The Student Room Group

Applied for nursing but don't want to do it

Hi, I have applied for Adult Nursing and have gotten all offers for entry tests. However, I withdrew from Hertfordshire and Middlesex since is to far from where I live. I went to the City entry test and I failed it. I still have LSBU and Greenwich left but I don't want to go!

I have always been unsure about applying for nursing but have been pressured from teachers and parents to do so because of my good grades. I have looked at the Adult Nursing degree modules and do not like it as it is modules I study now and do not enjoy. However, I enjoy sociology more and even like the look of sociology degree modules in different universities. But, I fear the lack of jobs in sociology in the future!

I am very unsure of what I want to do in the future and my parents are not very keen of apprenticeships even though I don't mind doing it. I need help!
Original post by alittleglitter
Hi, I have applied for Adult Nursing and have gotten all offers for entry tests. However, I withdrew from Hertfordshire and Middlesex since is to far from where I live. I went to the City entry test and I failed it. I still have LSBU and Greenwich left but I don't want to go!

I have always been unsure about applying for nursing but have been pressured from teachers and parents to do so because of my good grades. I have looked at the Adult Nursing degree modules and do not like it as it is modules I study now and do not enjoy. However, I enjoy sociology more and even like the look of sociology degree modules in different universities. But, I fear the lack of jobs in sociology in the future!

I am very unsure of what I want to do in the future and my parents are not very keen of apprenticeships even though I don't mind doing it. I need help!

Do what you want, not your parents.
Don't commit to a course you don't want to do. If you don't want to be a nurse, don't do nursing. You'll struggle to motivate yourself while at the same time taking a place from someone who genuinely wants to be there.
There is always scope to change before you start the degree. Maybe see a careers advisor and talk it through . You could get an offer for nursing and transfer to sociology before you start the course at that specific university
If you want to take a degree that leads to a specific career but you don't want to be a nurse, you could look at social work - I have a friend who is a social worker and she mentioned that there was a fair amount of sociology and social policy in her degree.
Original post by alittleglitter

Please, please... If you don't want to be a nurse (Which is totally ok!), please don't take the place of someone who really does!

Nursing degrees have awful drop out rates, probably from those who weren't sure whether they really wanted to do it, which contributes to the widely publicised national shortage of nurses we have at the moment. Places need to be filled with those who want to do nursing and will commit to it 110% (It is a very challenging degree). I literally beg you, please don't do it unless you really want to.

Also, your happiness is at stake too, and that should come first. Do what YOU want to do, as it is you, and only you, who has to live with that decision. I really hope you find something that captures your interest but if nursing isn't it, pleade consider what I've said above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending