The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

PG Diploma in Nursing at Southampton, January 2017

Hi there!

Is there anyone out there applying for the post graduate diploma in nursing at the University of Southampton, for the January 2017 intake??

It would be lovely to hear from you!

Scroll to see replies

Hey

Not sure yet, don't know whether to go to Nottingham or Southampton.
How's your application going?

Best of luck x
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Heya, good to hear from you :smile:

I'm still writing my application, I emailed Southhampton uni and they said that they didn't currently have a deadline for the jan 2017 intake, it seems so far away!

I will be applying to Nottingham as well,

How is your application going?

Good luck! x
Reply 3
I've applied and haven't had anything back at all so far, not even an acknowledgement. I haven't heard from bournemouth either, other than with a log in for their portal. I have no idea if the pgdip runs to the same schedule as the undergraduate courses. I'm super impatient!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I've applied too! Glad I've found some others, thought I might have got carried away and applied too early (a personal first). I've received and acknowledgment but nowt else.

Does anyone have any idea when they may start to let us know?
Reply 5
Hello everyone!

Which branch have you applied for?

I was just invited to an interview for Mental Health Nursing on April 19th. Anyone else?
Reply 6
I have an interview next Friday for children's nursing but for the bsc, I haven't heard a sausage about the pgdip yet!

Reply 7
I had my interview for PGDip Mental Health Nursing last month and recieved an offer today which I'm delighted about :biggrin:

Original post by jolly81
I've applied and haven't had anything back at all so far, not even an acknowledgement. I haven't heard from bournemouth either, other than with a log in for their portal. I have no idea if the pgdip runs to the same schedule as the undergraduate courses. I'm super impatient!

The PGDip is basically the same course and structure as the undergraduate course except it's crammed into two years instead of three years. There is the same amount of time on placement, so placements begin earlier and are more frequent, meaning less weeks spent at University, fewer reading weeks etc
Reply 8
Original post by Matt1111
I had my interview for PGDip Mental Health Nursing last month and recieved an offer today which I'm delighted about :biggrin:

Congrats, that's great!! :smile:
Could you tell us anything about the interview? Will you be starting in Jan 2017?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Paula_W
Hello everyone!

Which branch have you applied for?

I was just invited to an interview for Mental Health Nursing on April 19th. Anyone else?

Me too!!! Have you read the list of documents they want you to bring???:s-smilie:
Reply 10
[QUOTE="Paula_W;63323681"]
Original post by Matt1111

Congrats, that's great!! :smile:
Could you tell us anything about the interview? Will you be starting in Jan 2017?

The interview day was nice, very welcoming and friendly. First off everyone fills out the forms and then half the interviewees go off and do the group interviews whilst the other half do the Maths and English tests. The Maths test is very basic although no calculator and some people found the questions a bit wordy. The English test you have to write a short answer to a question based off the pre-reading that they sent you. I read through it on the train on the way to the interview which I wouldn't recommend, but also I don't think you have to read it too much like memorizing the whole thing. Really I guess you just have to think about how the documents relate to being a nurse, maybe pick out a few things to potentially talk about.

The group interview I was the most nervous about but it was great. You split into groups of 4 or 5, and two interviewers sit aside and watch as you discuss and answer a question together. It lasts about 10 minutes maybe less, it seemed to go really quickly. I assume they're just looking to see your personality and how you work with others. Afterwards they interview you individually. There's none of the usual questions like why you want to be a nurse, personal qualities etc, instead they first ask you about how you think the group interview went, how you think you did etc. This bit I struggled with, so I would recommend in the few minutes between the group interview and the individual interview to think about a couple points to raise. Then they show you one picture/document/statement and ask you a couple questions about it.

Afterwards they give a short presentation about the course and answer questions from everyone. They also have a handful of current students around throughout the day so you can ask them questions as well.

Hope this helps!
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE="Matt1111;63326919"]
Original post by Paula_W

The interview day was nice, very welcoming and friendly. First off everyone fills out the forms and then half the interviewees go off and do the group interviews whilst the other half do the Maths and English tests. The Maths test is very basic although no calculator and some people found the questions a bit wordy. The English test you have to write a short answer to a question based off the pre-reading that they sent you. I read through it on the train on the way to the interview which I wouldn't recommend, but also I don't think you have to read it too much like memorizing the whole thing. Really I guess you just have to think about how the documents relate to being a nurse, maybe pick out a few things to potentially talk about.

The group interview I was the most nervous about but it was great. You split into groups of 4 or 5, and two interviewers sit aside and watch as you discuss and answer a question together. It lasts about 10 minutes maybe less, it seemed to go really quickly. I assume they're just looking to see your personality and how you work with others. Afterwards they interview you individually. There's none of the usual questions like why you want to be a nurse, personal qualities etc, instead they first ask you about how you think the group interview went, how you think you did etc. This bit I struggled with, so I would recommend in the few minutes between the group interview and the individual interview to think about a couple points to raise. Then they show you one picture/document/statement and ask you a couple questions about it.

Afterwards they give a short presentation about the course and answer questions from everyone. They also have a handful of current students around throughout the day so you can ask them questions as well.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! When you say easy,....... I don't know if you have ever looked at the example paper from Brighton Uni but would you suggest a similar level of maths? Basically addition, subtraction, long multiplication and long division? I did my maths GCSE in 2000 and following my then maths teacher's advice about only needing to remember it for the exam, I allowed everything I had ever learn to fly from my brain!

Thanks for the insight :-)
Reply 12
[QUOTE="Matt1111;63326919"]
Original post by Paula_W

Hope this helps!

Thank you for this detailed description, it helps a lot!
Are you going to confirm your offer?
Reply 13
Original post by Ghille Dhu
Me too!!! Have you read the list of documents they want you to bring???:s-smilie:

Do you mean the documents we're supposed to read? I'm sure we'll be fine :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Ghille Dhu

Thank you! When you say easy,....... I don't know if you have ever looked at the example paper from Brighton Uni but would you suggest a similar level of maths? Basically addition, subtraction, long multiplication and long division? I did my maths GCSE in 2000 and following my then maths teacher's advice about only needing to remember it for the exam, I allowed everything I had ever learn to fly from my brain!

Thanks for the insight :-)

I haven't seen Brighton's but I did maths tests at City, Middlesex, LSBU as well as Southampton and they're all fairly similiar and pretty much as you describe.

Original post by Paula_W

Thank you for this detailed description, it helps a lot!
Are you going to confirm your offer?

I have an interview at Bournemouth in a couple weeks, it's between there and Southampton. Southampton not starting for a further 4/5 months is a bit annoying, but then Bournemouth I think the course is longer so I really don't know which I would choose.
Reply 15
I've Googled some numeracy tests for nursing and they are all very similar. I've found they're mostly ok but I definitely need to brush up on my long division/multiplication. I've relied on a calculator since I did my maths gcse in 1998!

Reply 16
Original post by MrsClair
Heya, good to hear from you :smile:

I'm still writing my application, I emailed Southhampton uni and they said that they didn't currently have a deadline for the jan 2017 intake, it seems so far away!

I will be applying to Nottingham as well,

How is your application going?

Good luck! x

Do you mean you're applying to Nottingham for the PgDip? Sadly they have the same deadline as UCAS, which was on January 15th..
Reply 17
I'm pretty sure the pgdip doesn't have the same deadline as long as the university states it is still open for applications and has places.

Reply 18
Original post by jolly81
I'm pretty sure the pgdip doesn't have the same deadline as long as the university states it is still open for applications and has places.

You're right, here is what they say:
"Applications are accepted through UCAS. Applications received before the UCAS closing date in January are prioritised however we continue to accept late applications for the remaining places."
Reply 19
I had my selection day today and received an offer this afternoon! It's not updated on track yet but I was contacted and told I would be receiving a conditional offer if I was happy to do a science/biology course equating to 30 credits prior to start date because I haven't studied since my degree in 2003. Of course I have agreed to this and am willing to do anything necessary, however after looking at the OU for courses they have nothing that starts before October and they all finish next July! So I'm at a bit of a loss for what I can study that will meet my conditions?

I've found a couple of distance learning courses and will email the tutor on Monday with my alternative suggestions but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas to throw at me? I really don't want to lose a place purely because my degree (albeit a music degree) was 13 years ago!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending