The Student Room Group

Should all universities other than Oxbridge, LSE, and ICL be shut down?

Only the elite universities deserve to survive, should the rest be shut down?

Scroll to see replies

No.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
No.

Why not?
Most universities are partly funded by government at this point. It would be interesting to see the government withdraw financial support from universities and allow them to sink or swim on their own. Then the failing universities will collapse and the elite universities will survive to create generations of capable, able human beings who will go on to become the leaders of the country.
Reply 4
Original post by Cato the Elder
Most universities are partly funded by government at this point. It would be interesting to see the government withdraw financial support from universities and allow them to sink or swim on their own. Then the failing universities will collapse and the elite universities will survive to create generations of capable, able human beings who will go on to become the leaders of the country.

Which universities do you think would survive?
Original post by anonwinner
Which universities do you think would survive?

Oxbridge ofc, LSE, and a few others.
We can start by shutting down all the 'met' unis (or equivalent) first. I'm pretty sure we'll be better off without them and the funding they receive could be put to better use..
Reply 7
Original post by InadequateJusticex
We can start by shutting down all the 'met' unis (or equivalent) first. I'm pretty sure we'll be better off without them and the funding they receive could be put to better use..

London Met could be converted into a car park or a landfill site
Don't think we should close all universities apart from them because we would be left with a massive shortage of degree holders, but i do think the former polytechnics shouldn't be universities
Why not?

Because then there would be nothing else to argue about on TSR.
Original post by Smack
Because then there would be nothing else to argue about on TSR.

Good point
Original post by kieran12321LFC
Don't think we should close all universities apart from them because we would be left with a massive shortage of degree holders, but i do think the former polytechnics shouldn't be universities

Honestly, if you can't get into Oxbridge then you don't really deserve a degree, in my opinion.

So 90% of UK students don't deserve a degree?
Reply 14
Only the elite universities deserve to survive, should the rest be shut down?

You can't make this up.
Reply 15
The bottom half should be transformed into the former polys.
Honestly, if you can't get into Oxbridge then you don't really deserve a degree, in my opinion.

but if such a small amount of people would be able to get into uni then the incentive to work harder would be dropped by many students, meaning lots more people would be lazy as they have nothing to work towards
Original post by Mayhem™
So 90% of UK students don't deserve a degree?

Correct.
FFS Wolverhampton is better than Oxbridge, how many times must I say this?
Reply 19
Nah, only Wolvo and London Met

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending