The Student Room Group

Desperately worried about a suicidal friend. Advice needed.

This probably seems an inappropriate day to be posting such a topic, but I'm feeling so depressed and anxious and absolutely terrible and just need some words of comfort or advice.

I'm long distance close friends with a guy who has autism and severe anxiety and depression. He has made a previous suicide attempt but he called 999 and they took him to hospital to have his stomach pumped. He was then discharged and let back home (he lives alone).

His mood has been feeling incredibly low lately and I have not heard anything from him since the 21st December. I have tried calling and calling and calling but I get no response. Yesterday I rang his local hospital to see if he'd been admitted and they said he hadn't. I then rang his local mental health team and they told me that contact had been made with him on the 22nd and that a check was going to be done yesterday. It hasn't exactly reassured me though; he has not been online and his phone has rang and rang and rang and rang with no response.

I know he was planning to see family this Christmas but I don't understand why he's not answering his phone :frown: The last conversation he had, he was saying something about how he was going to get stupidly smashed on alcohol despite being on medication. This is setting off all sorts of worries and fears in my head. He lives four hours away so I cannot do anything :frown: My worst fear is that something terrible has happened to him.

I care and love the guy so much and it'd absolutely devastate me if I'm to lose him, he's already vulnerable :frown:

Advice/help greatly appreciated. :frown:

Merry Christmas by the way. :smile:
I don't really have any advice but you sound like a really good friend. Do you not have contact with anyone who lives near him who can go round and check on him?
Do you know any of his family? Even if not, try to get a hold of their phone numbers or even send a facebook message just generally asking about him and his wellbeing.
Original post by Jabberwox
This probably seems an inappropriate day to be posting such a topic, but I'm feeling so depressed and anxious and absolutely terrible and just need some words of comfort or advice.

I'm long distance close friends with a guy who has autism and severe anxiety and depression. He has made a previous suicide attempt but he called 999 and they took him to hospital to have his stomach pumped. He was then discharged and let back home (he lives alone).

His mood has been feeling incredibly low lately and I have not heard anything from him since the 21st December. I have tried calling and calling and calling but I get no response. Yesterday I rang his local hospital to see if he'd been admitted and they said he hadn't. I then rang his local mental health team and they told me that contact had been made with him on the 22nd and that a check was going to be done yesterday. It hasn't exactly reassured me though; he has not been online and his phone has rang and rang and rang and rang with no response.

I know he was planning to see family this Christmas but I don't understand why he's not answering his phone :frown: The last conversation he had, he was saying something about how he was going to get stupidly smashed on alcohol despite being on medication. This is setting off all sorts of worries and fears in my head. He lives four hours away so I cannot do anything :frown: My worst fear is that something terrible has happened to him.

I care and love the guy so much and it'd absolutely devastate me if I'm to lose him, he's already vulnerable :frown:

Advice/help greatly appreciated. :frown:

Merry Christmas by the way. :smile:

This sounds a difficult situation. Like others have said, maybe try getting in touch with his friends or family. But beyond that, you will just have to wait and see. I know it's hard but just try to remember to look after yourself and at the end of the day, you can support him, but you can't stop him from taking his life if he wants to. Hope you hear from him soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your replies everyone. He texted me yesterday on Christmas Day saying that his depression had worsened and he had not felt like speaking to anyone. He is under closer supervision from the Mental Health Team now and is on stronger medication. I am so relieved he is alive at least. Thank you once again.

Quick Reply

Latest