The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdorableDrip
Hardly, I have highlighted that some people do unfortunately have no work ethic and it's frustrating growing up struggle to make ends meet, but by government standards are above this so called threshold and seeing others get spoon fed, I'm aware not everyone who has a low income family is getting more because they're parents don't work. My boyfriends parents are both self employed designers, so I'm fully aware. I was using it as a worst case case study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"case study" oh please, no you were not doing a case study. You were taking your frustration out on a large group people, very few of which statistically will be people who do not work.
Reply 21
I'm home for Christmas and I have £9 left of my £3000 loan and £1500 overdraft, my mum won't even lend me bus money to get into town to see the bank. She, herself cannot afford to give me that money, but apparently I'm not entitled to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you aren't because they go off based on the information your parents gave them. Perhaps you can contact them and try and make it based of your income , doubt you can do it so fast though specially when you are in your parents household.

At some point buy yourself a bike it requires no ticket and is cheap as chips.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why is it based on how much your parents earn? My parents earn roughly around £40K a year so I get about 6K in loans. My other half gets around £8K as his parents earn less. How is it fair if my parents pay more tax for me to get less benefit from it? Why should I have to get no extra help from uni's whilst others get about 3K a year extra from the university itself to help!?

Life isn't fair it's about taking your opportunities and making the most of them.

Lots of people have achieved from having had a bad start in life it comes down to how hard you are willing to work and if you are really driven to make the sacrifices.

Also life shouldn't just be about "how much can I borrow", this is the mentality that the left have imposed on us "I want to borrow more because that person can". Work hard and don't rely on debt.
Reply 23
I'm home for Christmas and I have £9 left of my £3000 loan and £1500 overdraft, my mum won't even lend me bus money to get into town to see the bank. She, herself cannot afford to give me that money, but apparently I'm not entitled to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crikey - how did you manage to get through £4500 in three months??

There's no way that's sustainable for another two terms. You wouldn't be able to support that level of expenditure even on the maximum loan/grant.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
OP's entitlement is very strong.
Reply 25
Original post by Maker
OP's entitlement is very strong.

Well OP and family had it good for a while so life was good but now that daddy and mummy have lost money OP suddenly feels the cold that all poor people feel everyday.
You are doing something wrong to go through £1500 a month. I suggest you rethink your finances rather than asking for even more money. £1.5k/month is about the same as a cushy £23k a year job. If you are struggling on that as a student then you are really doing something wrong.
Original post by Mancini
Well OP and family had it good for a while so life was good but now that daddy and mummy have lost money OP suddenly feels the cold that all poor people feel everyday.

Seems like OP thinks that relying on debt and getting money given from the government is the way to get ahead.

Why not, you know....get a job?

Lots of people who have to bring up kids work minimum wage jobs 40-50 hours a week and don't tell me that being a university student is harder than bringing up kids! If you work 40-50 hours a week you can easily cover your accommodation and academic expenses without relying on borrowing and getting in to debt. Learning to work hard, discipline yourself and live within your means are important life lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im nearly getting to the point where I am in a similar situation taking my maximum £4.5k loan which isnt even covering my rent & I had to quit my part time job since they said I would be fired if I took a day off to sit an exam, However im lucky that due to my previous job ive been living off of some savings I had rather than my overdraft, I honestly dont know how im going to survive more than a year though, im tempted to drop out and work full time for a bit longer then go back for my final 2 years. And ofcourse im ineligble for a larger loan or bursury because my step father who I do not get along with nor do I talk too is on a high wage.
Its nuts.
Reply 29
The system is even more disgusting when you take into account that benefit money isnt factored into earnings when it comes to income calculations.

A typical "poor" family with 2 kids, a father working minimum wage, and a mother who doesnt work, gets around £10k income from work and around £18k extra from benefits (mainly housing benefit + child tax credit) which works out as being equivalent to a £40k salary. But because the benefits are not classed as income, their children will get grants + full loans.

However a family where the husband earns £40k will be classed as high income, and their children will not get grants and full loans, despite the fact the money the family has is identical

The UK is a pretty vile place when it comes to things like this, particularly when all the poors who are being given huge amounts of free money taken from productive families are so ungrateful about it (see half the posts in this thread, for example)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CAElite
Im nearly getting to the point where I am in a similar situation taking my maximum £4.5k loan which isnt even covering my rent & I had to quit my part time job since they said I would be fired if I took a day off to sit an exam, However im lucky that due to my previous job ive been living off of some savings I had rather than my overdraft, I honestly dont know how im going to survive more than a year though, im tempted to drop out and work full time for a bit longer then go back for my final 2 years. And ofcourse im ineligble for a larger loan or bursury because my step father who I do not get along with nor do I talk too is on a high wage.
Its nuts.

Where the heck are your renting to have £1.5k a month not even covering the base rent?
Original post by Keyhofi
You are doing something wrong to go through £1500 a month. I suggest you rethink your finances rather than asking for even more money. £1.5k/month is about the same as a cushy £23k a year job. If you are struggling on that as a student then you are really doing something wrong.

Original post by Klix88
Crikey - how did you manage to get through £4500 in three months??

There's no way that's sustainable for another two terms. You wouldn't be able to support that level of expenditure even on the maximum loan/grant.

Do you guys understand how student loan works?

OP is likely to be paying rent from her student loan, and she won't have got £3000 in a lump sum.

She'd get something like £1k per term, and when you factor in the cost of accommodation/bills, which is likely to be at least 3.5k a year..

If you account for the 1.5k overdraft, I'd assume OP had about 1k - 1.2k to last the term.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by poohat
The system is even more disgusting when you take into account that benefit money isnt factored into earnings when it comes to income calculations.

A typical "poor" family with 2 kids, a father working minimum wage, and a mother who doesnt work, gets around £10k income from work and around £18k extra from benefits (mainly housing benefit + child tax credit) which works out as being equivalent to a £40k salary. But because the benefits are not classed as income, their children will get grants + full loans.

However a family where the husband earns £40k will be classed as high income, and their children will not get grants and full loans, despite the fact the money the family has is identical

The UK is a pretty vile place when it comes to things like this, particularly when all the poors who are being given huge amounts of free money taken from productive families are so ungrateful about it (see half the posts in this thread, for example)

^this.

It's not about depriving those who can't afford it - by all means they should go! It's about making it fairer for those the system traps in the middle...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33

Posted from TSR Mobile

How was she above the threshold in the first place then? Where do you live?
Original post by Keyhofi
Where the heck are your renting to have £1.5k a month not even covering the base rent?

Errr £4500/10.5 isnt 1.5k, as much as I wish it was. £430 in from the loan. Rent is £520 in the only student hall in the city, I regret using the student halls as the price really is rediculous, a lot of people in my flats are struggling, but sadly you are stuck there for the year once you sign the rental agreement.

EDIT: Im sorry I just realised it was the poster I quoted which had that expenditure. Holy **** that is rediculous I didnt spend that when I was in full time work lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Seems like OP thinks that relying on debt and getting money given from the government is the way to get ahead.

Why not, you know....get a job?

Lots of people who have to bring up kids work minimum wage jobs 40-50 hours a week and don't tell me that being a university student is harder than bringing up kids! If you work 40-50 hours a week you can easily cover your accommodation and academic expenses without relying on borrowing and getting in to debt. Learning to work hard, discipline yourself and live within your means are important life lessons.

I'm more surprised that OP has this mentality while having successful parents. One would think her/his successful parents would have taught them about working for what you want in life that's usually the tale of well of families.
Reply 36
Original post by CAElite
Errr £4500/10.5 isnt 1.5k, as much as I wish it was. £430 in from the loan. Rent is £520 in the only student hall in the city, I regret using the student halls as the price really is rediculous, a lot of people in my flats are struggling, but sadly you are stuck there for the year once you sign the rental agreement.

EDIT: Im sorry I just realised it was the poster I quoted which had that expenditure. Holy **** that is rediculous I didnt spend that when I was in full time work lol.

See that's your mistake. My place was £220 a month inc. internet and water bills.
Original post by CAElite

Ah, my bad. Misunderstood your post as £4500 over three months rather than 10.5. Makes a lot more sense now.
What's totally unfair is that the current system fails to take into account parents who have multiple children at university. A couple earning £40,000 with one child can give more financial support than one with three children at university (as was the situation in my case).
Original post by Sae.HH
See that's your mistake. My place was £220 a month inc. internet and water bills.

Which town/city? Most places start at at least £300 a month and more expensive areas tend to be £400+/month as a base price.

Latest

Trending

Trending