The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
2nd_slip
Australia has universities? :/

Perhaps not but we have a decent cricket team ;P
Reply 61
kstone122
Interesting... where are you getting your numbers from for U Chicago? I don't know if I agree with them but one way or another it's important not to confuse high ranking programs (especially if they are based on graduate schools or research) with a positive undergraduate experience. What other schools were you considering? Best of luck!

I got my numbers from a study done by the national research council. I don't think there can be any doubt, however, that U Chicago offers an excellent undergraduate education, especially when the editor of the Princeton Review College Guidebook calls it the school that offers the best undergraduate education in the US.

I considered Yale but the school seemed too arrogant for me. I can't remember the other schools I considered because I was accepted early to U Chicago and decided not to apply anywhere else after that.
Reply 62
Cosmos
I got my numbers from a study done by the national research council. I don't think there can be any doubt, however, that U Chicago offers an excellent undergraduate education, especially when the editor of the Princeton Review College Guidebook calls it the school that offers the best undergraduate education in the US.

I considered Yale but the school seemed too arrogant for me. I can't remember the other schools I considered because I was accepted early to U Chicago and decided not to apply anywhere else after that.

Chicago is very good, I hear. :smile: Not sure how I'd feel about living in the city though. What's your major?
shady lane
I'm at LSE and on the committee of a society. At my US university, for clubs we wrote letters to the alumni and were guaranteed money: $20 per letter. Or we went to the student government and applied for money, as there was a massive pool just for student groups. And we certainly had more student groups. If you've only studied in Britain you wouldn't realize the difference.

At $20 per letter you'd have to write thousands of letters to make back the difference in money that your US eucation is costing you. And it brings on an entrepreunerial spirit having to find new ways to raise money :wink:
WorkHouse
At one point I thought Brown was made up for the OC, how wrong i was haha :redface:

That same thought came across my mind once too.
Reply 65
oregon
Perhaps not but we have a decent cricket team ;P

Sure do.

Greatest ODI side ever say 2002/3-present.

Test sides, under SW, with McWarne combo fit and firing, plus Lee and Gillespie , I'd say 3rd of alltime? Behind the 48 invincibles and the 77-91 West Indies under LLoyd and then Sir Viv.

Good luck in the semi's mate.
Reply 66
edders
Chicago is very good, I hear. :smile: Not sure how I'd feel about living in the city though. What's your major?

UChicago is actually on the South side of Chicago in Hyde Park which, as you can see from the picture, is not a particularly urban area. The area around U Chicago is residential, but the school is also walking distance from commercial areas and about a 25 minute bus/train ride from downtown Chicago.

I'm going to be a freshman there next year, so I don't have a major yet. Nonetheless, I'm thinking of majoring in chemistry.

Reply 67
Cosmos
UChicago is actually on the South side of Chicago in Hyde Park which, as you can see from the picture, is not a particularly urban area. The area around U Chicago is residential, but the school is also walking distance from commercial areas and about a 25 minute bus/train ride from downtown Chicago.

I'm going to be a freshman there next year, so I don't have a major yet. Nonetheless, I'm thinking of majoring in chemistry.

Ooo, it's pretty. :smile:
And yes, science majors are the way to go, especially in today's US job market.
Reply 68
Congrats, Cosmos. Chicago was my first choice, but unfortunately they didn't come through financially. Be sure to root for your house in the upcoming Scav Hunt. :smile:
Reply 69
Not to rain on this parade, but I've only known people to hate the student atmosphere at UChicago and subsequently transfer. The phrase I most often associate with the school is: UChicago: Where Fun Goes to Die....

So yes, indeed it is a very stimulating academic experience. However, compared to most institutions in America it has a terrible reputation for student happiness. This statement is fueled by personal experience - I hated my visit and know multiple people who have transferred out. But what is more valuable, personal experience from multiple acquaintances or anonymous league tables?
Reply 70
What is most valuable is if you are the kind of student who feels that living in a highly intellectual environment for four years and having fun through your studies is more important than getting wasted every night of the week. Chicago is not the place where "fun goes to die." That's just a stupid stereotype connected to a school that is chock-full of some of the most phenomenally smart students in the world. Go visit for yourself or spend some time talking to current students and you'll see that these kids find fun in academics as well as in typical college activities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_YVt7CfJI
Reply 71
Cosmos, I like how you're not even a freshman and yet you already have the you study there on your profile, it's always the ones that think they'll love it the most...
Reply 72
So let me finish your sentence for you, "It's always the ones who think they'll love it the most... who end up hating it the most." Is that what you mean? If that's what you're implying, you're a bit of a jerk. The only reason I'm posting on here is to tell other people about the school I'll be attending next year - a school that, unfortunately, not many people are aware of because it tends to appeal to a different population than the large majority of other schools in the country. I'm very confident that I'm going to like attending UChicago because when I spent 3 days there (including an overnight) I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. I can't think of a school that would be more suitable for my interests and disposition.

So you're saying that because I say in my profile that I'm studying there, this is implying...what exactly? I'm not sure I totally understand. Personally, I'd prefer to write under Place of Study the university I'll be at next year (considering that this board is largely a place to discuss universities) instead of the name of my high school. In any case, my signature says "University of Chicago Class of 2011" which clearly indicates that I'm starting there next year. I'll grant you that what it says in my profile may be misleading, however, people do seem to look at other members' signatures more than at their profiles, so I suppose having Class of '11 in my signature is direct enough. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the topic:

It isn't tooo important what other people think about a school so much as it's important what you yourself think of a school. If you have any doubts about whether or not you'll like a school, go for a visit if you can. If you can't, just read up on the school's curriculum, faculty & faculty research interests, student organizations, athletics, etc. Try to take things others say about a school with a grain of salt until you have first-hand experience which you can use to back up that person's statements. Only you will know if a place is right for you!
Reply 73
oregon
Sydney is an excellent university too. However, every international study puts Melbourne and the ANU higher.

The top 8 are: Melbourne, ANU, Sydney, U. of New South Wales, U. of Queensland, U. of Western Australia, Monash and Adelaide.

They are more or less comparable.

Sydney uni is in the top 50.
Any one heard of St Norbert? It's in Illinois near Chicago. Whats its reputation like?
Anybody know of U of Florida or anything to do with it?
Reply 76
abless
shady_lane: Who said that Stanford was just "OK"?

As to Stanford's prestige, here in Germany I think that many people know Stanford. At least, they've heard the name. Few people probably know where it actually is, but it's good a good name-recognition.

Damn, I just love Stanford. I've been there at a summer camp, it's awesome. Going for grad school, hopefully.

hi
plz tell me more about stanford summer school, I have applied and i am not yet decided!!! its quite expensive is it worthyyyyy
University of Maryland :biggrin: FEAR THE TURTLE!
Reply 78
HYP, MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, & Caltech are probably the most well-known/prestigious schools, Caltech/MIT being known mostly for the sciences/engineering and not much else, unlike the other schools.
Reply 79
Lots! But that's cause I'm a Canuck. :smile:

Obviously all the Uof[State][City]
And all the major Uof[City]
As well as the Ivy League
And schools like Cornell, MIT, Baylor, Duke, Notre Dame, et cetera