The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) Accommodation information and discussion thread

Hello,

We know that choosing your student accommodation is a BIG DEAL when coming to university and it can be difficult to know which residence you will enjoy the most.

We thought we'd create this thread so you can chat about the accommodation you're applying to and ask any questions you may have.

Hannah and I both stayed in halls at Sheffield Hallam University and are happy to answer any questions about our experiences :smile:

Laura
(Official Sheffield Hallam rep)
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hello,

We know that choosing your student accommodation is a BIG DEAL when coming to university and it can be difficult to know which residence you will enjoy the most.

We thought we'd create this thread so you can chat about the accommodation you're applying to and ask any questions you may have.

Hannah and I both stayed in halls at Sheffield Hallam University and are happy to answer any questions about our experiences :smile:

Laura

Can I ask where you stayed?
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Hello!
Of course you can! I chose Leadmill Point for my first year of uni because I couldn't quite afford the dearer residence with en-suite bathrooms. I was a bit dubious before I got there, but I really loved Leadmill Point. My bedroom was quite spacious and was easy to make it feel like home. Leadmill is set around a courtyard and is great for making friends because you chat to people and have a laugh through the windows, and everyone heads out into the courtyard when they're ready to go out at night. It's quite a social place. Even though there were no en-suites when I stayed there, there were two bathrooms for six people so we decided to split it into a male and female bathroom based on who was staying there and it worked fine. It's also in the best location, next to the train station and city campus so nothing is very far away at all.

After Leadmill Point, I stayed at The Forge which I also enjoyed. It's made up into a few different buildings so it has a little less of a community feel but the bedrooms and en-suites were a bit nicer. It’s got a nice communal area with games and sofas and TVs too. All in all, I felt there wasn't much difference between the two. The Forge is a little bit further out, but in a fab location and a 10 minute walk to the city centre. It's on a long street of restaurants, takeaways, supermarkets, international food shops and pubs so there's loads going on up there. I've lived in that area ever since and I think most people who start around there stay in the vicinity.

That was super long winded, sorry. If you've got any more questions about anything I've said, just shout! (Laura)

Ok, over to Hannah!

Hey! I lived in Charlotte Court, which is not too far from The Forge where Laura mentioned. Most of the flats in Charlotte Court had 6 modern rooms, all with an en-suite bathroom and a shared open plan living and kitchen area. Charlotte Court is small in comparison to some of the other accommodation, which I really liked as there was a community feel to the place. I found it really easy to make new friends. It was a 10 minute walk to City campus, and 20 minutes to Collegiate campus, so there was a great mix of people from both living there. With a good sized Asda within 5 minutes walking distance and loads of places to grab abite to eat in the area, it was so convenient as I was new to the city. Charlotte Court wasn’t my first choice when applying for accommodation, but I now couldn’t imagine living anywhere else for my first year in Sheffield! Hope that helps :h:
If you want to know anything more, just ask. (Hannah)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
does charlotte court have wifi please?
Original post by RosieMid
does charlotte court have wifi please?

Hi Rosie,

We can confirm that all our student accommodation have wifi now :smile: wahoo!

If you have any more questions, let us know :smile:

Laura & Hannah
Reply 5
I'm going to study nursing in September 2016. I was wondering what the best accommodation is at SHU especially as I will be at the collegiate campus. Thank you in advanced :smile:
Reply 6
Hey! I'm looking now for accomodation and I'm so happy that the majority seem very nice places! I'm wondering if there are any halls in particular that are known for being the 'social halls'? Or near to great places to go out?:smile: thankyou
Original post by topdot12
I'm going to study nursing in September 2016. I was wondering what the best accommodation is at SHU especially as I will be at the collegiate campus. Thank you in advanced :smile:

Hey topdot12,

As you probably know, there are lots of accommodation to choose from depending on what you're looking for. Some of the closest halls to Collegiate Campus are: The Forge, Fenton House, Devonshire Courtyard and Victoria Halls. Have a look at our map to see where they are located.

Collegiate Campus is only a 20 minute walk (or 5-10 minute bus) from the city centre so you'll never be very far away, wherever you live.

When you reach second year, most people decide to move into a smaller private flat/house with a group of friends and many of these properties will be on Ecclesall Road (where Collegiate Campus is located). It's is a big student area.

We hope that helps :smile:
Laura & Hannah
Reply 8
Hey topdot12,

As you probably know, there are lots of accommodation to choose from depending on what you're looking for. Some of the closest halls to Collegiate Campus are: The Forge, Fenton House, Devonshire Courtyard and Victoria Halls. Have a look at our map to see where they are located.

Collegiate Campus is only a 20 minute walk (or 5-10 minute bus) from the city centre so you'll never be very far away, wherever you live.

When you reach second year, most people decide to move into a smaller private flat/house with a group of friends and many of these properties will be on Ecclesall Road (where Collegiate Campus is located). It's is a big student area.

We hope that helps :smile:
Laura & Hannah

Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 9
Hi,
I've applied for Victoria Hall accommodation, is this a good choice?
Hello,

Laura

i applied for the forge and exchange works and ticked all the boxes in terms of pricing, i didnt put anything in the other comment box, does that matter?
although i wanted a large room than a normal single ensuite.
is there any way i could change this or when i have waited allocation, could it be changed?
Original post by Akuubabes
i applied for the forge and exchange works and ticked all the boxes in terms of pricing, i didnt put anything in the other comment box, does that matter?
although i wanted a large room than a normal single ensuite.
is there any way i could change this or when i have waited allocation, could it be changed?

We're not too sure on this one, ourselves, but if you speak to Accommodation Services directly on 0114 225 4501, they will be able to explain what you can do. Fingers crossed!

If you have any other questions, please do ask.

Thanks,
Laura
Hey topdot12,

We hope that helps
Laura & Hannah

Sorry to Jump in Laura/Hannah.

But if anyone has any questions about Fenton House, I'm more than happy to help as well :smile:
Reply 13
Hi Rosie,

We can confirm that all our student accommodation have wifi now :smile: wahoo!

If you have any more questions, let us know :smile:

Laura & Hannah

Just to double check, charlotte court definitely has inclusive wifi? I've seen posts from as late as october 2015 saying students needed to buy a box themselves?

Also is this halls popular with international students? Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chrlat
Just to double check, charlotte court definitely has inclusive wifi? I've seen posts from as late as october 2015 saying students needed to buy a box themselves?

Also is this halls popular with international students? Thanks!

Hi chrlat,

We've spoken to accommodation services and they told us that all of our halls have accessible wifi now, but if you'd like to give them a call to find out further details for both of your above questions, they'll be more than happy to have a chat with you :h:

Their direct number is 0114 225 4501.

Hope that helps!

Hannah & Laura
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

I'm just looking at accommodation and different residence have different contract lengths. I went on the course I am going to study and if doesn't mention the year length for International Finance and Banking.

How long would the year be ??

Thank you!
When do we find out which accommodation we have been given? :smile:
Original post by emmadeanx
When do we find out which accommodation we have been given? :smile:

Hi,

You'll find out which accommodation you've been allocated as soon as we get confirmation of your grades from UCAS - which is usually in late July or early August depending on when you're results come out.

Hope that helps :tongue:

Hannah
Original post by alh1102
Hey! I'm looking now for accomodation and I'm so happy that the majority seem very nice places! I'm wondering if there are any halls in particular that are known for being the 'social halls'? Or near to great places to go out?:smile: thankyou

Hey

Yeyy, we're glad you like the look of our accommodation options - we think they're great too! :u:

As you'll see from our map Charlotte Court, Bramall Court, Central Quay and The Pinnacles are probably the furthest away from the city centre but they are only a 20 minute walk away or a 5 minute taxi ride if you're going out. Many of our other residences are even closer, but most of the accommodation choices have a great social vibe to them wherever you choose to live. I lived in Charlotte Court and it was great!

If there's anything else you want to know, Laura and I are happy to answer your questions. :smile:

Hannah
Original post by NoorNylla
Hi,

I'm just looking at accommodation and different residence have different contract lengths. I went on the course I am going to study and if doesn't mention the year length for International Finance and Banking.

How long would the year be ??

Thank you!

Hi,

This link shows you the different contract lengths which you may have already seen.

I'm also giving you the link to the academic teaching calendar on our website for this year (15/16) so don't take it as exact dates as they will change for the year you come to study with us. However, it will give you an idea of how long you'll be needing your accommodation for. By my count, including exam weeks and holidays, as long as your contract length is longer than 35 weeks (I think most are!) then you'll be fine :smile:

Is that helpful?

Hannah

Latest

Trending

Trending