The Student Room Group

How will I manage exams...?

I don't want to go into too muh detail, but I have panic attacks in crowded rooms and I have ocd which makes me worry a lot about needing the loo ._. I can manage one hour lessons, and thats pushing it some days.

I havemock exams after the christmas holiday, and I don't know how I can manage sitting in a huge, cavernous gym with 100 other people for 2 hours... But I don't know what to do about it. They probably won't give me extra time for something as stupid as this, but I don't want to waste all my exam time going to the loo to stop myself having panic attacks, which, ironically, will make me panic more.

I NEED to pass these exams though. The college I want needs certain grades and I have no backup plan. I can't survive a levels. I have also had so much time off that I honestly can't say if I will even be able to make it for my real exams, which makes my mock exams all the more important if I can get in for them....

I just feel completely trapped and don't see there being a way out if this that I get my grades and can justget on with my life in peace...
Original post by Roseora
I don't want to go into too muh detail, but I have panic attacks in crowded rooms and I have ocd which makes me worry a lot about needing the loo ._. I can manage one hour lessons, and thats pushing it some days.

I havemock exams after the christmas holiday, and I don't know how I can manage sitting in a huge, cavernous gym with 100 other people for 2 hours... But I don't know what to do about it. They probably won't give me extra time for something as stupid as this, but I don't want to waste all my exam time going to the loo to stop myself having panic attacks, which, ironically, will make me panic more.

I NEED to pass these exams though. The college I want needs certain grades and I have no backup plan. I can't survive a levels. I have also had so much time off that I honestly can't say if I will even be able to make it for my real exams, which makes my mock exams all the more important if I can get in for them....

I just feel completely trapped and don't see there being a way out if this that I get my grades and can justget on with my life in peace...

Don't assume that they won't give you extra time, to me, this seems like a perfectly reasonable excuse, expecially if you have panic attacks. You never know until you ask :smile:

But maybe talk to an exams officer or teacher and see if they can set up a seperate room for you to do the exams in?
Reply 2
Original post by Roseora

I agree with the person above that it's defiantly a good idea to ask someone about it.

It sounds like having rest breaks in exams would help you too. I get them (and many other exam arrangements) and they are really helpful to me.

From my experience I think it's quite likely that you would get some exam support arrangements from what you've said. I can't really say what as it could be quite different depending on what level (GCSE, A Level, uni..) and what subject. I've had different arrangements for different subjects now because it depends on the exam.

Hope you get some support because it sounds like your able to get some and it's not some stupid thing because there is options to help.
It really won't hurt to ask if you can do your exams in a separate smaller room, in my school this happens to people with extra time, and I'm sure they'll try to accommodate you, after all they only want the best from you

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's perfectly reasonable to talk about this with your Head. If your panic attacks and OCD are severe enough to effect your exams like this, they'll most probably be understanding and offer you a 'private' exam room.
I get panic attacks and so it's hard for me to be in a room with other people too. I spoke to my exams officer and she was very accommodating about getting me a smaller venue/private room. If this isn't possible (which I'd be very surprise at) you can always ask to sit by the door (most invigilators I've had would be happy to do this even at the start of the exam). It might not help you but sitting by the door always makes me feel more secure so it might help you a little bit. Best of luck with your mocks! :smile:
Speak to someone at your school about access arrangements. There are various things which could help you. Either sitting in a smaller room or right near the door of the normal exam room. Rest breaks (during which you could go to the toilet, compose yourself etc and they don't count in your exam time). I don't think extra time is usual for anxiety but as I said rest breaks should give you any additional time you need anyway. Your school might also be able to put you in touch with someone who could help you cope with your anxiety.

Quick Reply

Latest