The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to drink alcohol, even in moderation?

Now my parents think even having a little bit of alcohol is bad as apparently you'll then get the urge to drink more & more & suddenly get "addicted/drunk" but that's more to do with their religion & how they've been conditioned I think. Personally I've tried a bit of alcohol before (gin & tonic, tequilla, rum, whiskey & cider so far) & I've not had any urge to drink any more (as it didn't really seem any more tastier than the non-alcoholic drinks I've had).

So basically, I think that there's nothing wrong with drinking alcohol in moderation as long as you don't get drunk, from my perspective as that is what I feel is dangerous & unnecessary, however if people want to get drunk that is their life & their own decision.

Scroll to see replies

Yes it is wrong.
Reply 2
No it's not wrong - in moderation is fine.

What religion are your parents?
Reply 3
In my opinion it's fine if you know how to control yourself. Unfortunately people can't do that, which is why others are opposed to drinking.
Good to see you back (:

That's incorrect, it's very difficult to become addicted to alcohol. Studies show actually drinking alcohol in moderation is better for you than refraining from it full stop.

So get drinking! :biggrin:
Why would anyone drink alcohol if heroin is still an option?
Reply 6
Catholic

I don't like it.

Obviously not Irish so don't bother asking
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Good to see you back (:

That's incorrect, it's very difficult to become addicted to alcohol. Studies show actually drinking alcohol in moderation is better for you than refraining from it full stop.

So get drinking! :biggrin:

This article clearly debunks this.

You will have to read the full article to see the flaws in the original studies.

Alcohol is a poison so I was always skeptical of any health benefits.

Why would you want to drink anyway it tastes horrible, you can usually tell a drink is alcoholic because it has that horrible taste.

I used to drink small amounts of alcohol but then I realised I was just drinking it because other people wanted me to or it was a traditional thing to do to celebrate New Year.

It also isn't that difficult to get addicted to alcohol as many people are alcoholics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
I dont have a problem with people who drink in moderation but I don't drink. Never really felt like it tbh even though all my friends do
Drinking alcohol without the intention of getting drunk is like buying a Big Mac without the intention of eating it.
3 months ago? I'd have said eww, alcohol, just poisoning your system.

Now? GIVE ME MORE VODKA
Reply 11
Its so obviously detrimental to our society that that along with several other bad habits should be prohibited. Its not a social lubricant as is sometimes claimed, rather than bringing peoples and groups together it actually seems to ferment tribalism, division and aggression.
I don't think its bad in moderation.

Then again in a thread I made about alcohol, I was told Desi girls like me aren't allowed to drink it.
Reply 13
Nothing wrong with it, in fact it has health benefits in moderation

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it isn't wrong.

The addiction argument is made by people who think that human beings have no self control.
Reply 15
Original post by OneUmmah
Its so obviously detrimental to our society that that along with several other bad habits should be prohibited.

They've tried that before elsewhere to disastrous results.

I'd rather live in a more free country with the benefits that brings at the cost of alcohol's social problems.
Reply 16
Original post by Reue
They've tried that before elsewhere to disastrous results.

I'd rather live in a more free country with the benefits that brings at the cost of alcohol's social problems.

Thats fine, just that women should accept the consequences that might happen as a result. Alcohol consumption is a risky venture after all.
Reply 17
Alcohol consumption is a risky venture after all.

As are a million and one things in this life. It's the risk/reward balance and in my opinion the rewards far outweigh the risks in this situation.

just that women should accept the consequences that might happen as a result.

Why only women?
I've drunk quite a lot for a 16 year old over the past week and I can say that it's made life a LOT more enjoyable, it helps you to relax etc. Sometimes I feel pressurised into drinking it tho, yesterday lunch time was the only time I've refused an offer to drink alcohol in a LOOOOONG time
Reply 19
Original post by Reue
As are a million and one things in this life. It's the risk/reward balance and in my opinion the rewards far outweigh the risks in this situation.

Why only women?

Not only they are far weaker physiologically, but also they clearly are very preoccupied about the issue of consent/rape. I would suggest if that is a major pre-occpupation then dont go out and drink..yer know stay home and study (its what your parents put you in to uni for in the first place). Better still prevent girls from ever having this dilemna by just having the balls to ban alcohol and implement Sharia tout suite.

Quick Reply

Latest