The Student Room Group

What do children from wealthy backgrounds get at christmas

No childish responses. I want comments from people who are actually from a wealthy background.

I have got around £400 worth of presents (I am 20), I know that's not really alot, I am happy enough with that as it allows me to save etc. I am from a middle class background but my parents don't buy me a massive anount of presents as I get other things throughout the year.

Tbh i'd prefer it that way. I get on great holidays etc, would rather have that than a thousand pound laptop.

Scroll to see replies

Lynx Gift sets
Original post by Frostyjoe
No childish responses. I want comments from people who are actually from a wealthy background.

I have got around £400 worth of presents (I am 20), I know that's not really alot, I am happy enough with that as it allows me to save etc. I am from a middle class background but my parents don't buy me a massive anount of presents as I get other things throughout the year.

Tbh i'd prefer it that way. I get on great holidays etc, would rather have that than a thousand pound laptop.

I'm from a relatively wealthy background and I can definitely say I get similar things to what you just described. Quite a few presents but met with the fact that we go on holidays, they pay for my education so I do tell them I don't want them spending much more on me because I'm lucky to have that. My parents don't spoil me just because they're wealthy. But I guess you will always get kids where extortionate amounts are spent on them, and I think that's okay if their parents have the money.

Admittedly though, this year in addition I am getting a laptop, I've paid for some of it but it's for uni so xD
I literally got a pair of fluffy socks

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by ATLHustler
I'm from a relatively wealthy background and I can definitely say I get similar things to what you just described. Quite a few presents but met with the fact that we go on holidays, they pay for my education so I do tell them I don't want them spending much more on me because I'm lucky to have that. My parents don't spoil me just because they're wealthy. But I guess you will always get kids where extortionate amounts are spent on them, and I think that's okay if their parents have the money.

Admittedly though, this year in addition I am getting a laptop, I've paid for some of it but it's for uni so xD

So it sounds like people from wealthy backgrounds get more of their "gifts" throughout the year.
(edited 8 years ago)
No. My parents definitely don't give me random gifts throughout the year. At Christmas I get one or two big expensive presents that are more than non-wealthy parents can afford and lots of little presents. But it's more about stuff I want than the price of the item tbh..
Mine have had a lot of travel costs recently, to parties up and down the UK, so I've capped their Xmas present budget to just under £500 each. I don't subscribe to the whole gorging on presents approach, as they wouldn't really value what they received.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm from a middle-class background and I tend to get one or two 'big' presents (at around £100 each), then some 'medium' presents (around £20-£50 each) then stocking presents. However, like you, I get stuff throughout the year paid for me e.g. school choir tours. Also, it depends on how 'expensive' the year has been, so this year has been fairly expensive as I'm having driving lessons paid for me (that wasn't me bragging by the way!! Just clarifying!)
Same as the poorer kids, innit.
Original post by Frostyjoe
So it sounds like people from wealthy backgrounds get more of their "gifts" throughout the year.

No.
image.jpg If you so ask, a rotary watch (£500), sup board (£350), a month in Bonaire (Well....) and some shirts. From my family I was given antique solid gold and silver cuff links (now valued at £2200) and some books. (upper-middle class I'd say? Our Christmas is usually nothing like this though)
(edited 8 years ago)
£1000 macbook
£800 iphone
£700 money
£500 argos gift voucher
A segway
£1900 road bike
£3000 iMac
I remember being like oh so impressed when my cousin from a wealthier family got a PC all for himself for Christmas like 10 years ago...
Original post by GeologyMaths
£1000 macbook
£800 iphone
£700 money
£500 argos gift voucher
A segway
£1900 road bike
£3000 iMac

Surely you're trolling...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I normally get a big gift and then just little stuff - but I'm notoriously difficult to buy for as I don't say what I'd like ;D

e.g. new laptop this year, with shaving kit
new phone last year, with books
camera the year before, with music

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RDB1826

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has to be, why £500 for Argos?
Original post by RDB1826

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im the only child
Conspicuous consumption is for the very wealthy and poorer people who don't want to be seen as poorer people. I'd consider anything over £200 per child (including 'big' present and smaller ones) incredibly vulgar.
Yankee candles :smile:
Not from a massively wealthy background but got the following:
£150 of uni equipment
WD black HDD (£150+)
Around £50-100 of chocolate
Cycling equipment
A load of posters
Not sure but some money in cards from other relatives
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest