The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
paymaster
have you got the heinemann's revision guide? The amount of knowledge needed is fairly limited. To get the A, you need to be able to handle the sources properly - do the little tricks like use one quote in your intro, one in the conclusion etc.

I'm hoping propaganda will come up, as it hasn't done before!

I need my A in history.... haven't even thought about friday, just worrying about monday!

I'm with you on the worrying about Monday thing!

I'm sure propaganda's come up before! I'll check my giant catalogue of past papers for that. I do remember answering a question about Goebells (Head of Ministry for Propaganda and Public Enlightenment) on my mock, thats for sure.
Reply 21
kingslaw
I'm with you on the worrying about Monday thing!

I'm sure propaganda's come up before! I'll check my giant catalogue of past papers for that. I do remember answering a question about Goebells (Head of Ministry for Propaganda and Public Enlightenment) on my mock, thats for sure.

Yeah, I know there is one in the revision guide about goebbels. I know himmler's come up as a personality (question a) in the real thing, I didn't think goebbels was the other one.
Reply 22
Only one I'm doing is Unit 6, Hitler and the Nazi State (the synoptic).
Reply 23
noone doing the same as me

unit 5 the state and poor in britain 1830-1939
unit 6 life after lenin 1924-41
I've got:

Unit 4: Containment of Communism in S.E. Asia (Vietnam)
Unit 5: Britain & Decolonisation
Unit 6: Nazi Germany/Hitler...

Kinda of worried, but i only need a B in this, although i am quite prepared.. well sort of lol...
Leekey
For some reason.... :rolleyes:

U5 - Britain and Decolonisation
U6 - Hitler and the Nazi State

What have you revised for U5? Or what are the significant events you've got? Do you think the question (c) will be on India or Africa this year?
Reply 26
Specialheffa
What have you revised for U5? Or what are the significant events you've got? Do you think the question (c) will be on India or Africa this year?

Revised?!? :confused: :biggrin: I don't plan on doing any preperation (don't need History but CANNOT fail to meet grades in any of my other subject therefore not prepared at all). If however I were palnning to do some then I would concentrate on WW1, Suez and WW2 as turning points (don't think the others will come up TBH) and revise strategic reasons for colonisation and decolonisation in addition to the rise of nationalist movements. You are aware that there are only 2 questions on this paper yes....part c?!? :confused: :smile:
Reply 27
Has anyone got any revision tips for Units 4/5? I just seem to be memorising lists of facts...
I'm doing..

The Revolt of The Netherlands

The Ascendancy of France (1589-1715)

The Mid-Tudor Crisis (synoptic)

I'm finding them 2be the most boring modules ever.. i would much prefer if my school had thrown in a MODERN history module in replacement of one/more of them. I envy people studying Nazi Germany, it's much more interesting.

I wanna get an A in history but i'm struggling with the vast amount of information in the Ascendancy of France module, so i think a B's looking more likely.. mc_remedi, how are u revising unit 5?
C/W: Cromwell
Unit 5: Fascist Italy (makes a change from Nazi Germany!)
Synoptic: Mid-Tudor Crisis (or arguable lack of one)
Reply 30
slowjamz
Has anyone got any revision tips for Units 4/5? I just seem to be memorising lists of facts...

What I've done is try and think of all the possible questions that can be answered, and then put them into broader questions. For example, I'm doing Containing Communism in Asia, so the questions I have got are 'Why did the US intervene in South Korea?', 'What were the Consequences of Intervening in South Korea', 'Why did the US Intervene in Vietnam?', 'Was it Johnsons War?', 'Why did the US Escalate in Vietnam?', and 'What Pressures Influenced Nixon in his policy towards Vietnam?'.

I then went through all my notes and wrote all the possible answers and elements of answers for that question. With each bit of analysis I'd just back it up with one fact or piece of evidence (instead of trying to memorise 100s of quotes and dates) which proves your point. For example, I'd say:

"The public protest agains the war in the US affected Nixons policy [STATEMENT]. This is demonstrated by the fact that on the eve of a big anti-war protest in Washington, he withdrew 30,000 troops from Vietnam [EVIDENCE]. Also, in order to disintegrate the anti-war movement, Nixon changed the rules regarding militiary drafting so less male college students would be selected - who were a significant part of the movement [EVIDENCE]. Nixon would not have done this if he was not concerned about public opinion [ANALYSIS]."

This is how our teacher said we should revise.
Reply 31
kingslaw
What I've done is try and think of all the possible questions that can be answered, and then put them into broader questions. For example, I'm doing Containing Communism in Asia, so the questions I have got are 'Why did the US intervene in South Korea?', 'What were the Consequences of Intervening in South Korea', 'Why did the US Intervene in Vietnam?', 'Was it Johnsons War?', 'Why did the US Escalate in Vietnam?', and 'What Pressures Influenced Nixon in his policy towards Vietnam?'.

I then went through all my notes and wrote all the possible answers and elements of answers for that question. With each bit of analysis I'd just back it up with one fact or piece of evidence (instead of trying to memorise 100s of quotes and dates) which proves your point. For example, I'd say:

"The public protest agains the war in the US affected Nixons policy [STATEMENT]. This is demonstrated by the fact that on the eve of a big anti-war protest in Washington, he withdrew 30,000 troops from Vietnam [EVIDENCE]. Also, in order to disintegrate the anti-war movement, Nixon changed the rules regarding militiary drafting so less male college students would be selected - who were a significant part of the movement [EVIDENCE]. Nixon would not have done this if he was not concerned about public opinion [ANALYSIS]."

This is how our teacher said we should revise.

That is a huge help, I really need to get an A on this and I was concerned I wasn't getting anywhere with revision, so I'll give this a go. Thanks so much :smile:
Leekey
Revised?!? :confused: :biggrin: I don't plan on doing any preperation (don't need History but CANNOT fail to meet grades in any of my other subject therefore not prepared at all). If however I were palnning to do some then I would concentrate on WW1, Suez and WW2 as turning points (don't think the others will come up TBH) and revise strategic reasons for colonisation and decolonisation in addition to the rise of nationalist movements. You are aware that there are only 2 questions on this paper yes....part c?!? :confused: :smile:

Well that's the thing, i've done question paper from last year which only had parts a) and b), but i think (my teacher gave us) a new set-up is being used, part a,b and c... part b would be the old a and c the old b. a) is an easy question on two out of three sources.. gonna confirm with edexcel
Reply 33
slowjamz
That is a huge help, I really need to get an A on this and I was concerned I wasn't getting anywhere with revision, so I'll give this a go. Thanks so much :smile:

Is your exam monday slowjamz?
My teacher is officially a waste of space and shouldn't be allowed to teach EVER!!

Telling the wrong design of exam question, and the new one used by edexcel is parts a) 20 marks and b) 40 marks..

Soz leekey...
kingslaw

I think the question will be directed towards escalation of the Vietnam war (JOhnson and Nixon), since the questions of the only 3 years have all been why did America end/pull out.. i.e hearts and minds, nixon domestic opposition...

Good luck to yours, more worried about Unit 5.. Are you bothering to revise Korea, i am limiting my options for Vietnam only.. i believe i can answer any Vietnam question than a really easy Korean one! lol
Reply 36
Specialheffa
I think the question will be directed towards escalation of the Vietnam war (JOhnson and Nixon), since the questions of the only 3 years have all been why did America end/pull out.. i.e hearts and minds, nixon domestic opposition...

Good luck to yours, more worried about Unit 5.. Are you bothering to revise Korea, i am limiting my options for Vietnam only.. i believe i can answer any Vietnam question than a really easy Korean one! lol

The January paper wasn't about the pull-out. One was about whether pushing past the 38th parrellel in Korea was a political and military blunder, and the other was about whether US intervention in Indochina was 'economic imperialism'. I hope one question is about the pull-out, coz I can talk for hours on that!!!! Our tutor says that after January's paper was so utterly random, the questions could be about anything - so be prepared!

I have revised some of Korea, however I think its easier to write a good answer about Vietnam or the pull-out because the issues are more difficult if you get what I mean! It makes the answer look more thorough and sophisticated. I have revised some of Korea, just incase a nightmare question comes up about Vietnam - but most of my revision is Vietnam.

Good luck to you too!
Reply 37
kingslaw

Yes it is :frown: Units 4 and 5.
Reply 38
slowjamz
Yes it is :frown: Units 4 and 5.

I'm suprised how many people are doing Unit 5 exams. We did coursework for Unit 5 instead of an exam - which I think is a better balance.
Reply 39
kingslaw
I'm suprised how many people are doing Unit 5 exams. We did coursework for Unit 5 instead of an exam - which I think is a better balance.

I wish have could have done that - would have taken some of the pressure off. I'm studying by distance learning though so coursework is usually avoided unless there's no other option because of administration hassle - the only subject I've had it in at A-level has been Psychology.

Latest

Trending

Trending