The Student Room Group

Recommend me a laptop

The screen has gone on my Samsung RV520.
Lasted 3 years and whilst I could probably get it fixed, after three years I'm thinking I might as well get a new laptop.

Can someone recommend any good deals they've seen today? Looking to spend £350 max on something decent? Don't really game much, use it mainly for browsing, Word, Excel and music every now and then. Looking for a nice keyboard and good reliability - maybe 2 years warranty included?

Thanks for any help.
Original post by accno1
The screen has gone on my Samsung RV520.
Lasted 3 years and whilst I could probably get it fixed, after three years I'm thinking I might as well get a new laptop.

Can someone recommend any good deals they've seen today? Looking to spend £350 max on something decent? Don't really game much, use it mainly for browsing, Word, Excel and music every now and then. Looking for a nice keyboard and good reliability - maybe 2 years warranty included?

Thanks for any help.

Hi there,

Since it's just after Christmas, there will probably be some good deals on technology and laptops/computers in the next few days, so if you are looking to get a new laptop, now is the time to do so.

Seeing as though you don't really use it for games, or anything else that is CPU intensive, you could probably go for an intel i3 based laptop and still be fine.

For example, you could look for something like this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-g50-15-6-laptop-silver-10137557-pdt.html - this is a laptop with an i3 processor, 8GB RAM and 1TB hard drive and is in the sale at £279. Most intel i3 laptops are around the £300 - £400 mark, you're best to have a look around.

Alternatively, if you wanted to look at AMD processors, this AMD-A8 laptop would also be suitable: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-af157sa-15-6-laptop-white-10140413-pdt.html

Most laptops nowadays are quite reliable - the laptop I am using now is a 4 year old Acer Aspire and is still going reasonably well (apart from running a bit hot sometimes).

Another option - if you did want to get your old Samsung laptop fixed, I've had a look on eBay and there are plenty of replacement screens available. So you could just buy a new screen and repair your old laptop, if you wanted to.

Hope that helps.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
How much did you pay for your Samsung laptop? You would probably want to get the screen replaced if it has something like a 2nd gen i3 or i5 or newer processor.

Replacing a laptop after 3 years is too early and, unless the laptop has been dropped or if there is motherboard damage, laptops should last around 6 years before needing a replacement (hard drive failure usually happens before this but getting it replaced is insanely cheap), but even after 6 years the performance is reasonable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by SkyJP
How much did you pay for your Samsung laptop? You would probably want to get the screen replaced if it has something like a 2nd gen i3 or i5 or newer processor.

Replacing a laptop after 3 years is too early and, unless the laptop has been dropped or if there is motherboard damage, laptops should last around 6 years before needing a replacement (hard drive failure usually happens before this but getting it replaced is insanely cheap), but even after 6 years the performance is reasonable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Around £320? It's an i3 Samsung RV520, I'm leaning towards a replacement screen tbh

Although I have the money for a new laptop, I'm working way too much to benefit from a laptop and I've recently got a new phone.

Roughly how much Would a new screen set me back?
Original post by SkyJP

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are correct there, my current Acer Aspire is 4 years old, and apart from a bit of overheating (which is common with the Acer Aspire 5742s) the laptop runs pretty well. The only thing I have had to replace is the battery - here's hoping I can get at least 2-3 more years out of it. :yep:

Original post by accno1
Around £320? It's an i3 Samsung RV520, I'm leaning towards a replacement screen tbhAlthough I have the money for a new laptop, I'm working way too much to benefit from a laptop and I've recently got a new phone.Roughly how much Would a new screen set me back?

If it's already got an intel i3 processor, then you are honestly better off just repairing your current laptop. For the price range that you stated in the OP, you'll be looking at another i3 laptop - so you won't see any performance increase on most tasks.

If you want to fit it yourself (which I would recommend, to save on costs) then you can get a new screen from eBay - prices are about £35 including delivery. Which is much cheaper than shelling out £300+ for an equivalent i3 laptop.
Reply 5
Original post by spotify95
You are correct there, my current Acer Aspire is 4 years old, and apart from a bit of overheating (which is common with the Acer Aspire 5742s) the laptop runs pretty well. The only thing I have had to replace is the battery - here's hoping I can get at least 2-3 more years out of it. :yep:

If it's already got an intel i3 processor, then you are honestly better off just repairing your current laptop. For the price range that you stated in the OP, you'll be looking at another i3 laptop - so you won't see any performance increase on most tasks.

If you want to fit it yourself (which I would recommend, to save on costs) then you can get a new screen from eBay - prices are about £35 including delivery. Which is much cheaper than shelling out £300+ for an equivalent i3 laptop.

Are they easy to self replace? I know nothing about computers
Original post by accno1
Are they easy to self replace? I know nothing about computers

Hi,

I've just had a little look and there are tutorials on how to replace the screen, on sites such as Youtube. For example, here is a tutorial on how to replace the screen:

[video="youtube;hotawfZt8Dg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hotawfZt8Dg[/video]

It's basically a case of unscrewing a few screws, disconnecting the monitor from the laptop, and then replacing it with a new one. There are few other tutorials out there as well if you search Google.

If you're not that confident at taking the screen out and replacing it, you might want to take it to a computer shop - however, they will want to charge you for doing it. I'd personally watch a few tutorials, and try and do it yourself.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by spotify95
Hi,

I've just had a little look and there are tutorials on how to replace the screen, on sites such as Youtube. For example, here is a tutorial on how to replace the screen:

[video="youtube;hotawfZt8Dg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hotawfZt8Dg[/video]

It's basically a case of unscrewing a few screws, disconnecting the monitor from the laptop, and then replacing it with a new one. There are few other tutorials out there as well if you search Google.

If you're not that confident at taking the screen out and replacing it, you might want to take it to a computer shop - however, they will want to charge you for doing it. I'd personally watch a few tutorials, and try and do it yourself.

Hope that helps :smile:

Easiest thing I have ever done. Got the screen for £30 off ebay, arrived an hour ago and I've just fixed my laptop which I'm typing on.

Saved me £350! So delighted and happy new year
Original post by accno1
Easiest thing I have ever done. Got the screen for £30 off ebay, arrived an hour ago and I've just fixed my laptop which I'm typing on.

Saved me £350! So delighted and happy new year

Hi,

That's brilliant news - glad to hear that it all went well for you :smile:

Hope the laptop keeps working for many years to come.

As you said, it's better to spend £30 on repairing a laptop, rather than £350 on an equivalent replacement!

Happy New Year to you too :hugs:
Reply 9
Recommend me a laptop

I recommend you get a laptop :wink:
If your just editing documents, have you thought about getting a tablet.

Also, a chromebook might suit your needs well.
After 3 years my computers have ended up on their last legs. Depends on usage though - mine was realllly heavy.
Congrats on the screen replacement!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending