The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Law at Kent

Hiya, I Just wanted to ask how its like to study law at Kent? I'm deciding between City university and Kent, if I choose Kent can I get good work experience than if I studied in London especially if im studying law??
Original post by sisi98
Hiya, I Just wanted to ask how its like to study law at Kent? I'm deciding between City university and Kent, if I choose Kent can I get good work experience than if I studied in London especially if im studying law??

Terribly sorry it's taken so long for someone to get back to you!

I'm a first year law student at Kent and I'll certainly say that studying at Kent is better than I expected (don't worry, I'm not being paid or anything). Your taught how to approach the law critically so it means you become aware of economic, political, social and of course legal issues within the law. It's complex to explain but it makes a huge difference. You start to see how law is involved in literally everything we do in our daily lives and on a larger scale.

The teaching staff here are absolutely fantastic! They don't expect you to know everything and they're always available to help you out.

As for work experience, law firms are much more receptive to Kent students as they see that we're a fantastic uni with some of the best teaching around. Compared to City, I'd say that work experience is more than achieveable.

If you decide to come to Kent, make sure you sign up to Aspiring Solicitors! Hell, I'd start looking at them now! They help individuals who fall under the LGBT, disabled, first generation of their family to go to uni and those who don't attend Russell Group unis. I've secured a place on a talk with a major London firm because of these guys! I'm also on the shortlist for another major firm's open day exclusively with AS.

In short I'd say this: look more at the courses and the university than I would the work experience potential. See whether you want to learn the law word-for-word (black letter law) or if you want to be taught in a more critical manner.

Best of luck with everything! :smile:

Edit: One piece of advice I'd give, irrespective of where you go, is get involved with the student law society as early as you can! I made the biggest mistake of not applying for the first year rep position and that is something that can do you wonders both personally and to your CV. Every little helps!
(edited 8 years ago)
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you! That was really helpful:smile: I really hope I do get the grades for Kent and I'm trying to change my degree to law and politics. Good luck with your degree.
OMG I can´t believe we have the same thoughts. you guys might not read this, but I´m from Spain and want to study law in the UK. I got an offer for law at City and then for Politics and Law at Kent. the thing is in Kent it´s a a BA rather than a LLM so I don´t really know what to do...

btw at the end what did you choose, City or Law?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending