The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to measure the quality of a university by their entry requirements?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zweihander

Some of the unis with highest percentage of international students are LSE (40% :O), Imperial, UCL, St Andrews, City and Essex, so their "true" average UCAS score would be lower than what what you see on the league tables.

On this topic, is there anything that stops a university from giving offers to international students, i.e. can a university have like 90% international students?
There is a correlation tbh and we all do it :wink:
Original post by meediaabid
I do the same, and to be fair, they correspond with the 2015 League Tables, Cambridge generally having higher entry requirements on all its subjects than say, Manchester is also higher up. But this is just for general measure, there are definitely universities that shouldn't be measured by their entry requirements such as KCL/UCL.

Sidenote: incase people get the wrong idea about my statement on KCL and UCL, I was referring to the fact that despite KCL being a little more prestigious and harder to get into than UCL, its lower ranked in the league tables.

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

Sorry?
Reply 23
The grades they ask for aren't a great differentiator at the top levels (for instance Oxbridge will often ask for only A*AA for many subjects, the same as many RG unis) although if there is a big disparity then this will generally reflect a big disparity in quality of the universities. If a uni wants CCD it's probably not going to be anywhere near as a good as a uni that wants AAA.
The UCAS point aggregate, used by The Complete University Guide for instance, certainly isn't perfect either, as UCAS points can include random stuff like music grades, and suggest that a 4A* student is necessarily better than a 3A* student by a pretty big points margin even though people may focus on 3 to assure they meet their offer despite being capable of 4 (perhaps the extra points should be less for four plus A levels)
Original post by meediaabid
I do the same, and to be fair, they correspond with the 2015 League Tables, Cambridge generally having higher entry requirements on all its subjects than say, Manchester is also higher up. But this is just for general measure, there are definitely universities that shouldn't be measured by their entry requirements such as KCL/UCL.

Sidenote: incase people get the wrong idea about my statement on KCL and UCL, I was referring to the fact that despite KCL being a little more prestigious and harder to get into than UCL, its lower ranked in the league tables.

What?
Original post by gagafacea1
To be honest, that's how I measure it. I look at the entry requirements, the higher they are, the better the university. Although I'm starting to think that's not such a good thing, but why? Anybody else out there uses the same method? What affects the entry requirements of a certain university? Just popularity?

I think this method would only work if you compared the end results and entry criteria. If two universities get the same number of firsts and 2:1s but one has significantly lower entry criteria that one is the better uni as they've taken students performing initially worse academically and gotten them to the same standards as one with higher entry requirements.
It's a useful rule of thumb and actually probably more accurate than scrutinising league tables. It's an indicator of demand for the course and importantly it's an indicator of the calibre of students that will be on your course. That is important in its own right as having better and more motivated students around you is a better work environment, but it also means that the university can make the curriculum a bit more advanced when they know they have high calibre students. And most important of all, they will send high quality graduates out in to the job market.

When people talk about 'what universities appeal to employers' really the employers are not bothered about league tables or research ratings but the calibre of graduate those universities churn out. The reason some fields have 'target universities' is this is a safe bet for recruiters that cuts down on risk. If someone comes out of Oxbridge with a 1st or 2:1 then you can make a few assumptions about them: they were good enough to get in, they could handle the workload and a pressurised environment.

When I went to Leeds they were wanting AAA for economics which raised a few eyebrows on TSR at the time, I remember always having to put up with people moaning on the economics forum about Leeds being overrated and so on, but the by product of this was we had a strong cohort of students and a lot of my peers have gone on and done well working in various different jobs. Now it's been 8 years since we graduated you can see some have gone on to pretty impressive senior positions, they aren't riding off the name of Leeds they are just good calibre people. Over time that is going to inflate the reputation of Leeds in employers' minds because they will be familiar with seeing good graduates who have come out of Leeds and done well with them before.
Original post by gagafacea1
To be honest, that's how I measure it. I look at the entry requirements, the higher they are, the better the university. Although I'm starting to think that's not such a good thing, but why? Anybody else out there uses the same method? What affects the entry requirements of a certain university? Just popularity?

Well, I would say that's a good way of measuring the quality of students at a certain university.

But it doesn't tell you about how good the university actually is at teaching etc.

But I imagine that entry requirements will correlate pretty well to the "reputation" of a university.
Guys I see a difference of opinion from my post but please stop quoting it, actually try answer the question from the thread starter - the notifications are extremely annoying!
Original post by MagicNMedicine
It's a useful rule of thumb and actually probably more accurate than scrutinising league tables. It's an indicator of demand for the course and importantly it's an indicator of the calibre of students that will be on your course. That is important in its own right as having better and more motivated students around you is a better work environment, but it also means that the university can make the curriculum a bit more advanced when they know they have high calibre students. And most important of all, they will send high quality graduates out in to the job market.

When people talk about 'what universities appeal to employers' really the employers are not bothered about league tables or research ratings but the calibre of graduate those universities churn out. The reason some fields have 'target universities' is this is a safe bet for recruiters that cuts down on risk. If someone comes out of Oxbridge with a 1st or 2:1 then you can make a few assumptions about them: they were good enough to get in, they could handle the workload and a pressurised environment.

When I went to Leeds they were wanting AAA for economics which raised a few eyebrows on TSR at the time, I remember always having to put up with people moaning on the economics forum about Leeds being overrated and so on, but the by product of this was we had a strong cohort of students and a lot of my peers have gone on and done well working in various different jobs. Now it's been 8 years since we graduated you can see some have gone on to pretty impressive senior positions, they aren't riding off the name of Leeds they are just good calibre people. Over time that is going to inflate the reputation of Leeds in employers' minds because they will be familiar with seeing good graduates who have come out of Leeds and done well with them before.

THIS ^^^^^^^^

I swear we need to plaster this everywhere, I'm sick and tired of people creating comparison threads about how much 'respect' institutions by themselves (often very similar) have amongst employers.

Also tired of people using average graduate salary achieved to benchmark what they'll be on (even before stepping foot into the uni/knowing the careers that pay that much).

Entry reqs on a macro level AAA vs BBC are good indicators, yeah. But on a closer horizon AAB vs AAA or A*AA vs AAA, other factors need to be taken into account.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Not really a good way to do it.

A uni may take 150 students for a course while the others may take 280. It is obvious which one will find it easier to fill its quota.l, even if the number of applicants is identical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rather worried that so many people think this. Entry requirements absolutely do not indicate quality; they're a marker of popularity, nothing more. Universities become popular for all sorts of reasons, not all of them good; I remember a lot of people suddenly applied to Bristol in 2009 because of the TV show Skins. :facepalm2:
Reply 32
My university had grade requirements of ABB and a B in maths for my course. I got in with less than that and - through clearing! Which is perhaps embarrassing. On the other hand, in 2014, only 7% of graduates from my course were unemployed after 6 months. I don't really have much to compare with but I think the course is ok and the staff are supportive. I do feel like I should generally have had more contact hours. So yh, not sure what the entry requirements say really...
There are also other things you should consider to judge the quality, which have perhaps already been mentioned (I haven't read most of the comments), such as the city, the atmosphere, the social aspect etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MagicNMedicine

+ 1 for this

because I need to stay at home I may end up going to a uni with very easy entry requirements and this is my major concern: that it will be full of either dossers or those less capable (i'm no genius myself but I study hard and hate when things move slow)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending