The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry January 2016 (18th)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
do

do you know why it is initially white smh?

copper sulfate is meant to be a blue salt because of the water formed alongside it when copper hydroxide reacts with sulfuric acid.
cu(oh)2 + h2so4 ----> cuso4 + h2o

but if you heat it, the water of crystallisation disappears which turns it from blue to white.

cus04.5h2o ---> cuso4

Because the water has been removed, it is called anydrous (without water).. but if you add water again it turns from white to blue again.(hydrous or hydrated)
cuso4 + h2o-----> cuso4.5h20

So anhydrous copper sullfare is white and if you add water it becomes hydrated therefore it turns blue
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by danr2
copper sulfate is meant to be a blue salt because of the water formed alongside it when copper hydroxide reacts with sulfuric acid.

but if you heat it, the water of crystallisation disappears which turns it from blue to white.

cus04.5h2o ---> cuso4

Because the water has been removed, it is called anydrous (without water).. but if you add water again it turns from white to blue again.(hydrous or hydrated)

So anhydrous copper sullfare is white and if you add water it becomes hydrated therefore it turns blue

Right yes!

I see thank you that makes sense.
Reply 82
Miheal r u a boy or girl?
Original post by Z.sami
Miheal r u a boy or girl?

please quote I dont get it otherwise lol.

And girl Lol
Original post by danr2

cus04.5h2o ---> cuso4

Can you do http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20GCSE/Chemistry/2009/Exam%20materials/4CH0_1C_que_20130114.pdf

Question 7 c please, I don't know what to do after working out the number of moles.
Reply 85
Can you do http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20GCSE/Chemistry/2009/Exam%20materials/4CH0_1C_que_20130114.pdf

Question 7 c please, I don't know what to do after working out the number of moles.

i think you will have to find the relative formula mass of PbCO3 and you'll have to find how many times the rfm goes into the 500g of pbco3.if you multiply that by 207g of lead it should give you the answer
Reply 86
500g * 207g/ 273g = 379g

but it doesn't look right haha
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 87
oh no wait.. you divide it by 267g instead which will give you 387.64g
Original post by danr2
i think you will have to find the relative formula mass of PbCO3 and you'll have to find how many times the rfm goes into the 500g of pbco3.if you multiply that by 207g of lead it should give you the answer

Thanks but what about the molar ratio, isn't it in the ratio 1:2?
Reply 89
Thanks but what about the molar ratio, isn't it in the ratio 1:2?

you mean the molar ratio between the 500g and the 267g?
Reply 91

its the second process reaction 1 write hte formula down and calculate the mass
Reply 92
exam is very very very soon but i dont know what to revise. just wasting time. shower and etc. do u guys have any final tip or revision i should do to get an a or a star. really stuck dont know what to study
Reply 93
i know every topic and everything now. but in the exam i somehow make loads of silly mistakes. by the way when exams finished tell us how it went. and the answers u got for each question so we can compare them. also when ur results come let us know. plz i cant wait. i need a star. but silly mistakes all the time letting me down getting me 93 out of120 and 43 out of 60. by the way what do u think the grade boundaries gonna be. i have a feeling that ill be just a few marks away from an a star.
Reply 94
Original post by Z.sami
exam is very very very soon but i dont know what to revise. just wasting time. shower and etc. do u guys have any final tip or revision i should do to get an a or a star. really stuck dont know what to study

haha me too.. i really don't know what to do but i feel like there's something i haven't done... i think i should go through all the spec
Reply 95
till what time r u guys gonna be awake and study.
Reply 96
Original post by Z.sami
i know every topic and everything now. but in the exam i somehow make loads of silly mistakes. by the way when exams finished tell us how it went. and the answers u got for each question so we can compare them. also when ur results come let us know. plz i cant wait. i need a star. but silly mistakes all the time letting me down getting me 93 out of120 and 43 out of 60. by the way what do u think the grade boundaries gonna be. i have a feeling that ill be just a few marks away from an a star.

145 for a*
Original post by danr2
145 for a*

is 145 for an a star guaranteed?
Reply 98
is 145 for an a star guaranteed?

yes!!:biggrin: but i might be wrong

have you done jan 2015? i am about to do it haha.. let's do it together if you haven't done it yet:colondollar:
Original post by danr2
yes!!:biggrin: but i might be wrong

have you done jan 2015? i am about to do it haha.. let's do it together if you haven't done it yet:colondollar:

Thanks.

I think I have already done it lol.

Doing Jun 2013 UK paper atm.

Organic is fine, happy exam is in afternoon, can prep more in morning.

Do you know the big topics that are not in paper 1 as in only in paper 2, so I can avoid them :smile:

Least Volatile = Highest boiling point lol.

Still dont get how that works, last question of Jan 2013

Quick Reply

Latest