The Student Room Group

Choosing the most suitable A-Levels

Right hello everyone, I'm in Year 11 right now and honestly I kinda have an idea of what I want to pick at A-Level but it's not concrete within me, and since no one I know really wants to go into the same field as me, I'm not sure what would be best. I want to go into Computer Science in the future, preferably at a reputable university (idk any good uni's either, but I got a little longer to decide that ay), and I'd like to know what uni's would want. I've checked on a couple of websites and they say Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths, and whatever.

I'll get an A* in CS and Maths at the end of Year 11 if all goes well, and my school is still deciding whether to enter us or not for Further Maths, due to the lack of interest.
I've asked some current Year 13s in my school and a couple of them said that I should pick the ones I mentioned earlier and an easier subject. The subjects that I am gliding around are: CS, Maths, FM, English Lit/Lang, and Physics.

I think the way it works is that I pick four of those and drop 1 after my first year, right?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Original post by zanner
Right hello everyone, I'm in Year 11 right now and honestly I kinda have an idea of what I want to pick at A-Level but it's not concrete within me, and since no one I know really wants to go into the same field as me, I'm not sure what would be best. I want to go into Computer Science in the future, preferably at a reputable university (idk any good uni's either, but I got a little longer to decide that ay), and I'd like to know what uni's would want. I've checked on a couple of websites and they say Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths, and whatever.

I'll get an A* in CS and Maths at the end of Year 11 if all goes well, and my school is still deciding whether to enter us or not for Further Maths, due to the lack of interest.
I've asked some current Year 13s in my school and a couple of them said that I should pick the ones I mentioned earlier and an easier subject. The subjects that I am gliding around are: CS, Maths, FM, English Lit/Lang, and Physics.

I think the way it works is that I pick four of those and drop 1 after my first year, right?

So, you want to go into computer science. A computing A Level and maths A level are definitely going to be required.

If you can't do FM, I would go for Physics because there is a huge maths element in it, and it leaves your options open in case you change your mind about computing later on.

Choosing English wouldn't really help you, although it is a very respectable A level to most uni's.
Original post by zanner

Only pick an easier subject if you won't be able to get a good grade in all four, because another well recognised option could give you a better range of university courses.

I discourage the option of Eng Lit/Lang, because it's not related to computer science at all.

If you have the ability to do so, I suggest you take:
-Computer Science
-Maths
-Physics
-Further Maths

On a final note, physics will prove to be more useful than further maths.
Original post by zanner

Yeah I would go for Maths, CS, FM and Physics, try to learn as much out of school as you can about computer science as this will make you stand out (perhaps do an independent project to show what you have learned). Also start looking early (now!) at Universities, their web pages will give you an idea of what the absolutely require and what they find desirable. This sort of prep is needed to get into the very top unis. Good luck!
I've chosen to do Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry. The first 3 definitely compliment each other, and Chemistry blends in with the formulae with atomic masses. Doing these 4 subjects will allow me to do Maths, Physics, Medicine, Chemistry, Computer Science or Dentistry at University, so if you can do FM, strongly advise, especially if you're good at Maths. :smile:

For you, I'd go Maths, Physics, Computing and then FM if you can, but then drop Physics or FM depending on which you find the hardest. For me, I find coding hard so I'm not taking Computing, but if you're getting A*s, good on you. Good luck, and I hope I've helped. :smile:
Original post by Jagraj16
I've chosen to do Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry. The first 3 definitely compliment each other, and Chemistry blends in with the formulae with atomic masses. Doing these 4 subjects will allow me to do Maths, Physics, Medicine, Chemistry, Computer Science or Dentistry at University, so if you can do FM, strongly advise, especially if you're good at Maths. :smile:

For you, I'd go Maths, Physics, Computing and then FM if you can, but then drop Physics or FM depending on which you find the hardest. For me, I find coding hard so I'm not taking Computing, but if you're getting A*s, good on you. Good luck, and I hope I've helped. :smile:

Medicine? Shouldn't you have Biology for that?
Reply 6
Thanks everyone! It seems Maths, CS, Physics, and FM would be most appropriate for me judging off everyone's opinion, I really do appreciate everyone's input. It puts me at ease knowing that I wasn't too far off with what to pick.

Original post by Neurosci
perhaps do an independent project to show what you have learned

This is actually a good idea, thanks :smile: I've made lots of small projects before and maybe it's time to commit to a slightly bigger one haha.

Original post by Mayhem™
Only pick an easier subject if you won't be able to get a good grade in all four, because another well recognised option could give you a better range of university courses.

I discourage the option of Eng Lit/Lang, because it's not related to computer science at all.

I understand, I think I'll be able to do 4 of the aforementioned subjects. Once again, thank you for the support. It seems English is being thrown out the window lol

Original post by Jagraj16

Maths isn't my best subject but it's definitely up there (after CS and English perhaps). I got you, drop the subject I find hardest :tongue:. Coding is one of my most favourite things to do so I think taking CS at A-Level would be best. Good luck to you too, and thanks again.

Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
So, you want to go into computer science. A computing A Level and maths A level are definitely going to be required.

If you can't do FM, I would go for Physics because there is a huge maths element in it, and it leaves your options open in case you change your mind about computing later on.

Choosing English wouldn't really help you, although it is a very respectable A level to most uni's.

My Physics teacher said the same thing, he said it's best to keep my options open just in case I have a change of heart, so it's best to be prepared. Thank you!
Original post by Kholmes1

It's 2 science subjects at some unis, Maths AND Physics being classed as a science.

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/course/medicine-mbbch
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kholmes1

No, because some Universities, even top ones, don't mind you not having Biology as one of your subjects. Its because they're all STEM subjects, so you can do other STEM courses if you have subjects which link to them. :smile: But in the end, it comes down to the University's course requirements which are found on their website. Some require Biology, some don't, and some value Chemistry higher than Biology. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest