amount of work we're doing means we won't get around to those rooms just yet). You'll still have the same access to everything that the other residents do.

Around 90% of the flats are made up of 4 en suite bedrooms (rest being 5 and 3 bedroom flats), and we have 3 flats to a floor.

Yep, we have ethernet connections in all rooms. But if you're a gamer, you'll love our new games room that's we've got lined up! Floor plan

Let us know when you find out!

Ahh okay that all makes sense!

Ah so if there's 3 flats to a floor I'm assuming everybody on a floor gets to know each other so it's like living with 12 people, if that makes sense?

Good to hear about the ethernet connection too, I heard some halls don't have it! Also have you got a higher res picture of the floor plan? I can't read it that well haha.

I'm coming up for an open day on March 12th - will there be rooms to look around? And how much of the new facilities will be done by then to see?

Thanks! :smile:

Another quick edit: When I made my application there was an option to put additional notes, and I asked if I could be put with someone doing a similar course to me - how likely is it that this will happen?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pizzanomics
Ahh okay that all makes sense!

Ah so if there's 3 flats to a floor I'm assuming everybody on a floor gets to know each other so it's like living with 12 people, if that makes sense?

Good to hear about the ethernet connection too, I heard some halls don't have it! Also have you got a higher res picture of the floor plan? I can't read it that well haha.

I'm coming up for an open day on March 12th - will there be rooms to look around? And how much of the new facilities will be done by then to see?

Thanks! :smile:

Another quick edit: When I made my application there was an option to put additional notes, and I asked if I could be put with someone doing a similar course to me - how likely is it that this will happen?

You're more than welcome!

Each flat has it's own communal space/kitchen; so you'll be sharing with 2/3/4 other people (depending on the size). The other flats will have their own space too. We do organise plenty of social events (including a welcome party) which gives you a chance to meet other residents, and we will have a private residents group for confirmed residents to let you to get to know everyone before you arrive.

Could you email us at [email protected], and we'll see if we can send you over a better example of the floor space.

For the open day and living with other people on your course, best people to ask would be our friendly House team at [email protected]. They will know better than us :smile:
I have an unconditional offer for children's nursing and have all my grades etc, however was just wondering when i will receive my offer from accommodation?

I have applied for Charlotte court and Bramall court.

Thank you
Rosie
Original post by RosieMid
I have an unconditional offer for children's nursing and have all my grades etc, however was just wondering when i will receive my offer from accommodation?

I have applied for Charlotte court and Bramall court.

Thank you
Rosie

Hi Rosie, our applicants won't usually hear back about their accommodation offer until mid/late summer. We know the waiting game sucks :frown: we've both had to do it and you just want to know where your new home will be as soon as possible! You will hear from us though, so don't worry :smile:

If you are concerned though, you can call our Accommodation Services on 0114 225 5555.

Thanks,
Laura
Reply 37
Hey!

I'm considering moving into accommodation this september when I start my Adult Nursing course, could you let me know if nurses are grouped together or if they are mixed in with everyone else?
Because someone I work with is going to a different uni in september and she said they group nursing students together because they are more considerate for each other with placements and shift patterns.

Thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Hey, ill be studying in city campus September and was wondering where the best accommodations are if your thinking about located very close to restaurant bars ect but also modern and not too far away to walk to uni? any suggestions?
Reply 39
Any other Sheffielders staying in halls on here? Or anyone whose applied to Central Quay?

Latest

Trending

Trending