The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do we need a Royal Family

Poll

do we need a Royal Family

Do we need a Royal Family could this country cope with out a Royal Family or dose the Royal Family serve a role in the 21 century or is it just a symbol of status. Ok will this country fall apart if there was not any Royal Family or do we need them for some sort of person that every one in the uk and the world respects.

What your thoughts on this

I’m in favour of a Royal Family because its symbolise the uk and play a role in this country with in the would as a ruler.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the sand man
Do we need a Royal Family could this country cope with out a Royal Family or dose the Royal Family serve a role in the 21 century or is it just a symbol of status. Ok will this country fall apart if there was not any Royal Family or do we need them for some sort of person that every one in the uk and the world respects.

What your thoughts on this

I’m in favour of a Royal Family because its symbolise the uk and play a role in this country with in the would as a ruler.

It begs the question, it really does. Doesn't it?

Well, I certainly think so. And, in the end, isn't that the real truth?

The answer, is 'no'.
I like the queen's head on the back of our coinage.
No. Get them to ****.
Reply 4
Well they are fun to look at.
Reply 5
Yes we need them, as in the event that we get someone trying to be a dictator (didnt Tony have a damn good try?) there is a head of state that can constitutionally protect against this. Paying them a little less might help, but TBF she does pay taxes now, and now that Prince William is back on the market, all us girls have a chance to get some of your hands on that lovely lolly (I meant the money :eek: ).
Reply 6
pharmgirl
Yes we need them, as in the event that we get someone trying to be a dictator (didnt Tony have a damn good try?) there is a head of state that can constitutionally protect against this. Paying them a little less might help, but TBF she does pay taxes now, and now that Prince William is back on the market, all us girls have a chance to get some of your hands on that lovely lolly (I meant the money :eek: ).

They aren't "overpaid". If anything the monarch operates at a loss of about £6 Billion, since the revenues of the Crown Estates go to the Excheqeur. And comparing Blair to a dictator is a stretch.
Reply 7
Gilliwoo
They aren't "overpaid". If anything the monarch operates at a loss of about £6 Billion, since the revenues of the Crown Estates go to the Excheqeur. And comparing Blair to a dictator is a stretch.

Good point. But my point about preventing dictatorship is still sound. So do you think that not being overpaid also applies to the salaries on the civil list for the more minor Royals?
Reply 8
pharmgirl
Good point. But my point about preventing dictatorship is still sound. So do you think that not being overpaid also applies to the salaries on the civil list for the more minor Royals?

The government only pays for state-related duties of the Royal Family. The minor royals' parliamentary allowances are reimbursed by the Queen.
pharmgirl

There are loads of countries that either have the head of government and the head of state as the same person (e.g. the US), or that have a prime minister as head of government and a president as the head of state (e.g. Germany, France). I don't think the UK needs the royal family to prevent a dictatorship; that's just ridiculous.
Reply 10
shady lane
There are loads of countries that either have the head of government and the head of state as the same person (e.g. the US), or that have a prime minister as head of government and a president as the head of state (e.g. Germany, France). I don't think the UK needs the royal family to prevent a dictatorship; that's just ridiculous.

I'm inclined to believe tha our present constitutional arrangements would make an alternative very difficult. That said, the real reason we keep the Monarch is how incredibly convenient the Crown's powers are to politicians. It makes the conduct of government a more precise and fluid business, and allows ministers to get on with their work without needing to appeal for "legitimacy" to such nebulous concepts as the state, the constitution and, oh God forbid, "The People".
shady lane

As said in Shady's inimitable style...

Britain does not have a constitution like the US therefore there is nothing to stop this from happening. So if our head of state and prime minister were one there would be nothing to stop them grabbing power and just refusing to leave.

The Royal family also preserve continuity in a changing political landscape, e.g. the queen mother, who survived two world wars and more so than the queen, was held in great affection by people from all walks of life.
Well my point was, why can't the head of state be a ceremonial president, like in Germany, instead of a monarch?
Would solve the dictatorship issue but there wouldnt be the advantage of continuity. The ceremonial function of a head of state is as a symbol of the country, how can a president be better than a Royal family that has symbolised the country for 1000 years?
Reply 14
pharmgirl
Would solve the dictatorship issue but there wouldnt be the advantage of continuity. The ceremonial function of a head of state is as a symbol of the country, how can a president be better than a Royal family that has symbolised the country for 1000 years?

Why do we need a head of state at all? Surely a democratically elected system negates the need for one to carry power over others?

The argument about the "symbolic" importance of the Royal Family is one trotted out by lazy monarchists; I've heard the "well, it's good for the tourism" argument too many times.
It doesn't need a royal family, but it doesn't need a president either. A president would most likely be appointed anyway, so you still wouldn't elect them. If we merged head of government with head of state you also have the problem of politics, which isn't a problem for the queen and is a reason why she can have dialogue with so many other heads of states around the world easier than Blair can.
Reply 16
no we definitely do not need them. bloody outdated regime that's all.
'Death of a Joyce scholar'
Why do we need a head of state at all? Surely a democratically elected system negates the need for one to carry power over others?

The argument about the "symbolic" importance of the Royal Family is one trotted out by lazy monarchists; I've heard the "well, it's good for the tourism" argument too many times.

We were talking about how to guard against a democratically elected leader turning dictator and how a sepration of head of government and head of state with limited constitutional power prevents this.
Reply 18
pharmgirl
As said in Shady's inimitable style...

Britain does not have a constitution like the US therefore there is nothing to stop this from happening. So if our head of state and prime minister were one there would be nothing to stop them grabbing power and just refusing to leave.

The Royal family also preserve continuity in a changing political landscape, e.g. the queen mother, who survived two world wars and more so than the queen, was held in great affection by people from all walks of life.

Pharmgirl, there's aneven stronger axis to the "continuity" argument. The Queen has been dealing with Prime Ministers since Churchill: she probaly has a more intimate understanding of the political system and of how the constitution works than any living politician right now. Even if she's not quite a constitutional scholar, I'd say almost nobody can claim that much experience in the UK political system.
Reply 19
shady lane
Well my point was, why can't the head of state be a ceremonial president, like in Germany, instead of a monarch?

President? How disgustingly unBritish. We sort of tried that idea in the 1650s; it wasn't for us. The fact that the Monarch isn't elected is perhaps very much the bonus we have over presidential systems. At least with an hereditary monarch there is no fight over who shoul do the job next, and more importantly, no politics involved in his/her selection.

Latest

Trending

Trending