The Student Room Group

Volunteering options

Hi
Is it possible to volunteer at two different places and can you volunteer while working thanks
Reply 1
Yeah, there is no limit on where or when you volunteer. Some companies might have rules about the employees or volunteers not being able to work for rival company but that's rare. As long as you have the time and will to do it, you can volunteer as much as you want.
Just to be safe tho, simply ask your boss. They will most likely say that it will not affect anything as long as you don't start missing work for it etc.
Original post by Devify
Yeah, there is no limit on where or when you volunteer. Some companies might have rules about the employees or volunteers not being able to work for rival company but that's rare. As long as you have the time and will to do it, you can volunteer as much as you want.
Just to be safe tho, simply ask your boss. They will most likely say that it will not affect anything as long as you don't start missing work for it etc.

Ok thanks devify
Yes, you can but you should focus on only one place to serve better to the world.
Reply 4
You definitely can do both of those things. I work and volunteer at the same time, and I would advise the following:

- Try volunteering, if you are volunteering in 2 places, for different things. One of the good things about volunteering is that you can do heaps of different things - but it can be dull and demotivating if you are spending so much time doing one particular thing and the only thing that changes is the place.
- If you can, volunteer for a very good charity or one that will make as much of a difference as possible, or alternatively...
- If you are interested in a career or passionate about a related cause, try to apply for charities that are relevant in that field as it will boost your CV, excite you more, motivate you to keep going and be something extra to talk about (with enthusiasm) for interviews - job interviews and uni ones alike.
- Charities are used to people only volunteering for a few months and dropping out, but whether you should do the same is up for debate. The longer you volunteer, the more persistence/experience it will display on your CV and the more you can talk about in job interviews (the longer you stay, the more likely it will be that situations come up where you've displayed great customer service or helped someone out or coped well with a difficult situation). But it can clash with your studies and it can be particularly stressful if you volunteer during your GCSEs (as I did, all the way through) and grades often should take priority. That being said, in my opinion a lot of people volunteer for a few months and volunteering for longer may help you stand out. In one interview I had for an Academy thing, the volunteering was what helped me to stand out as the interviewer was really impressed with it, especially as I had been doing it for quite a while.
- As for volunteering and working... It can be a lot. I get no days off as I volunteer/work through the weekend and also have heaps of homework to do. A lot of jobs may want you to work on Saturday mornings (key retail times) - but so do charities, and some jobs may try to make you work on Saturdays and not have time for you if you say you're volunteering on that day. Mine doesn't, but I think I'm lucky in that regard.

Overall, I would definitely recommend volunteering. Even things like charity shops can be really helpful as they teach you about tills and customer service, which can be very helpful for a job in retail.

Edit: Sorry this post was so long, I swear I talk too much :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending