The Student Room Group

Should I drop Chemistry AS?

So I'm thinking about dropping chemistry to concentrate on my other three AS Levels. I study Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and ICT and I want to study Biological Sciences at University. The universities that I'm interested in (Cardiff, Liverpool, Warwick) either don't require chemistry as part of their offer or accept psychology as a second science to their offer. Should I drop chemistry? Thanks.
Original post by AndrewKn0x
So I'm thinking about dropping chemistry to concentrate on my other three AS Levels. I study Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and ICT and I want to study Biological Sciences at University. The universities that I'm interested in (Cardiff, Liverpool, Warwick) either don't require chemistry as part of their offer or accept psychology as a second science to their offer. Should I drop chemistry? Thanks.

Hi! Personally (as a further chemistry student) it is a really rewarding course especially for party trick knowledge :wink: equally, it'd be useful for your course, and would help your application. I'd consider this before dropping it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by redwhiteandbrit
Hi! Personally (as a further chemistry student) it is a really rewarding course especially for party trick knowledge :wink: equally, it'd be useful for your course, and would help your application. I'd consider this before dropping it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is what I'm afraid about, if I drop it there's no going back and I'm afraid that I won't have a good chance of getting into the university of my choice to study biology. I do find it difficult, but manageable (I think). Past paper exam questions are killers though! Have you got any advice on succeeding in chemistry? I think my predicted grade for AS is a B?
Reply 3
It's not a requirement but it's preferable. Studying biological sciences at university has a significant portion of chemistry/biochemistry. If you're doing fine in chemistry I'd recommend you don't drop it, or at least get an AS in it. Of course if you feel dropping it would be better for you then that's what you should do :smile:
Thou shalt not leave the STEM race. You will continue on with Chemistry until the end of time!
Reply 5
All I can say is biological sciences must be a bit crap if they don't need chemistry. Psychology is nothing like chemistry.
Reply 6
Original post by HRR
It's not a requirement but it's preferable. Studying biological sciences at university has a significant portion of chemistry/biochemistry. If you're doing fine in chemistry I'd recommend you don't drop it, or at least get an AS in it. Of course if you feel dropping it would be better for you then that's what you should do :smile:

I think I should just carry it on lol. I'm just worried I won't do as well in my AS' if I carry it on as it's very demanding. I have been working from the very start of the year, but I have been slacking with chemistry and I'm having to catch up in the holidays which sucks.
Reply 7
I think I should just carry it on lol. I'm just worried I won't do as well in my AS' if I carry it on as it's very demanding. I have been working from the very start of the year, but I have been slacking with chemistry and I'm having to catch up in the holidays which sucks.

I know what it feels like. The first time I did my AS levels I completely failed chemistry. One year later and I'm applying to study it at university. It IS a very demanding subject, but that's why it's highly respected.

Work hard during these holidays, then do a bit every day during term time. If you can do this consistently there's a very good chance you'll find it's much more manageable.

Failing that, maybe you should look at HOW you're revising. Maybe it's not the amount of time spent working but how you're spending that time that could be giving you difficulty.
Reply 8
Original post by HRR
I know what it feels like. The first time I did my AS levels I completely failed chemistry. One year later and I'm applying to study it at university. It IS a very demanding subject, but that's why it's highly respected.

Work hard during these holidays, then do a bit every day during term time. If you can do this consistently there's a very good chance you'll find it's much more manageable.

Failing that, maybe you should look at HOW you're revising. Maybe it's not the amount of time spent working but how you're spending that time that could be giving you difficulty.

I revise using flashcards for chemistry (for the bits that need to be memorised) and questions really. It's definitely the amount I spend on it, we haven't done any mocks so I have no idea what grade I'm working on so I feel a bit lost when I'm working towards it because I have no idea if it's actually going towards something, if you understand what I mean?
Reply 9
Why do you want to drop it? if you are really not enjoying it then thats probably best. If you just feel overwhelmed with the amount of work then dropping psychology or ICT seems like the best option, seeing as they are the least relevant to the course you want to do.
Reply 10
Original post by GO97
Why do you want to drop it? if you are really not enjoying it then thats probably best. If you just feel overwhelmed with the amount of work then dropping psychology or ICT seems like the best option, seeing as they are the least relevant to the course you want to do.

I want to drop it because psychology counts as a science so if I dropped chemistry, I would meet the offer of 'biology and a second science'. Universities like Cardiff, Liverpool, Warwick and Keele all accept psychology as a second science or don't require any other science accept for biology as part of their offer. This resulted in me being demotivated and I slacked with chemistry so I fell behind in the work and I'm having to catch up now. It's also one of the most intense and busy subjects yet it seems so bland to study plus some aspects are quite difficult! Not saying this is a bad thing because you obviously get the hang of chemistry by going through past papers.
Reply 11
I've said this before and I will say it again. Don't spend everyday doing work during this holiday. You need a break to relax or you will suffer from burnout - so do anything but work and have a bit of a life. If you really want to, do a little bit the week before you go back, recap some topics probably. I'm an A2 student, followed my pattern above and came out with AABC at AS(grades I was happy with, despite dropping c-graded chemistry!)

Back to chemistry, its a tough subject and you will either get some concepts or you just won't. Go over them as much as you can and try and stick it out and if you want, drop it after AS. For courses like Biomed/Biological sci, it is true that quite a few uni's don't need chemistry (mainly Biology and another science), however like someone said above, there will be some Chem based modules and if you do chemistry at least to AS, it will benefit you. Sometimes uni's may consider you more if you have chemistry at least at AS, even if it isnt in their requirements
Reply 12
I want to drop it because psychology counts as a science so if I dropped chemistry, I would meet the offer of 'biology and a second science'. Universities like Cardiff, Liverpool, Warwick and Keele all accept psychology as a second science or don't require any other science accept for biology as part of their offer. This resulted in me being demotivated and I slacked with chemistry so I fell behind in the work and I'm having to catch up now. It's also one of the most intense and busy subjects yet it seems so bland to study plus some aspects are quite difficult! Not saying this is a bad thing because you obviously get the hang of chemistry by going through past papers.

Sounds like you are not enjoying chemistry and finding it too difficult. dropping it may be the best option in your case but remember that chemistry will prepare you a lot better for studying biological sciences compared to psychology or ICT.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by GO97
Sounds like you are not enjoying chemistry and finding it too difficult. dropping it may be the best option in your case but remember that chemistry will prepare you a lot better for studying biological sciences compared to psychology or ICT.

The concepts are okay, it's just applying them to exam questions is where I'm stuck! Things like calculations make my heard hurt (I'm not great at maths).
Reply 14
The concepts are okay, it's just applying them to exam questions is where I'm stuck! Things like calculations make my heard hurt (I'm not great at maths).

How much exam practise have you had? Getting the exam technique is crucial. I could be wrong but i think you have just started exam questions recently and you are finding the application questions hard because you only get better at those with practise.
Reply 15
Original post by GO97
How much exam practise have you had? Getting the exam technique is crucial. I could be wrong but i think you have just started exam questions recently and you are finding the application questions hard because you only get better at those with practise.

We've had quite a bit but as homework.
Reply 16
Original post by Fuego1
I've said this before and I will say it again. Don't spend everyday doing work during this holiday. You need a break to relax or you will suffer from burnout - so do anything but work and have a bit of a life. If you really want to, do a little bit the week before you go back, recap some topics probably. I'm an A2 student, followed my pattern above and came out with AABC at AS(grades I was happy with, despite dropping c-graded chemistry!)

Back to chemistry, its a tough subject and you will either get some concepts or you just won't. Go over them as much as you can and try and stick it out and if you want, drop it after AS. For courses like Biomed/Biological sci, it is true that quite a few uni's don't need chemistry (mainly Biology and another science), however like someone said above, there will be some Chem based modules and if you do chemistry at least to AS, it will benefit you. Sometimes uni's may consider you more if you have chemistry at least at AS, even if it isnt in their requirements

I'm having a week off doing nothing but eating lol. No you're right on this one. Yes it's tough but the thing is the concepts aren't that difficult, it's just applying the concepts is what's difficult and it's so easy to make stupid mistakes. However, some biology students have said that the chemistry involved is relatively simple and that people who didn't do chemistry at A-Level pass the modules fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
We've had quite a bit but as homework.

well no one just gets application questions at the start of AS, its after plenty of practise with such questions that you start to get a grip of what is being asked. This would be especially the case for chemistry because it has the biggest step up from GCSE to A Level. Just keep working at it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest