The Student Room Group

Exams for nursing

Hi
What sort of exams do you take in your nursing degree do you have to write an essay or report and is it graded thanks
Original post by glamourprincess
Hi
What sort of exams do you take in your nursing degree do you have to write an essay or report and is it graded thanks

This depends on the university but you will have maths exams, practicals, essays, maybe a dissertation as well as short answer and essay exams. You're also assessed on each placement and will usually have a portfolio to fill in and gain competent knowledge and skills in clinical areas as well as patient interaction and medication administration.
Again, this depends on the university and how they assess.
Nursing is not an easy degree and requires a lot of self discipline!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by glamourprincess
Hi

You will probably do a combination of exams, essays, practical skill assessments, a dissertation and placements.

Yes it's graded - you will come out with a degree classification in the end which is dependent on how well you do.
I'm a first year adult nursing student and this year we have 1 essay which is graded a,b,c ect. Then we have an anatomy and physiology exam which is mostly multiple choice. Then we have an osce, which is a practical exam where you have to demonstrate how to do different clinical skills. Then when we are on placement, we get graded on how well we got on. It really depends on the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kimberleyanne
I'm a first year adult nursing student and this year we have 1 essay which is graded a,b,c ect. Then we have an anatomy and physiology exam which is mostly multiple choice. Then we have an osce, which is a practical exam where you have to demonstrate how to do different clinical skills. Then when we are on placement, we get graded on how well we got on. It really depends on the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it true that first year doesn't matter and that you just have to pass it? Like if you just passed it you could still get a first??
At my university yes, but I'm in Scotland so it may be different at others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pine3278
Is it true that first year doesn't matter and that you just have to pass it? Like if you just passed it you could still get a first??

I'm in ni and our first year counted towards our final grade.
This varies from one university to the next.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
I'm in ni and our first year counted towards our final grade.
This varies from one university to the next.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In England first year doesn't count towards your final classification however this doesn't mean that you shouldn't take it seriously. First year is the building block to second and third year where things get much harder. The harder you work in first year, the sooner you will establish a writing style, literature searching techniques, and the ability to critically analyse research. If you grasp this early on it will benefit you so so much.

I compare some of my first and third year work and they are poles apart.

(@deviant182 not aimed at you at all, but just adding my perspective to your comment!)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending